Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New bike shopping is hard for my fit (small female), help! [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
As Tessar said - cutting a post is not unusual. I end up cutting it on nearly every Cervelo I sell, it's just part of the set up.
And I frequently have to cut seatposts during fits as stores just make the rider stretch instead of doing the job properly.

I designed the subsonic bar specifically to help people in your situation (it's not intended to be a bar for everyone). To allow you to get low, with a clean setup and still have adjustment room. You would start with a spacer or two under the bars (not the stem) which will mean you can easily try going lower in future (only low stack clipon that really works with spacers).

If you wanted a wider range of aerobar options we'd be looking at an MTB dropped stem. I'm trying to keep you using fairly standard components.

From the sound of it - 145 cranks might be worth trying - would open hips and raise stack so you're not pushing boundaries as much.

So far based on all of your much appreciated input. I'm leaning towards picking up a Felt IA 16, the TriRig X (hopefully with the gamma one extenders), and eTap to start to build my perfect ride. I'm not sold on staying on my Cervelo (despite the cost of buying new race wheels) and it appears felt has correct for the aero issue of 700 wheels on the 48 from what I can read. Bummed I gotta go all without trying an of this before buying!
Quote Reply
Re: New bike shopping is hard for my fit (small female), help! [rinliz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any particular reason why you want eTap?
Quote Reply
Re: New bike shopping is hard for my fit (small female), help! [rinliz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rinliz wrote:
So far based on all of your much appreciated input. I'm leaning towards picking up a Felt IA 16, the TriRig X (hopefully with the gamma one extenders), and eTap to start to build my perfect ride. I'm not sold on staying on my Cervelo (despite the cost of buying new race wheels) and it appears felt has correct for the aero issue of 700 wheels on the 48 from what I can read. Bummed I gotta go all without trying an of this before buying!

The geometry of the IA is very well sorted, you can't do any better with 700 wheels.
The last time I test rode a bike before buying was 1995... (there have been 40 something of them since then). Test riding a bike that isn't set up perfectly is pointless.

A tririg Alpha X will require undermount to hit your numbers. An Alpha one can do it without undermount
Quote Reply
Re: New bike shopping is hard for my fit (small female), help! [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
rinliz wrote:

The geometry of the IA is very well sorted, you can't do any better with 700 wheels.
The last time I test rode a bike before buying was 1995... (there have been 40 something of them since then). Test riding a bike that isn't set up perfectly is pointless.

A tririg Alpha X will require undermount to hit your numbers. An Alpha one can do it without undermount

Alpha X can do it with slammed adapter as well

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: New bike shopping is hard for my fit (small female), help! [bet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am pretty sure that Zipp has never made their 808 wheels in the 650 size.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike shopping is hard for my fit (small female), help! [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

True, but that adds other complications (and expense).
Quote Reply
Re: New bike shopping is hard for my fit (small female), help! [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Any particular reason why you want eTap?

I like the precision shifting and simplicity of it. It's got great reviews for durability, reliability and functionality. Most riders I know have told me to stay away from Di2. Haven't heard anyone riding eTap complain yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rinliz wrote:
With the upcoming season approaching quickly and training ramping up, what is driving my decision making is knowing my fit sucks right now and things need to change. I started this search months ago. I'm incredibly uncomfortable and the only appropriate training I can do is in the upright position.

Yikes! Seems like that should get fixed first, before looking at new bikes. Especially because you might change your mind on fitting.

You said earlier you have a 100mm stem. If you need a longer reach, then why not a longer stem? I have a 140mm horizontal stem on my road bike. Higher angle (drop) stems are commonly available up to 120mm if you'd like lower pad stack as well.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike shopping is hard for my fit (small female), help! [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, I have a possibly dumb question based on your photos. Do you have rather long shins for your height? I'm just playing along voyeur-style with the fix my fit posts, but your shins look long to me.

I'm also 5'3" and have been told I have long femurs for my height. I used to ride a 48 cm P2C but had the opposite problem - too stretched out, as all my height is in my legs (I'm short-waisted). And for what it's worth, despite also having race wheels, I was still happy to get rid of the 650's. (Good riddance!)

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd research what Emma Pooley that just joined the GCN show has done. They made a comment about her size and her bikes recently that seemed helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike shopping is hard for my fit (small female), help! [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This (almost) describes me perfectly (all femurs, no torso) except I am a bit shorter at 5-2. I am currently on an old (2008) 48cm P2C but am in the process of researching a new bike. My most recent fit (quickfit at a ST roadshow) recommended a newer 45cm P3 or P5 but I am wondering if I have any other options. What are you riding now?

I am also not opposed to the 650 wheels. I've had them for so long that I think I just adapted.....

Tsunami wrote:

I'm also 5'3" and have been told I have long femurs for my height. I used to ride a 48 cm P2C but had the opposite problem - too stretched out, as all my height is in my legs (I'm short-waisted). And for what it's worth, despite also having race wheels, I was still happy to get rid of the 650's. (Good riddance!)
Quote Reply
Re: New bike shopping is hard for my fit (small female), help! [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't want to hijack the thread but to answer your question, 48 cm Slice (2015). One of my teammates is also on one and she may be 5'1". IMO, she'd be happier with a shorter crank than the stock 165 mm (her hips rock when I sit behind her in the cycling studio), but I didn't do her fitting (and nor am I qualified to).

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike shopping is hard for my fit (small female), help! [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I am pretty sure that Zipp has never made their 808 wheels in the 650 size.

they haven't I've checked! 404s only, but if you look at a 404 in 650s on the bike they look like 808s b/c the wheel is so small :)
Quote Reply
Re: New bike shopping is hard for my fit (small female), help! [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
Hey, I have a possibly dumb question based on your photos. Do you have rather long shins for your height? I'm just playing along voyeur-style with the fix my fit posts, but your shins look long to me.

No just short legs in general, long torso in my case! I am leaning toward the new bike to bump up to the 700s, despite initial cost, I'll be happy not to need last minute tires and have to pay a boat load in shipping fees to expedite them pre race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

cyclenutnz wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

True, but that adds other complications (and expense).

What's the complication specifically? The Alpha One is $250 more than the X, so adding the slammed adapter makes the cost a draw. Though $250 seems a high price to pay when the included undermount clamps will do the job.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike shopping is hard for my fit (small female), help! [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

Yikes! Seems like that should get fixed first, before looking at new bikes. Especially because you might change your mind on fitting.

That's the point of this thread and the new fit she just had done. Now sh'e looking for a bike that will accomodate the new fit.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike shopping is hard for my fit (small female), help! [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:

What's the complication specifically? The Alpha One is $250 more than the X, so adding the slammed adapter makes the cost a draw. Though $250 seems a high price to pay when the included undermount clamps will do the job.

Complications from a fit/adjustment perspective. I don't like bars where stack changes alter the pad-grip relationship. Also it doesn't tilt. The 10deg spacer is a useful bodge but still limited.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
That's the point of this thread and the new fit she just had done. Now sh'e looking for a bike that will accomodate the new fit.

She posted that yesterday, so I don't think the P2 is set up the way she wants it. And the P2 *will* accommodate the new fit; it's easily adjustable. Fits need to be ridden quite a bit and adjusted if needed.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike shopping is hard for my fit (small female), help! [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct - the P2 has not been set up to match the new fit. She's not particularly interested in keeping the P2, regardless of whether or not it can be made to fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:

Complications from a fit/adjustment perspective. I don't like bars where stack changes alter the pad-grip relationship. Also it doesn't tilt. The 10deg spacer is a useful bodge but still limited.

Unfortunate that the Alpha One isn't available for a few months. The initial production is already covered by pre-orders.
Quote Reply

Prev Next