Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Miles vs time
Quote | Reply
So I started following the “be iron fit” program, (time within heart rate zones) for Ironman lake placid. This system Is driving me crazy, I mean my zone 2 is almost a quick walk (for example run 1:00 in zone 2). For 2017 I was completely new to the sport and just did the miles prescribed in my program. With this I ended up Finishing Ironman austin 70.3 in 7:00hrs and felt great, a little fatigued but felt that was due to poor nutrition.
So I’m wondering if I’m trying to fix something that wasn’t broken. Should I stay with the “time” or “miles”? What says the forum? Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Miles vs time [brosemail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can err on the 'faster' side for the early phases when you are still getting 'into shape.'

As you get progressive stronger, your run HR will come down and it'll be more reasonable to actually run (as opposed to a walk) at Z2, but early on, since you're not quite there, your HR will be higher than expected for a given effort until you get into shape. Just run easy and forget about the HR until you get to that point; typically the low volume at this point will prevent you from overtraining and injuries.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is not meant to be a dick comment, but finishing a 70.3 in 7hrs isn't really in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" category of results. I don't know your details, but I'd say you probably have a lot of room to improve. I understand the frustration, I think if you Google on it you will find others with similar stories (check Chris Hauth sp? Or Maffetone sp?) for some more info. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As you get faster, you cover more ground in a shorter period of time, so miles on week 1 aren't the same as miles on week 12 of a program. Your body doesn't care about how far you've covered, but it's well aware of whatever stress you're putting on it and for how long.

Also how are you getting your zones?
Quote Reply
Re: Miles vs time [Derekl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe you could give us a bit more information. There are a LOT of ways to do a 7 hr. 1/2 IM. What were your splits?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply