Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TV height for pain cave. [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
You're all wrong!

I actually hope VR-indoor cycling becomes a real, legit awesome training tool. Lots of hurdles to overcome, but it could be the literal end-all of indoor bike training.

VR headsets have already become the de facto standard in high-level video game car racing (these guys are so good that real pro car teams recruit them specifically!)
Quote Reply
Re: TV height for pain cave. [Weimjagd1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I built this stand. Middle of the screen is about 41 inches high. It's a few feet in front of the bike. Wanted to fit a laptop shelf as well to watch Netflix while doing a workout, so it's a little higher than necessary to accomodate. Better than keeping my head down looking at the front wheel only to have a neck ache on race day.

Quote Reply
Re: TV height for pain cave. [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
AutomaticJack wrote:
I'm not making it sound like anything. Trig it out. If you make some gross assumptions - your face is 5 feet from the screen (that would be a big room), your eyes are about 41" off the floor, and the center of the monitor is 30" off the floor you are in a position to look about 35 feet down the road. That is better than I guessed but by no means safe. At 20 mph you cover 35 ft in 1.2 seconds.

Still not safe, and that's conservative.

When you are racing you should be looking straight down the road. When you are training you should be doing the same thing.

Well, you can do the math, but I can assure you I can see well over 150 feet down the road with no change in head position from the one I'm using on the trainer right now with a low TV. Again, your eyeballs dip, not the head. It's actually very unnatural to ride for an hour with your head dipped down!

It's totally not a problem, just from experience. You'll see fine, and your neck will be plenty strong from being in the aero position during training.

Perceptually, the horizon as you see it (assuming level terrain) is at your eye level. So ideally you would have the centre of the monitor about 41 inches off the floor, if that was your eye height while in aero on the trainer.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: TV height for pain cave. [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for taking time to measure and share info KG6.
I also will have enough things sore on race day that should be...and don't want anything sore that could have been prevented.

Now, the center of my screen is 45 inches off the ground and I will not be as close as you are, so I am definitely planning on lowering it when I replace the screen.

Maybe I am not hardcore enough...but I would put Netflix on the big one.
Quote Reply

Prev Next