Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me with my rescue dogs
Quote | Reply
Some background: I'm a dog person, son of a veterinarian, avid duck hunter/dog trainer. I really only hunt for my dogs who I have trained myself for 20 years to do amazing things -- multiple marks, long blind retrieves by whistle and hand signals, their obedience is impeccable and automatic. And they (I have only one right now, an 11 yo nearing retirement) are great house dogs as well, earning free rein of the house even while we aren't home, always with the family, love to ride around in the cab of my truck, etc. My labs have been some of the things I've been most proud of and received the most joy from in my entire life.

A little over a year ago my wife and daughter rescued 2 puppies off the side of the road. They were starving and running in traffic, barely weaned. No one claimed them and we decided to keep them, bringing the tally to 3 dogs, 2 cats, and a horse. They are some kind of hound dog/grey hound cross and look like 45 pound whippets. They are quite social and love people and they are smart.

And they are absolutely driving me crazy. I feel no bond to them like I do with the lab(s) because we have no job we do together. And I can't keep them from digging out of my yard to save their lives. My solutions, that I'm putting into play right now, are an underground wire dog fence and finding a "job" the 3 of us can do together. They can't hunt/retrieve, obedience is boring after a while (although I haven't done a great job with that on them -- they can sit/lay down and heal and stay for a short time but that's it and it's not reliable right now) so I'm thinking FRISBEE. Also considering OBSTACLE but I think I can do more with Frisbee and it's more portable. How's that sound?

I need a pep talk and some suggestions because we have taken on a responsibility to these dogs by keeping them and right now I feel like I'm failing them -- in the kennel so they're not a problem isn't a life to me. Wife and kiddo love them and I lost it last night after having to go find them in the neighborhood a-fucking-gain and yelled at the wife that she wasn't doing enough with them and that went over about as well as it sounds like it did (and I virtually never lose my temper with her because she's wonderful to me and doesn't deserve that, that's how frustrated I am with this). Bottom line, it's on me to make this work. The rest of the family loves all of our dogs but the I'm the dog trainer and the things that make/made the labs such good pets was the work I do/did with them to make them good retrievers.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with my rescue dogs [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have any helpful ideas, but I salute you in this effort.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pictures of them?

If you think they are hounds and some kind of Whippet mix, then they could potentially have some kind of sight hound in them. Are they fast runners? My thought is that you may be able to lure course them. That's portable. You just need the space. Then run the hell out of them - within reason of course.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good thoughts on frisbee and obstacle courses. IME with sighthounds they love to be close to their people and have bursts of activity. Think 5-10 minute wind sprints around the yard a couple times per day. Many prefer this over longer walks but see what works best.

Have you considered lure coursing? Given your background in dog training this might be right up your alley.

Perhaps also these dogs could be taught to hunt too. Hounds are hunting dogs, just a different type than labs.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: Help me with my rescue dogs [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
lawswimmer wrote:
Good thoughts on frisbee and obstacle courses. IME with sighthounds they love to be close to their people and have bursts of activity. Think 5-10 minute wind sprints around the yard a couple times per day. Many prefer this over longer walks but see what works best.

Have you considered lure coursing? Given your background in dog training this might be right up your alley.

Perhaps also these dogs could be taught to hunt too. Hounds are hunting dogs, just a different type than labs.

Good luck!

+1 on lure coursing or agility. Those kind of dogs need to run and exercise their chase instinct. They'll calm down a lot more when they're worked. Their young age is probably a factor too, but I see the digging as a possible sign of boredom.

If they are fast and like to chase - what about flyball?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, you need to accept the fact that some dogs are family pets and not working dogs. Second, I’m sure you realize these pups are young and will mellow out on some annoying behaviors with gentle training.

You sound like an excellent working dog trainer and are disenchanted these two don’t fit your idea of a dog. They won’t ever be like your other dogs.

We have two rescue dogs, they’re totally different from each other and very unique. Neither would appeal to you but they’re awesome in their own right.

Kudos for rescuing them, now just find their strengths and work with those and let go your preconceived notions of what a dog should be like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To prevent escape, have you considered leads? Use a heavy duty stake like this: https://www.amazon.com/...gid=pla-304560217106

Then use 30 foot cables for the two dogs like this: https://www.amazon.com/...heavy+duty+dog+cable

That will keep them from being able to dig under the fence and get out. We have 3 dogs and use 2 cables. Yes, they eventually get tangled, so we untangle them about once per week.

Giving the dogs a job will help. Consider teaching them to fetch. We use this with our weim and used it when we fostered wems: https://www.amazon.com/...mp;keywords=chuck+it

I like the rubber balls better: https://www.amazon.com/...D5D6QDNKXERM328E731R

When we were fostering, we got a lot of the problem weims. I found daily running took the edge off all of them. In lieu of running, I would do 20-30 minutes of fetch with the Chuck It.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with my rescue dogs [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our small labish puppy is now 80 pounds and appears to be a greyhound mix.

She is STUBBORN! She is an escape artist.

My daughter and I started doing agility classes with her and our lab and they both love it.

It has really helped a lot. She is still stubborn in a way the lab just isn’t - but having a job does seem to help with bonding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do the radio collar. I have two big dogs. I use one collar , switch dogs from week to week...they respect the boundary almost over night. No fricken wires(pain in the ass). You’ll be free.

No more rotting deer heads in my yard!

sometimes
Last edited by: mustangchef: Jan 4, 18 11:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This will sound random, but it's worth asking here because it's a tri forum. Do you have any athlete/runner friends who don't have a dog but wish they had a dog that they could take our running? I'd think that running with 2 dogs simultaneously would be a challenge, particularly ones that are still not fully trained. I don't have a dog, want a dog, it's not going to happen anytime soon, so I wish I had a local friend who had a dog I could take running a couple times a week. Hell, if I saw something like that on Craigslist I'd jump at the opportunity; I might even throw an ad up on CL now that I've thought about it and offer to run someone's dog. Maybe that's an option to burn off some of their energy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finding these lost souls on the side of the road and at such a young age makes me wonder if they are under educated re mom not teaching them manners. God only know how much impact the lack of siblings, mom and human interaction has impacted them.
We tried a lure type "thing" on the end of a huge fishing pole(I forgot the name but I got it on amazon, of course) so that goes along with what others have said. Oh I remember now...flirt pole!!!
What about basic agility classes?
Bless you for helping these babies. They will get better!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't offer much advice but I have two rescue dogs, one of which is a Whippet mix. We don't know what she's mixed with but she's small (only 22 lbs). We picked her from a shelter seven years ago. She was four years old and already socialized at the time. Even when she was young, she wasn't big into playing fetch. She does like long walks, though, but isn't a running partner.

As another poster said, your's is still young. Give it time to grow up.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with my rescue dogs [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our first rescue was a pure bred Newfoundland, wow was he a giant wild child but turned into the most amazing family member you can imagine, but it was a lot of work. We are now a few months into our second rescue. He is a wonderful dog, friendly, social and smart as can be but he has puppy brain. Totally different than our newf. He is a mixed breed pit, cocker, retriever, mutt. We are slowly getting him to run with us, slowly building his strength and stamina. My last run with him was about an hour and I swear he had a smile on his face the entire run. When we got home he wanted more. If we don’t work him, he is a holy terror, getting into everything but if we work him he is calm all day. Clearly our mutt enjoys running.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with my rescue dogs [cayenne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cayenne wrote:
Finding these lost souls on the side of the road and at such a young age makes me wonder if they are under educated re mom not teaching them manners. God only know how much impact the lack of siblings, mom and human interaction has impacted them.

Some good points. We specifically deal with Chesapeakes (my wifes family is awesome with dogs) but training and finding something to do together will help. Hike,run, whatever. But try splitting them up and work with one at a time( maybe you have). They will come around.
Quote Reply