Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Longboat Key Triathlon info
Quote | Reply
http://www.longboatkeytriathlon.com/

Does anyone know anything about this race? I'm here in Naples, realizing that although January is a great time for a Florida vacation, it's not a great time for a Florida triathlon vacation. This weekend is the best weather that the Hits race has had in three years and it's still not the best for getting out of the water and getting on the bike. So I'm looking for an alternative and I found Longboat Key. It looks like it could be a nice trip. Does anyone have any information about the race?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Longboat Key Triathlon info [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The race is held twice a year. I did it long ago and it was so thoroughly hosed up that I vowed not to return. But many years have passed and I took advantage of an early sign up for the Fall 2018 edition which was moved from its typical Oct time frame to mid-Nov.

I'll be doing the international distance. My memories of the race were a much shorter than advertised swim; first come-first served open racking; a straight-forward, flat, out&back bike course, and a crazy run on the golf cart paths.
Quote Reply
Re: Longboat Key Triathlon info [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Second above comment..

Swim in cove and unless jellyfish(made duathlon last oct)are abundant the swim is decent and now closer to advertised distance. Flat out and back bike both distances with minimal turns. Very little traffic early but there was vehicle caused accident last fall I think leaving resort and hitting main stretch. But there are police I think in at least 2 spots. Run is flat and usually hot no matter when. Out and back for short distance 2 loops for longer.

They have maps on website. Parking ok and first come first racked. Spread after event pretty decent with typical awards. They tale pics of placers I guess for local news.

All in all I like going to Sarasota, prefer it to siesta key race, though it has been a decade or so since I went to that one. Lido has pool, la fitness in couple locations, chart house, utc shopping center 20 minutes from race site. You can stay near utc area and visit nathan benderson where they have rowing and world iTu races (check YouTube) if you want to do a prerace loosen up session.

I plan on going back next fall. Good luck. Miami race group puts several events on up at fort desoto on southern tip of st. Pete and is nice too. Escape from desoto usually early in race season too.
Last edited by: tyrod1: Jan 6, 18 19:16
Quote Reply