Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Most Unlikely Ever To Win Kona [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Feel your pain Thomas. Whilst not an athlete at your level (and certainly not racing for my livelihood), I was hit pretty hard with mono a couple of years back when my running was at its best ever, and I feel like I lost something that I've never since gained back.

Part of the impact with my infection was impaired liver function and really reduced hemoglobin.. my hematocrit went from that of a (fairly) competitive AGer to an untrained smoking pensioner overnight. I don't really have the science or the language to accurately describe what has happened, but I wonder if my hematocrit didn't ever recover post-illness back to where it was 6 weeks before when I was fit, and it sort of feels like I lost my "aerobic base" and now need to re-earn it, if that makes any sense. I've had breaks of a similar duration before for one reason or another, but when you've enough years of training in the bank you always feel like you have a baseline of aerobic ability to come back to. This felt very different for me.

I am quite sure that I brought on the infection by letting my defences down through overtraining/under-resting, as I was carrying on in spite of illness and very little sleep (young kids). Years of aerobic training washed down the shitter because I was too pigheaded to miss a few sessions. Still nowhere near where I was 2 years down the line, not even close.

Epstein-Barr is a dickhead... but I am potentially a bigger dickhead :-).

Back to the original topic, I also find it hard to look past Chrissie as a surprise winner.... bearing in mind nobody knew then what we all know now. But as we found out, it certainly wasn't just one great day.
Quote Reply
Re: The Most Unlikely Ever To Win Kona [Spandexboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spandexboy wrote:
and DNF'd after not getting a crucial special needs bag on the bike in 2017.

Imagine if they had aid stations every 10-15 miles where he could have eaten or drunk something else. Crazy thought.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: The Most Unlikely Ever To Win Kona [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I go with LVL. First time there and was a surprise especially beating Hell on Wheels. On women's side, Heather Fuhr.
Quote Reply
Re: The Most Unlikely Ever To Win Kona [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: The Most Unlikely Ever To Win Kona [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's interesting about the names mentioned here is they are winners - at least ounce. What I find more interesting are those that finish in the top-5 or 3 and one expects, then to take the next step, and then take the win in the next year or two. That is a known pattern for many of the winners. However, what of those top-5 to 3 finishers who for them, that's a high-water mark - it never get's better for them after that, despite repeat attempts. I'm thinking of someone like Luke McKenzine. So in that light - what about a Lionel Sanders or David MacNemee or Lucy Charles? Will they be able to make the final step or two, or is that the Best Ever for them at Kona?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next