Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Tax Law a Beneficial Outcome for Renters
Quote | Reply
I've written plenty of articles in the past on the rent versus buy decision matrix. In some cases, renting is a better decision than buying when it comes to homes and apartments. Some people simply should not be homeowners, in other words.

Now comes news that, for the first time, renters come out net winners from the tax code, which had previously greatly favored homeowners.

“For over a century, the federal tax code catered to homeowners and treated renters like second-class citizens. Homeowners have been able to deduct interest on their mortgages, home-equity loans and property taxes. Meanwhile, everyone — including renters — footed the bill for these deductions by paying higher rates. The new tax law at last begins leveling the playing field between renters and homeowners.”

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: New Tax Law a Beneficial Outcome for Renters [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm fine with the change in mortgage deduction but the article falsely assumes that because one group of people get a tax deduction that the other group is paying for that deduction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thoroughly agree with you. I think it so unfair that those who can't afford a home are made to help subsidize ours. And to the 2nd post-doesn't a deduction mean that other tax payers are made to subsidize it? Plus when there is a deduction it seems to me that it encourages that action-i.e. mortgages, state income tax
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the new tax law is a huge win for the banks too.

Home Equity loan interest is no longer deductible - so if you want to take cash out of your house, you'll need to do a refinance.
Quote Reply
Re: New Tax Law a Beneficial Outcome for Renters [frenchfried] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frenchfried wrote:
I thoroughly agree with you. I think it so unfair that those who can't afford a home are made to help subsidize ours. And to the 2nd post-doesn't a deduction mean that other tax payers are made to subsidize it? Plus when there is a deduction it seems to me that it encourages that action-i.e. mortgages, state income tax

That, among other things are what people are talking about when they say low income citizens get the shaft.

Also, renters dont get property deductions but generally get a tax rebate, often in the amount of about 1 months rent.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe in the apartment renters vs homeowners case, but in the house renter vs homeowner case the rent will just rise to cover the costs.

So the real winners will be large apartment complex owners.

But it about time somebody had the guts to take a swipe at the mortgage deduction.
Quote Reply
Re: New Tax Law a Beneficial Outcome for Renters [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, I'll admit to being an idiot.

Can someone break this down how it will affect me:

Primary Mortgage--$420K
Home equity--$50K
Vacation home:--$110K

I'm getting confused on exactly how this will be going forward.

Also--I have occasionally rented out my vacation home in 2017. I am going to do this again in 2018. I just put $20K into the house with for kitchen, bath, basement.

I am a former landlord. Am I better claiming this as a rental? Formerly I would say yes. I would claim the rent as income and then deduct the expenses.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: New Tax Law a Beneficial Outcome for Renters [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
Maybe in the apartment renters vs homeowners case, but in the house renter vs homeowner case the rent will just rise to cover the costs.

So the real winners will be large apartment complex owners.

But it about time somebody had the guts to take a swipe at the mortgage deduction.

It depends. For the last decade it seems like apartment rents have gone only one way: up. In many markets, the additional inventory that will come available over the next 6-12 months will be sufficient to cool rental increases... and perhaps lead to decreases. You are seeing that now in Chicago. JDL has completed about 600 units in the last six months and they're only about 40% full at the moment (nice buildings in nice neighborhoods). They'll have to lower asking rents to fill those units.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that I have been proclaiming that indirect subsidies need to be considered for ~10 years here in the LR. Glad to see that everybody finally agrees with me....

Of course, it remains more complex. Rental prices will simply rise to cover most of the additional costs, until a different steady-state is reached. Most of this is "zero-sum". The biggest danger is that such abrupt actions could lead to major depreciation in housing assets which would be deflationary. Most "conservatives" here spent a generation arguing for (and largely winning) the basic viewpoint that growth is inherently the highest goal. Moderate Dems (Obama/Clintons/Everyone to the right of Bernie) embrace that, while pointing out that the indirect subsidies create obvious inequalities, and carried to an extreme, are unsustainable. Glad to have you, comrade BK ;)!
Last edited by: oldandslow: Jan 7, 18 17:54
Quote Reply
Re: New Tax Law a Beneficial Outcome for Renters [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m glad my landlord is 95 years old and house paid off decades ago

Won’t be glad when she passes tho
Quote Reply
Re: New Tax Law a Beneficial Outcome for Renters [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And thank goodness for Prop 13.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris, you will get a reality check soon enough.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: New Tax Law a Beneficial Outcome for Renters [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meaning..... ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meaning...
Your landlord is going to want market rate ;>)
and you live in a nice neighborhood.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: New Tax Law a Beneficial Outcome for Renters [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Luckily we've been there 13 years and pay waaaaay under market (by about $1k). SHe's started bumping up slowly, but $100 per year. We've been spoiled for sure. I'm not looking forward to the day they want to sell after she passes.
Quote Reply