Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pay-to-Play Articles on Slowtwitch?
Quote | Reply
I was just browsing the homepage and noticed something of a common theme in the Indoor Training section:

I appreciate that Zwift is the most popular indoor training platform and that there's a certain user-interest there, but this seems to be a somewhat one-sided view of the range of indoor training platforms available. I'm well aware of Jordan's relationship with Zwift and this made me wonder whether there's more at play here. The pay-to-play phenomenon in online media seems to be more and more pervasive these days and perhaps this has made me more suspicious than is justified, but this isn't the first time that I've noticed this kind of thing on Slowtwitch - this article on a Lanzarote hotel from back in the summer reeked of a covert advertorial.

I know that Dan is usually very upfront about the advertising relationships between Slowtwitch and third-party companies, so I was wondering if you could comment here? Apologies if this is misplaced, but I just find it annoying when you're expecting independent content and end-up feeling like you're being sold-to.
Quote Reply
Re: Pay-to-Play Articles on Slowtwitch? [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I have no idea if there is any substance to your query, it's not like there's simply a bunch of miscellaneous Zwift articles cropping up suspiciously regularly. Those Zwift articles in your screenshot are all sections of the one presentation about Zwift. Is that not so?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
I was just browsing the homepage and noticed something of a common theme in the Indoor Training section:

I appreciate that Zwift is the most popular indoor training platform and that there's a certain user-interest there, but this seems to be a somewhat one-sided view of the range of indoor training platforms available. I'm well aware of Jordan's relationship with Zwift and this made me wonder whether there's more at play here. The pay-to-play phenomenon in online media seems to be more and more pervasive these days and perhaps this has made me more suspicious than is justified, but this isn't the first time that I've noticed this kind of thing on Slowtwitch - this article on a Lanzarote hotel from back in the summer reeked of a covert advertorial.

I know that Dan is usually very upfront about the advertising relationships between Slowtwitch and third-party companies, so I was wondering if you could comment here? Apologies if this is misplaced, but I just find it annoying when you're expecting independent content and end-up feeling like you're being sold-to.

Rapp works for Zwift now. This is really not surprising even if he didn't write these.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We can we find old polls? The last poll showed that something like 35% of us know all we want about the different platforms, another 30 don't care, and then something like 85% of the remaining responses wanted to know more about Zwift. I also think they have, or we on the forums have hit up quite a bit.

Want in depth trainer stuff go over to DC Rainmaker and get all the info you need to have trainer throwing contest over here.
Quote Reply
Re: Pay-to-Play Articles on Slowtwitch? [adambeston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zwift and Strava have overwhelming leads in their respective areas- its like complaining about drive-train articles focus too much on Shimano.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I give the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes Slowman gets super excited about things. Like the freaking Hokas. And that enthusiasm can show up in content for months with somewhat hyperbolic language. But I think it's genuine - not paid - enthusiasm.

The hotel thing is weird, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Pay-to-Play Articles on Slowtwitch? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never saw the hotel one originally, but reading it, it seems like its worth writing about as an editorial (not just an advertorial) since it seems to be fairly unique. Not a lot of hotels that I've seen have pools suitable for training.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply