Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Calling Slowtwitch Technical Support - Kickr Speed AND Ant+Dongle
Quote | Reply
Couple of questions, largely unrelated but I only wanted to start one thread. Relevant Devices/Software I am currently using:
  • Kickr V3
  • PowerTap P1 Pedals
  • iPhone 7 (newer power input, lightening adapter or whatever you call it)
  • iPad (older version w/ older power plug)
  • Garmin Edge 500
  • Garmin Footpod
  • Garmin HRM
  • TrainerRoad
---
First Question(s): I am interested in getting an Ant+ dongle to connect my Ant+ devices to either my iPad or my iPhone (I don't care which). Can someone help me with my best options? I am looking at a wahoo key that would interface with the old iPad input, but I am wondering if there are better options. The Key is sold out at most places.

The reasons I want to connect via ANT+ to the iPhone or iPad are the following:
  • TrainerRoad (TR) only reads left power from PowerTap P1 via Bluetooth. My understanding is that with Ant+ it will read Total Power. Can anyone verify this? Why does this matter to me? When TR controls my kickr for a 300 watt interval, my garmin can read 10-15 watts higher if my L/R balance is 48/52. It is not a ton, but I would like my Kickr to be controlled via TR based off my total power.
  • Heart Rate in TR is a bonus
  • I want to try Zwift but I am not willing to give up on TR. Ideally I would have zwift on one device just reading power with TR on another device controlling the kickr using powermatch with my P1. With Bluetooth I cannot do this because the P1 can only connect to one device at a time. If one device connects via ANT+ I think this would work
  • I am interested in trying Zwift for running as well, so ideally I can connect my ANT+ Garmin Footpod

Is all of this reasonable? If so, can someone recommend an ant+ dongle, for iphone or ipad. Lower the cost the better.

---
Second Question: Is there a way to have the Kickr report speed/district to my garmin 500 while using my P1 as the power source?

I think I can connect the Kickr to my 500 as a power meter, BUT I want my P1 as the power source. Why do I care about speed and distance on the trainer? I don't but strava, and subsequently the slowtwitch training log, seems to care. My 500 syncs to training peaks and strava. In training peaks it is no problem, but stava is reading my bike workouts based on moving time. I can spend 90 min on the trainer and strava will record 20-40 seconds total. Ultimately I do not care speed or distance the kicker is reporting, but ideally strava would show my riding for 90 minutes, instead of some useless 20 second ride. Is there anyway around this?
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Slowtwitch Technical Support - Kickr Speed AND Ant+Dongle [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use this with my iPad. https://www.wahoofitness.com/...sensors/wahoo-key-16

However, some people have been having issues with the newest iOS update and using this key.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Slowtwitch Technical Support - Kickr Speed AND Ant+Dongle [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Wahoo key that I basically don't use. But I'm not sure that's goingto help you; Zwift won't work on an iPad that old (not sure about TrainerRoad), and apparently Apple is being bitchy about the Wahoo key if you connect it using a 30-pin-to-lightning adapter to a newer iPhone or iPad.

Having said that, if you want the key you can have it for $20 or so (if I can find it :-)

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TennesseeJed wrote:
Couple of questions, largely unrelated but I only wanted to start one thread. Relevant Devices/Software I am currently using:
  • Kickr V3
  • PowerTap P1 Pedals
  • Garmin Edge 500
  • Garmin Footpod
  • Garmin HRM
  • TrainerRoad
---
First Question(s): I am interested in getting an Ant+ dongle to connect my Ant+ devices to either my iPad or my iPhone (I don't care which). Can someone help me with my best options? I am looking at a wahoo key that would interface with the old iPad input, but I am wondering if there are better options. The Key is sold out at most places.

• TrainerRoad (TR) only reads left power from PowerTap P1 via Bluetooth. My understanding is that with Ant+ it will read Total Power. Can anyone verify this? Why does this matter to me? When TR controls my kickr for a 300 watt interval, my garmin can read 10-15 watts higher if my L/R balance is 48/52. It is not a ton, but I would like my Kickr to be controlled via TR based off my total power.
  • I want to try Zwift but I am not willing to give up on TR. Ideally I would have zwift on one device just reading power with TR on another device controlling the kickr using powermatch with my P1. With Bluetooth I cannot do this because the P1 can only connect to one device at a time. If one device connects via ANT+ I think this would work
  • I am interested in trying Zwift for running as well, so ideally I can connect my ANT+ Garmin Footpod

Is all of this reasonable? If so, can someone recommend an ant+ dongle, for iphone or ipad. Lower the cost the better.

---
Second Question: Is there a way to have the Kickr report speed/district to my garmin 500 while using my P1 as the power source?

I think I can connect the Kickr to my 500 as a power meter, BUT I want my P1 as the power source. Why do I care about speed and distance on the trainer? I don't but strava, and subsequently the slowtwitch training log, seems to care. My 500 syncs to training peaks and strava. In training peaks it is no problem, but stava is reading my bike workouts based on moving time. I can spend 90 min on the trainer and strava will record 20-40 seconds total. Ultimately I do not care speed or distance the kicker is reporting, but ideally strava would show my riding for 90 minutes, instead of some useless 20 second ride. Is there anyway around this?

Hey there!

My name is Bryce and I work for TrainerRoad!

I can confirm that you are totally correct with all of your Question 1 assertions. By using ANT+, it will allow you to recieve your total power from your P1 pedals, as well as pair to Zwift and TR at the same time more easily. As for the ANT+ dongle, there is exactly one dongle that works universally with third party apps such as TrainerRoad and Zwift. Unfortunately, it does not come cheap and requires an Official Apple 30 pin to lightning adapter.

Wahoo ANT+ Key: https://en.ciclimattio.com/...id=21688&m=34368

Apple 30 pin to lightning adapter: https://www.amazon.com/...to+lightning+adapter

Regarding your second question, I don't think there is a way to pair the Kickr to your Garmin as only a speed sensor. There is however an easy way to solve the Strava mileage issue. I would recommend connecting TrainerRoad to Strava via our Ride Sync feature. This will allow us to export your TrainerRoad ride directly to Strava, and it will contain your P1 power, a speed/ distance reading from your Kickr (which remember is not exactly reliable) and the correct working time.

The added benefit of this is that it allows you to eliminate the need to use your Garmin during your workout :)
You can access Ride Sync here: https://www.trainerroad.com/profile/sync

If you have any more tech related questions, we have a dedicated support team at TrainerRoad that is more than happy to answer all of your tech related questions :) They can be reached at support@trainerroad.com.

Have a great day!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TennesseeJed wrote:
  • Kickr V3
  • PowerTap P1 Pedals
  • Garmin Edge 500
  • Garmin Footpod
  • Garmin HRM
  • TrainerRoad
---

---

The Wahoo Key is "kind" of not compatible with the latest iOS. Some blaming this on Apple but I blame it on Wahoo for not updating the key in ages. Plus, if you get the key you have to get the 30-pin to lightning adapter which is just as expensive as the key. Either way, I wouldn't recommend this option unless Wahoo update the key.

To solve all your issues, Get an Ant+ to BLE bridge. You can either get the Cable or 4iiii. Pair all your ANT+ devices to the bridge and it will transmit the signal in BLE and you can pair it to your iPad/iPhone without worrying about ANT keys.

As for TrainerRoad and Zwift, I do this all the time. My current setup is as follow:
- Zwift on Apple TV (pair to my powermeter, cadence, HR) via 4iiii bridge.
- TR on my iPad: Pair to my trainer via Bluetooth.

TR will control my trainer and Zwift will record my full workout. Just make sure you only pair powermeter in Zwift and leave the controllable trainer unpaired.

If you pair your Wahoo to Garmin as a trainer, it should read your speed but it's meaningless IMO.

Hopefully that answers all your questions.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply