Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HED wheels - transport consideration
Quote | Reply
Guys fairing of Hed wheels are pretty thin - what are consideration for transport. I am using scicon soft bag and worried HED might not be best combo
Quote Reply
Re: HED wheels - transport consideration [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my opinion you would be pretty unlucky as your axle sticks out more and any load is still going to press on the rim unless your unlucky and something points directly on the fairing. I have travelled a bit with them and never had any issues. Baggage handlers are the worst so it is a bit of a lottery and it is just a fairing so even if it is slightly damaged your wheel should still be usable. I sometimes put a thin piece of compressed foam on the outside of my wheels to hopefully shield any blow that may do that kind of damage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
R2 wrote:
Guys fairing of Hed wheels are pretty thin - what are consideration for transport. I am using scicon soft bag and worried HED might not be best combo

I am not sure any rim is really safe for travel but at least with the HED if the fairing gets dinged up it is something that isn't structural. I know a couple of pros that have had multiple Enve wheels that had holes punched in them, multiple times during transport. Would love to see the baggage handlers, but regardless I wouldn't classify them as being super careful packers based on direct observation. And yes they were the Scicon soft bag as well.

Personally I use a hard shell and have less worry. I am also a careful packer but nonetheless have never had an issue with Thule Roundtrip Case. The idea of the Scicon is great until it isn't.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: HED wheels - transport consideration [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the problem of P5six, it's r big pita to i ty it into hardcase
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
R2 wrote:
That's the problem of P5six, it's r big pita to i ty it into hardcase

I haven't wrenched on the P5six and no doubt hyrdo's present an additional issue. Most of these super bikes are a little to a lot harder to break down than a standard road bike, but that is the cost you pay for a bit of protection.The inside joke is everyone loves a soft shell until the first time their bike is damaged in transit - then it is hard shell after that.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: HED wheels - transport consideration [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you don't have to travel to damage a HED fairing, you just have to not be paying attention as you leave out the front door for a ride on a windy day..........love my HEDs, even the one with the electrical tape over the door hole. :)
Quote Reply