Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Scicon Aerocomfort 2.0 Tri Bike Bag
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if this Tri bike bag will carry a road bike safely? I don't want to have to buy 2 bike bags-one for a road bike and one for a tri bike. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Scicon Aerocomfort 2.0 Tri Bike Bag [shelleyp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you plan to transport it....car....airline....FedX? Have you used the bag for your tri bike previously? I bought this bag for my P5....only used for one trip and it was damaged on both legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This bag tends to have a bad reputation for damage to Tri bikes. IMHO there are better choices.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the market for a bag and looking at this one too, and also want to have one bag that I can use for either my road or TT bike. Guy at my bike shop (which sells them and other brands) says that TT bag would work for road bike.. would just have that extra space that wouldn't be used but that it wouldn't compromise the sturdiness of the packing. I haven't seen it in real life to test though (out of stock of the 2.0 and 3.0 at the moment).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the road bag and have traveled with my road bike and tri bike. With the tri bike in the road bag I had to tilt the extensions down to make it fit, but it worked fine.

Using the tri bag a road bike should fit just fine, it will just have an empty space where the extensions would go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If anyone is within an hour or so of Philadelphia, I have a like new once used 2.0 Tri model bag will sell reasonable. Didn't work for my P5 (pm me).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the road bag and have travelled with it trouble free with both road and TT bikes (tilt bars) trouble free now since 2014.
Quote Reply
Re: Scicon Aerocomfort 2.0 Tri Bike Bag [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really? I ordered one over xmas for my p5 and I am hoping, no offense, that you are the exception...I thought the reviews were in general pretty good no?
Quote Reply
Re: Scicon Aerocomfort 2.0 Tri Bike Bag [yrebetta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yrebetta wrote:
Really? I ordered one over xmas for my p5 and I am hoping, no offense, that you are the exception...I thought the reviews were in general pretty good no?
Unfortunately, I'm not the exception, if you really research the bag. But it's the only option out there to not have to take apart the front end and I thought I'd give it a try. On the first leg, one of my shifters got broken off.....was lucky to find a shop that had one to fix....day before race. On leg back home, the bike was hit so hard with something that it dented one of my carbon wheels and knocked the headset out of align. I thought I overpacked it with bubble wrap but didn't help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done 25-30 flights (long haul to places like Australia, and Europe on multiple occasions) and have never had my bike damaged in an AeroComfort bag. It is not perfect, but does provide great protection and only the most negligent airline should possibly cause damage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Tri Bag and like it a lot. I know that the Timex team uses it as well. Mine has been used probably two dozen times domestically and a pro friend of mine has used it half a dozen times internationally without a single incident other than the darn wheels on the bag getting broken. YMMV
Last edited by: Greatzaa: Jan 4, 18 18:47
Quote Reply
Re: Scicon Aerocomfort 2.0 Tri Bike Bag [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sigh. Yet another pre-race stressor.

I think I will get some more hard density foam and bubbles etc and keep my fingers crossed every time-geez, what a pita. Does everyone rec getting the RD and drivechain cover thing? I only bought the bag and nothing else...I figure the bag, whatever it comes with, and more foam etc. Dare I say the rest is up to fate since the other widgets just seemed like their way to get even more money.

Thanks also CPT and Great for sharing. I hope my experiences are incident free. But I was so worried about the frame I hadn't really worrired about my race wheels. This is a viscious cycle! Maybe home grown races are the only solution...boooooring!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Felt IA and the first Gen TT bag and over 8 trips or so its been good for protecting the bike. Worst thing to happen to the bike has been bent shifter, but then I just twist it back into place.

The bag's wheels are real POS. I purchased the replacement wheels and have swapped them out. Someone else on here mentioned replacement wheels at Home Depot and O have used those too.

I also have Albo Pads and I wrap the entire bike in them...highly recommend them for any bike bag travel.

Dan's Premier Tactical bike box also allows you to keep the basebar on, and if I had space for a hard shell I would have gotten one, but got a good deal on a SciCon 3.0 TT bag, though it came beat to hell from StarBike. Avoid if possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Albo pads for extra protection on the frame. I have scicons brake lever and gear protector as well. It might not be necessary, but it does keep my drivetrain and chain from getting oil/grease on other items I may have in the bag, and keeps my chain from rattling around.

I have used the bag 1 trip to Europe and 3-4 around the US and have had no issues with bike damage. The stock wheels on the case are pretty crappy. I had 1 break on me my last trip. I bought better wheels at the hardware store.
Quote Reply
Re: Scicon Aerocomfort 2.0 Tri Bike Bag [j.shanney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where does one get these these albo pads...google had an article from 2012 but that was about it. They look like exactly what I need...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yrebetta wrote:
Where does one get these these albo pads...google had an article from 2012 but that was about it. They look like exactly what I need...

It looks like they might be out of business. I bought mine 3 years ago and assumed you could still get them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wheels on the bag broke....not bike wheels. I pad everything and have never had a single issue. Really love it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha replied on a FB post to a guy having a whinge about his bike being destroyed by an airline with a Scicon bag yesterday and posted this pic of pro Luke Bell's handlebar snapped a week ago as you can see a Scicon bag that I have seen so many pictures like this over the years. There's one of his derailleur broken travelling to IM Busselton too... You think if a baggage handler drops your bag or your bag is compressed your handlebars are going to cop all the force. Easiest bag to put your bike in but most likely to get damaged.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdFBfcAFzI1/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcOPvd9Fmna/
Quote Reply
Re: Scicon Aerocomfort 2.0 Tri Bike Bag [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Must be a reason so many pros use this bag. They wouldn't use it if they thought it was unsafe. Sometimes %$*& happens
Quote Reply
Re: Scicon Aerocomfort 2.0 Tri Bike Bag [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they use them because they are so easy to use. Most pros I know aren't that technical when it comes to the bike and they travel a lot so they use the easy bag. All I know is in all my years of travel I tuck everything away and have only ever had one bike damaged many years ago in a cheap shitty bag and I have seen so many handlebars broken in the Scicon. The Insta pick demonstrates exactly what happens and it isn't easy to snap a base bar like that.

Edit... But road bike handlebars break a lot easier that I have seen damaged over the years.
Last edited by: Shambolic: Jan 4, 18 22:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've also done multiple trips across the globe with this bag and have never had an issue. I do use about 3 pool noodles and place them all over my frame, forks for extra protection.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had very bad experience with this bag.
I traveled from FL to Germany to race IM Frankfurt 2017.
I have a Scott Plasma 5 and the sides of the handlebar stay very tight in this bag.
For sure the Airline dropped the bag/bike and cracked the handlebar.
Of course, I didn't see the crack before the race...........and during the race, my handlebar broke and I stayed without gears (di2) since mile 14. Had to ride +100 miles with 1 gear.

I'm sure that Airline dropped, because because the iron frame that hold the bike inside the bag, was twisted.

Quote Reply