Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Time for a comportment check [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
what i've decided to do is keep the moderation pretty much as it is. but i think there are a few people who go out of their way to leverage the loose moderation, and are needlessly abusive in their comments to others. i've asked them to leave. sort of.

i don't mind topics that are edgy. i don't care what political views you have. i don't mind anyone who defends political views. but those who are strident, and are internet bullies, and who go out of their ways not to challenge but to offend or to shout down, that pushes people away and you don't hear from those people. but i do.

I don’t care one way or the other if you want to tighten the screws in the lavender room. But for the love of god, would you please lock that damn crank length thread of H2Ofun’s in the tri forum?

Actually I see that it hasn’t had a reply for theee days - please tell did you slap Dave/Frank with the ban hammer?
Quote Reply
Re: Time for a comportment check [ChrisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisT wrote:
Slowman wrote:
what i've decided to do is keep the moderation pretty much as it is. but i think there are a few people who go out of their way to leverage the loose moderation, and are needlessly abusive in their comments to others. i've asked them to leave. sort of.

i don't mind topics that are edgy. i don't care what political views you have. i don't mind anyone who defends political views. but those who are strident, and are internet bullies, and who go out of their ways not to challenge but to offend or to shout down, that pushes people away and you don't hear from those people. but i do.

I don’t care one way or the other if you want to tighten the screws in the lavender room. But for the love of god, would you please lock that damn crank length thread of H2Ofun’s in the tri forum?

Actually I see that it hasn’t had a reply for theee days - please tell did you slap Dave/Frank with the ban hammer?

dave and i chat.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
... i "need the clicks". no, i don't. i don't need the clicks; ...

Man I need better glasses first time I read this those cl 's read as d 's and I was like say WHAT>

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Time for a comportment check [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Slowman wrote:
... i "need the clicks". no, i don't. i don't need the clicks; ...

Man I need better glasses first time I read this those cl 's read as d 's and I was like say WHAT>

i don't need them either. i have all i need ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Time for a comportment check [buddhabelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buddhabelly wrote:
But if one of them asked you to call them by their real name and not your made up nick name would you still keep calling them by that made up nick name?

I radiate fun and goodhumor. Someone would have to be a real sourpuss to find offense in the goodnatured foolishness. If they were that sour of person, we'd probably not be buddies.

When folks perceive you as a really good guy and full of fun, you can get away with a lot. But if folks perceive you as a mean-spirited bully, they call you on your snide remarks, and rightly so. The same lines and jokes can be used, but when bully uses them they are snide.

Internet user Joe sees good people everywhere and cuts them lots of slack. He assumes attempts at humor are not meant with meanness. Joe's optimism and kind-heartedness is infectious and everyone in the AO (area of operations) gets long better for it. When he makes a joke, people understand that he's just trying to make them smile. They wouldn't dream of looking for offense.

Internet user Fred is a complainer and is full of criticism. He treats people poorly. He puts down others because he perceives that makes him look better. He makes jokes at other's expense. It's immediately tiresome. It's not hard to be offended by Fred.

Be like Joe. See yourself surrounded be well meaning buddies full of fun and clever put-downs. Appreciate the humor in it because they are your friends. They'll treat you the same way.

Don't be a Fred.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Last edited by: RangerGress: Jan 5, 18 19:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisT wrote:

No way. I totally support Dave's effort and he's practically a saint for not lashing out at those that harass him. He's doing something interesting. It's an experiment worth doing. The amount of shit he's taking reflects poorly on the shitters.

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Re: Time for a comportment check [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
ChrisT wrote:

No way. I totally support Dave's effort and he's practically a saint for not lashing out at those that harass him. He's doing something interesting. It's an experiment worth doing. The amount of shit he's taking reflects poorly on the shitters.

I’m not going to get into a debate on the good and bad over in that thread. And I am not going to criticize Dave here either.

But I will compliment you on seeing the good in people where many others do not. BTW I wish we would have gotten together for that beer in Omaha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisT wrote:
I’m not going to get into a debate on the good and bad over in that thread. And I am not going to criticize Dave here either.

But I will compliment you on seeing the good in people where many others do not. BTW I wish we would have gotten together for that beer in Omaha.
Oh that's a painful memory. Dang how I got my ass kicked. I was all thinking I was going to open a can of whoopass and I just got crushed. It was quite humbling to find out that my hubris was all a matter of being in a small pond.

I ended up linking up with a bunch of folks, in Omaha, from the Pathetic Triathletes fb page. That was really fun. They were all hilarious, especially the women.

I was kinda bummed that I didn't link up with any ST's. Maybe I could have met Duffy and Windy before they were banned for all eternity. Kay could have come so she could be outraged every time I tried a chick joke.

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Re: Time for a comportment check [orchidrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orchidrun wrote:
I am also not one to post often, but I read many of the threads daily. I see it as a source of entertainment, education, and an overall challenge to my opinions and prejudices based on my past experiences (walk in another man's shoes). I vote for keeping it as is. And for the record.....I am female and was not in the least offended by the thread in question - I don't identify with it, but can still appreciate the humor of the stereotype. Stereotypes have a basis of truth in them. If you want to change the stereotype, change the truth.

Uhm, like, sorry that this is OT, but like, uhm, are you single? If so, are you located in the contiguous 48 United States?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Time for a comportment check [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
For the record, I think everyone here is cool. Smartest collection of people I've ever met. It's what drew me back after a long hiatus. We may not agree with each other, but who wants that out of life? Also, I'm a big 1A guy and I personally don't believe in ANY limits on such speech, and I do mean "ANY." I simply do not care if you're offended by a joke and I don't care if the joke is unacceptable in polite society. It's your right to utter it, not my right to decide whether you should say it or not.

That said, this is Laird Dan's land and it's his right to lay the burdens of obedience upon the serfs who till it thusly. Should we find ourselves unable to bear those burdens it's incumbent upon us to find more welcoming climes, not his to make his own climes so.

This, Happy 2018!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
to be clear "katy" did not contact me. she didn't complain to me. nobody in that particular thread complained to me. i get complaints frequently, and i don't feel like getting complaints, agreeing with the complaints, but doing nothing about it. so, a few notes...

i don't expect you all to have to block someone's posts in order to not need to read abusive comments.

let's not conflate passionate or discordant views with abusive language. there are folks here who i agree with almost never, but who are nevertheless civil.

and, no, i don't think you should feel that you need to refrain from voicing an opinion current cultural zeitgeist. if you think that the metoo movement is mostly a crock, i'm not going to take any umbrage with that view expressed here. i might not agree with it, but this forum isn't a place just for those who agree with me. but, if you're going to use the metoo movement as a proxy or platform by which you hurl abuse at folks - and if it wasn't that topic it would just be another - then no, i'm not going to want to host that speech.

basically, there are folks here who think i "need the clicks". no, i don't. i don't need the clicks; i don't need the traffic. but i'm happy to host this community. i think after 20 years of seeing how it might best work, i pretty much have a handle on what abusive speech looks like. i've seen - as you have - the havoc wreaked first on reddit and then on facebook and twitter, as one person after another shuts off their social media channels because of the damage done.

what this forum has that facebook doesn't really have is me, to pick up the trash and sweep the floor around here. so that's what i'm going to do. the difference between facebook and me is that i'm not going to knuckle in order to keep my page views up. i'm also not going to knuckle to the PC forces who'll remove speech that isn't in line with this year's thought wave.

there are a few people who were here yesterday that aren't here today. i hope this helps the general tenor of the place. we'll see.

I haven't posted here since Dec 16'. I still read this forum frequently but I decided that there were too many juveniles. They like to quickly turn most topics into insults, their sex lives, them, denial that they said anything because they only implied it, etc. Just too much chaff so I quit participating in the discussions.

That is not to say that there are not posters who have thoughts and perspectives that are worth listening to. Slowguy. Big Kahuna. JSA. I like to read their views and try to ignore the juveniles. I found 'not posting' as the easiest way to ignore them.

So I think your recent actions are good. Back to reading, not posting.
Last edited by: Harbinger: Jan 6, 18 7:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
ChrisT wrote:
Slowman wrote:

dave and i chat.

Glad to hear that. And for all of our sake and sanity I can only hope that you told him to just put the 160’s on and be done with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Time for a comportment check [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:

I haven't posted here since Dec 16'. I still read this forum frequently but I decided that there were too many juveniles. They like to quickly turn most topics into insults, their sex lives, them, denial that they said anything because they only implied it, etc. Just too much chaff so I quit participating in the discussions.

That is not to say that there are not posters who have thoughts and perspectives that are worth listening to. Slowguy. Big Kahuna. JSA. I like to read their views and try to ignore the juveniles. I found 'not posting' as the easiest way to ignore them.

Oh shut up, you big baby. ;-)

Funny though, you value BK's contributions. I'm rather indifferent, but he spent a LOT of time being a grade A shit disturber here and drove many other's away from this forum. What you may value, others can't stand. Goes the other way around, too.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Time for a comportment check [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

Oh shut up, you big baby. ;-)

Funny though, you value BK's contributions. I'm rather indifferent, but he spent a LOT of time being a grade A shit disturber here and drove many other's away from this forum. What you may value, others can't stand. Goes the other way around, too.

Fair enough, sir. I must own it.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Time for a comportment check [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
orchidrun wrote:
I am also not one to post often, but I read many of the threads daily. I see it as a source of entertainment, education, and an overall challenge to my opinions and prejudices based on my past experiences (walk in another man's shoes). I vote for keeping it as is. And for the record.....I am female and was not in the least offended by the thread in question - I don't identify with it, but can still appreciate the humor of the stereotype. Stereotypes have a basis of truth in them. If you want to change the stereotype, change the truth.

Uhm, like, sorry that this is OT, but like, uhm, are you single? If so, are you located in the contiguous 48 United States?

I am sooooo flattered.....thank you for making my day!
Quote Reply

Prev Next