Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Poll question
Quote | Reply
I've been watching the numbers on the current poll. I work for a shop and we love tubeless for everything including road riding. I was wondering why no love from the forum. Tubeless is the go to for mtb, we set up almost every gravel bike we sell tubeless and are starting to go that direction with road bikes, my current Venge is set up tubeless and I love it. Is there a reason it is not more popular.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Poll question [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you think is the advantage of tubeless for road/Tri?
Quote Reply
Re: Poll question [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flat protection, better road feel, ability to run lower pressure if needed.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Poll question [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride road, gravel, and mountain bikes. I just don't see an advantage on road or gravel bikes. The tire pressure is too high, and the volume too low. So even when the sealant works, you've lost a lot of pressure; you're likely pulling over to pump up the tire anyway. When the hole is too big, you have a big mess; sealant all over you and the bike as you keep the wheels turning and hoping that the sealant will eventually work.

Note the sealant does work for very small holes; thorns and small cuts. So my solution is to put some sealant in the tubes. That way, when a larger puncture does occur, there is minimal mess. I stop the bike (not keep riding hoping the sealant fixes the flat), replace the tube, and ride on.

So I get the minor flat protection of tubeless sealant, I didn't have to replace my wheels, and I don't have to deal with latex all over my equipment when I get a flat. I do this with my mountain bike as well; I just don't like the mess of the sealant when changing tires. I also don't own an air compressor, which may be required in order to get the initial bead seat/seal. (A huge downside to tubeless.)

EDIT: And one more consideration is tire selection; especially for road. It has only been relatively recently that the Crr on any tubeless tire was as low as good non-tubeless tires. And there was only a single low Crr tubeless tire last I checked.

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Last edited by: Paul Dunn: Jan 7, 18 17:22
Quote Reply