Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How about this for a "taper"...my rant.
Quote | Reply
Thanks in advance for letting me vent a little.

A Race is tomorrow, HITS 1/2IM in Naples, FL. Here's what's happened the last 2 weeks....'
1) MAJOR cold front has moved it. It's going to be ~45 degrees at the start of the bike. That sucks (yes, could be a lot worse, I know)

2) I got a sinus infection on Tuesday, and have been on antibiotics, which typically cause diarrhea. For me, the opposite. I'm stopped up.

3) 2 weeks ago, I slightly strained my calf. I have stayed off of my feet the last two weeks, in hopes that it would recover. 3 days ago, I purchased new shoes (Brooks Ghosts 10) as I thought my Hokas were the issue. After 20 seconds of running in the new shoes to break them in, my calf started hurting again. So, now, I've got to make a decision....which shoes. Hokas that MAY have caused the calf problem -OR- the Ghosts which MAY solve the problem, but have never been worn in. (Pretty sure my decision will be the Hokas.)

My solutions to all this has been:
- heat the calf as best/often as I can
- take antibiotics PLUS a probiotic
- take Alleve, 1 pill 2x/day Wed/Thurs/Fri, in hopes it will relieve pain/swelling (won't take AM of the race)

Of course, this all mean my stomach may be a wreck tomorrow, all while my frostbitten fingers (drama queen, I know) are in pain.

I know, this is Slowtwitch, not a pity party. But, this is a good release for me. Family doesn't quite get it, even though I've been in tri's for a LONG time. Thanks for indulging.
Quote Reply
Re: How about this for a "taper"...my rant. [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck.

Hits napa had conditions like yours this year. Many had to quit bike and race because their hands would not work

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look on the bright side, at least we won't be 40 miles from all our warm pre-race clothes.

You think we're swimming tomorrow?
Quote Reply
Re: How about this for a "taper"...my rant. [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That does not make me feel better. I've got some gloves that are 'eh', but that's it. By ~10am, it's going to be about 55 degrees and very sunny, so I'm hoping that I'll be able to make it until then.
Quote Reply
Re: How about this for a "taper"...my rant. [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eganski wrote:
Look on the bright side, at least we won't be 40 miles from all our warm pre-race clothes.

You think we're swimming tomorrow?

Honestly, I'll be PO'ed if we don't. The water will be warmer than the air temp! I haven't seen any wind conditions, so I'm assuming the water will be relatively calm.

Where are you staying? I'm making arrangements as I type! Drive from Tampa in a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Headwind-out of the NNE 5-10mph, meaning tailwind for the last 15 miles back to Ave. I think the water will calm down a bit, and be pretty smooth tomorrow. I live in Naples.

I would also be pissed if we don't swim, but there the athlete guide does mention that the swim can be cancelled or the race delayed if the air temp is below 41.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimming before a cold race is not real safe. Did at imlt 2013. Did at hits this year. Issue is one is so cold it is just about impossible to get warm clothes on. And starting with the core temp cold is ...

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Swimming before a cold race is not real safe. Did at imlt 2013. Did at hits this year. Issue is one is so cold it is just about impossible to get warm clothes on. And starting with the core temp cold is ...

I'm a Florida boy, so only train/race in heat (except tomorrow!), so my question is one of ignorance. How do these IM races in Norway or REAL cold weather locations do it then? Water is way colder than the gulf, and air temp has to be cold too, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For cold races, like in spring here in CO when often the water is in the mid to upper 50's and air temp is in the 40's, this is what I do:

1: cut out a piece of space blanket the size of your torso and put it under your tri suit covering your chest and stomach.

2: put arm warmers on underneath your wetsuit. Trying to put them on when you're wet is a pain in the ass. They will be dry after just a few minutes of riding.

3: have toe warmers pre-attached to your bike shoes.

4: put socks on in T1

5: put gloves on in T1

That's it. You'll be fine. Warm and aero.

Edit: if needed you could put knee warmers on under your wetsuit too but I have never done that.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Jan 5, 18 7:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
poor baby... ;-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mjpwooo wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

I'm a Florida boy, so only train/race in heat (except tomorrow!), so my question is one of ignorance. How do these IM races in Norway or REAL cold weather locations do it then? Water is way colder than the gulf, and air temp has to be cold too, right?

Those races are in the summer, when it's at least 50, and more likely over 60. That's perfectly fine cycling weather. Reykjavik (which is the most extreme race I've heard of, climate wise) has a daily mean of just over 50 in July.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: How about this for a "taper"...my rant. [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
poor baby... ;-)

Haha! How's this to top it off...

- I actually shaved my legs for the first time for this damn race. Against my wife's wishes, and I will certainly take a lot of flack from family....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another question, what do I do with my gloves once I warm up? Do I ditch them or do I keep them on my hands?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely don't toss your gloves on to the course. Drop em in T2 of you're too warm.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

Last year on the 2nd day (Oly + Sprint) the air temperature was in the upper 30s and it was very windy. They put them in the water anyway even though it was not swimmable due to the surf. Meanwhile, I turned in my chip and just went for a run.
Quote Reply
Re: How about this for a "taper"...my rant. [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
mjpwooo wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Those races are in the summer, when it's at least 50, and more likely over 60. That's perfectly fine cycling weather. Reykjavik (which is the most extreme race I've heard of, climate wise) has a daily mean of just over 50 in July.

Challenge Iceland lasted 2 editions before being canx for lack of a sponsor.
Quote Reply
Re: How about this for a "taper"...my rant. [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Last year on the 2nd day (Oly + Sprint) the air temperature was in the upper 30s and it was very windy. They put them in the water anyway even though it was not swimmable due to the surf. Meanwhile, I turned in my chip and just went for a run.

Smart

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I had running pants on a wind jacket, hat and gloves and it was COLD. I watched guys going out on the bike in wet trisuits and thought they were nuts. Some had put on cycling jackets but that still would have been miserably cold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

2) I got a sinus infection on Tuesday, and have been on antibiotics, which typically cause diarrhea. For me, the opposite. I'm stopped up.

Nope.. racedaygods will pull that plug on raceday.
Please dont wear a white racesuit
Last edited by: Fusion: Jan 5, 18 11:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mjpwooo wrote:
Thanks in advance for letting me vent a little.

A Race is tomorrow, HITS 1/2IM in Naples, FL. Here's what's happened the last 2 weeks....'
1) MAJOR cold front has moved it. It's going to be ~45 degrees at the start of the bike. That sucks (yes, could be a lot worse, I know)

3) 2 weeks ago, I slightly strained my calf. I have stayed off of my feet the last two weeks, in hopes that it would recover. 3 days ago, I purchased new shoes (Brooks Ghosts 10) as I thought my Hokas were the issue. After 20 seconds of running in the new shoes to break them in, my calf started hurting again. So, now, I've got to make a decision....which shoes. Hokas that MAY have caused the calf problem -OR- the Ghosts which MAY solve the problem, but have never been worn in. (Pretty sure my decision will be the Hokas.)

My solutions to all this has been:
- heat the calf as best/often as I can
- take antibiotics PLUS a probiotic
- take Alleve, 1 pill 2x/day Wed/Thurs/Fri, in hopes it will relieve pain/swelling (won't take AM of the race)

Of course, this all mean my stomach may be a wreck tomorrow, all while my frostbitten fingers (drama queen, I know) are in pain.

I know, this is Slowtwitch, not a pity party. But, this is a good release for me. Family doesn't quite get it, even though I've been in tri's for a LONG time. Thanks for indulging.

The VAST majority of "sinus infections" are viral and antibiotics are usually not indicated, per all guidelines. All you usually get are side effects (i.e. diarrhea) so you could consider stopping...

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on becoming a real triathlete ; )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i bought new shoes 3 days before my first IM and i made the decision to run in them for the same reason you mentioned - lingering injury/pain and a blown out pair of shoes that i'd put hours and hours on during training. the blisters started at mile 8 and of all the (many) things i did wrong that day, that might be the thing that hurt the most. my advice is to dance with the one that brought you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My $0.03:
(1) 45 isn't that cold when you're actually racing, at least not for me. I don't even add much clothing for 45 relative to summer. Before and after the race is another story.
(2) If you're on antibiotics and Aleve just to get out the door, I would strongly consider not racing. I know it's your A race, but sometimes things don't go your way.
(3) I would add a nasal spray like a Flonase for the sinus infection (whether or not your race) as it is allowed and will help as much as the antibiotic.

(I have nothing useful to say about the shoes and I doubt anyone else does either. If you don't know what shoes reliably work for you at this point, it's too late.)
Quote Reply