Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Doper turns himself in...
Quote | Reply
Not tri related, but still doping.

TL:DR
PGA golfer takes weight loss supliment, realizes after the fact there is a banned substance in it, calls PGA doping control on himself, gets 3 month suspension.

Do all the hardcore anti dopers think this guy is still scum?

http://ottawacitizen.com/...a2-b1f7-a24093c5a433

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply
Re: Doper turns himself in... [Leavitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard core anti-dopers? I didn't know there was a continuum regarding this. I guess I would qualify as hard core. I think this guy is awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leavitt wrote:

PGA golfer takes weight loss supliment, realizes after the fact there is a banned substance in it, calls PGA doping control on himself, gets 3 month suspension.

Seemed like an admirable thing to do when he realized his mistake. However, he is a professional athlete with coaches and trainers......who would have been in the know that he was on a weight loss regimen. Someone (the golfer or the people he hires) should have known to check it out.

Others on here will say he should be burned at the stake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that is totally golfer thing to do.
Quote Reply
Re: Doper turns himself in... [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:

true,

but...

I know a triathlete who was directed to a slight shortcut by course "marshal's" and realized it after being declared first overall. He DQ'd himself. And, this is a guy who would have probably won the race anyway.

Classy people can be found in lotsa places. I prefer to focus on them, rather than the dirtballs.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Doper turns himself in... [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If he didnt listen shouldnt he have been DQ'd for not listening to race personnel? Following directions from a Marshall shouldn't be DQ. I hate the that rule. Its a lose lose technicality. If acting in good faith, especially when its multiple athletes, DQ-ing athletes for following directions is bad.

That said golfer did the right thing. Glad he still had a punishment. Turning yourself in cant be a get out of jail free card.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The asinine thing about this is weight loss drugs being banned for golf.
Quote Reply
Re: Doper turns himself in... [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
Really, since when is a golfer an athlete. It's like saying a bowler is, and I'm a damn good bowler too :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
“Hard core anti dopers”

Like the people who want the existing rules, rules that were implemented to ensure a safe and level playing field, to be enforced? Is that who you’re talking about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:

The specific substance in question is also banned for triathlon (and all other sports govern by doping requirements). It's an anabolic steroid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leavitt wrote:

I'm a "hardcore" anti-doper. I think this guy is awesome.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Doper turns himself in... [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
Leavitt wrote:

Seemed like an admirable thing to do when he realized his mistake. However, he is a professional athlete with coaches and trainers......who would have been in the know that he was on a weight loss regimen. Someone (the golfer or the people he hires) should have known to check it out.

Others on here will say he should be burned at the stake.

I think you might be overstating how much professional and hired help a Web.com golfer can afford. Especially since he only played in one Web.com tournament in 2017 where he didn't make the cut. So to my knowledge, he did not have any tournament winnings in 2017.

It's not to say he shouldn't be responsible for knowing what he put in his body...but even full time PGA tour golfers don't all have hired trainers, nutritionists, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL quote from the article:

"The only thing I would ever test positive for is excessive Chick-fil-A."

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Doper turns himself in... [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
spntrxi wrote:

true,

but...

I know a triathlete who was directed to a slight shortcut by course "marshal's" and realized it after being declared first overall. He DQ'd himself. And, this is a guy who would have probably won the race anyway.

Classy people can be found in lotsa places. I prefer to focus on them, rather than the dirtballs.

I had the opposite experience.

The race leader was directed to go to far at the turn. Guy in 2'nd becomes the winner and the guy directed off course comes in 2'nd. The guy that "won" spoke with the guy that ran to far, the RD and the timers and the guy that was directed off course was given the overall win at the request of the guy that "won".

Following what a marshal tells you should not cause a DQ.
Quote Reply
Re: Doper turns himself in... [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Leavitt wrote:

I'm a "hardcore" anti-doper. I think this guy is awesome.

Ed I strongly agree with you. Whatever system of evaluation and justice we have has to reward those who are honest and not those who try to get away with it.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Doper turns himself in... [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well I consider myself a strong anti doper. But honestly if I was him, I would just try to flush it from my system and take 30 day vacation or maybe a retroactive TUE was possible if he was considered obese enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wouldn’t even call him a “doper.” Less “doper” and more just “being a dope” who acted irresponsibly in not doing his research, realized what he’d done, reported his actions and received a rightful suspension.

Doping would have been going somewhere, saying “hey buddy, load me up with DHEA, and do have any tips for dodging tests?” and generally doing his best to obtain and maintain an unfair advantage over his competitors.

This guy made a stupid mistake, fessed up, faced the consequences. Good sportsmanship, and a good lesson to his kids about owning up when you err.

[pink] He should’ve just gone Paleo anyhow. Would’ve fixed everything [pink]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:

The other asinine thing about this is golf and.....doping. I'm clearly just unimaginative, but aside from steroids, I can't conceive of a substance that might give someone a marked advantage in this athletic enterprise.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Doper turns himself in... [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:

The other asinine thing about this is golf and.....doping. I'm clearly just unimaginative, but aside from steroids, I can't conceive of a substance that might give someone a marked advantage in this athletic enterprise.
I've read about this and golfers seem to like added strength gains for the drive and beta-blockers to steady close range shots. Pretty common sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Doper turns himself in... [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thorax wrote:
domingjm wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:

I've read about this and golfers seem to like added strength gains for the drive and beta-blockers to steady close range shots. Pretty common sense.

the people that can't believe that X person in Y type of sport would dope blow my mind....

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Doper turns himself in... [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:
since when is a golfer an athlete.
This ^.
Also, 3-mo suspension is nothing.
In cycling, it's currently a 2-minimum, right?
Change 3-mo to 2yrs and this guy doesn't come fwd. He's no hero..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:

Not to fan the flames or anything, but professional golfers are required to walk their competitive rounds, no carts. So if this guy was really out of shape and somewhat obese, the performance advantages of being lighter (so the walking takes less out of him) seem obvious.
Quote Reply