Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Would you be interested if Peloton opens up to other bikes
Quote | Reply
Though people complaining about the cost of the Peloton bike being over $2k, the margin on that thing can't be that great. I would think it's the monthly subscription fee that's driving their growth. If so, why wouldn't they open up the service to non-Peloton bikes, e.g. a regular bike with a power meter or a power-based trainer, with an app? Just curious, you would think it's gotta be something they are thinking about, no? I might be interested if the monthly fee is reasonable, e.g. under $25.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you be interested if Peloton opens up to other bikes [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would they decrease the monthly fee? Nobody would buy their bike. They're much more likely to charge extra per month if you aren't using their bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you be interested if Peloton opens up to other bikes [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since they haven't announced anything yet, and it's probably something they are thinking about, I am hoping to influence their pricing :)

But I do understand your point; but with a more open system, they may be able to open up another market segment beyond the premium spinners.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you be interested if Peloton opens up to other bikes [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I understand this already exists through their Peloton app. It's $12 per month and can be used on iPhone or iPad and with any bike.

Other than happening to see a reference to it a few days ago I've got no experience with it. Never used Peloton but considering getting my wife interested. She's an injured runner who's frustrated that her running days might be over.

https://www.onepeloton.com/ios
Quote Reply
Re: Would you be interested if Peloton opens up to other bikes [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, anyone with an account can already ride a workout on any bike. That is what Peleton owners do when they are traveling.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you be interested if Peloton opens up to other bikes [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's interesting... I didn't know they can do that. Is it basically an app accessing their video vault, and you follow along?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure that's it. I do not have a Peleton, but a friend of mine does. He uses the app on his iPhone when traveling. The app will connect to an external HRM, but I do not know for sure about a PM. Seems like it would. You could contact Peleton and ask.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you be interested if Peloton opens up to other bikes [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For my wife, yes I'd be all in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
That's interesting... I didn't know they can do that. Is it basically an app accessing their video vault, and you follow along?
Looks that way. Video workout library plus live session. iOS only though, not Android or Windows option. Too bad, this would probably appeal to my wife.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is what we are trying now. We do not need the fancy power meters but have downloaded the app to try. We are using an iPad and Apple TV to show it on a bigger screen. The classes are quite a bit better than anything currently streaming (and on dvd’s or videos) and there are 8000+ available including non cycling classes for general fitness.

It runs $13 per month and seems to be a great option.

drn92
Quote Reply
Re: Would you be interested if Peloton opens up to other bikes [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I understand, the best part of it is the competition with other riders (e.g., who's putting out more watts, etc). The app doesn't connect to HRMs, powertaps etc but the bike does. So the app is spin class -- which is great -- but if you want the full peloton experience you need to buy the full 2k package.

Is that necessary? Doesn't seem that it should be -- Ipads can connect to power meters, HRMs, cadence sensors, etc just as well as hardware on a spin bike. But if they opened up the app fully (and there's no reason they couldn't--an ipad has more functionality than the screen they use), their hardware sales might head straight down the tubes.

owner: world's tightest psoas (TM)
Quote Reply
Re: Would you be interested if Peloton opens up to other bikes [rumpole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rumpole wrote:
The app doesn't connect to HRMs, powertaps etc but the bike does.
According to Peleton's website, the app connects to "any Bluetooth-enabled heart rate monitor." I have read people's setup that have connected to cadence sensors also. The only thing I have not seen is a connection to a PM; though every post I saw was someone trying to setup on the cheap with a spin bike, so PM was not attempted.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you be interested if Peloton opens up to other bikes [rumpole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you are right, but we just want a nice spin class. The competition and social aspect is not something we are interested in. I think you can add Heart Rate, Cadence, and other sensors and even participate in the live classes via the app ... but we just wanted a little more motivation than just streaming music on our spin bike.

The bike itself is well constructed. The price point seems very fair when compared to other similar bikes. Their hook is definitely the $40 per month subscription service.

For us, our old spin bike still works great and $13 per month is a no brainer to add a little variety to our workouts. $2k for a bike and $40 per month was more than we were willing to spend.

drn92
Quote Reply