Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

WWLRD - What Would Lavender Room Do? - AirBNB question
Quote | Reply
I took my family on a post-Christmas trip and stayed 3 nights at a home through AirBNB. The room where my 22 year old daughter stayed had mardi gras masks fastened to the 4-poster bed frame as decorations. On the morning that we were leaving, she was getting her pillow off the bed and brushed one of the masks. It fell maybe a foot onto the bed. The mask itself was not broken, but the straps that were attached to it which were also used to secure it to the bed frame detached. She looked at it and noticed that it appears the glue came loose. She set it on the night table and continued packing. She didn't tell me at the time because I was outside packing the car. As we were hurrying to get out so we could go to a hot breakfast spot - she forgot to tell me. That was on Friday.

Yesterday I noticed a couple of Airbnb messages, with one dated to Friday asking if I knew what happened to the mask. She included a photo of the "broken" mask. I asked my daughter and she told me what happened. I can usually tell when she is lying, and I don't think she was. I wrote back to the person and told her what happened and ask if it was broken. She said that it was, and that she had already replaced it. I asked how much the replacement mask was and she told me $25.00

I don't mind paying a fair price for something that was not broken before we got there, so I asked her for a copy of the receipt and told her I would pay her through Airbnb. She sent me the "receipt" from Amazon, which has some questionable things on it, including the pricing and the date (Tuesday, December 29, 2017). I logged into Amazon and found the exact same mask - it was $8.90 not 25.00 exactly. I went ahead and paid the $25.00, even though I firmly believe the lady was not telling the truth. I think that she made up a number for a replacement, and then manufactured a receipt when I asked for one.

She also sent a message that kind of struck me wrong "Also, the trash was not taken out as required for checkin instructions. Was there a reason that was not done?"

Note that she referred to the "checkin" instructions which were sent on the day that we arrived - not something in the listing which would have been seen before I requested the stay. I paid a $130 cleaning fee for 3 nights stay, I have a problem with being required after-the-fact to take out the garbage. That being said, I probably would have if I had noticed it in the check-in email. The only thing in the garbage was water bottles and drink cans as we ate out two of the three nights. The last night we had seafood (crawfish and crab legs) - which I did bag up separately and took out the same night so the house didn't smell like seafood.

When we left, the house was clean and tidy. That's the way my wife and I are.

Overall the house was nice, and she did communicate well and was helpful when we couldn't log in to the wireless. But I have a serious problem with her exaggerating the price of the mask (2.5 times actual cost), possibly even faking a receipt. I also have a problem with the tone of the message about the garbage.

My question is how to handle this. Do I mention it in the review - stating the good and the bad? The $25 is no big deal, but I have a problem with the principle of the thing.
Quote Reply
Re: WWLRD - What Would Lavender Room Do? - AirBNB question [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
25 bucks is likely including cost of delivery and some money for the aggravation. I would just move on. First world problem.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: WWLRD - What Would Lavender Room Do? - AirBNB question [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go back and stay in the same house again. Buy crawfish and crab legs. Hide them in closets, couches, cupboards, ... Make sure to drag your dick across every surface in the house you can think of. But make sure to take out the trash.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: WWLRD - What Would Lavender Room Do? - AirBNB question [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
25 bucks is likely including cost of delivery and some money for the aggravation. I would just move on. First world problem.

I thought about that, and wouldn't have a problem had she been up front about it instead of making a receipt with a sale price of exactly $25.00 dated for Tuesday December 29, 2017. So you don't have to look... December 29 was on a Friday in 2017.

Again, it is the principle of the thing.
Quote Reply
Re: WWLRD - What Would Lavender Room Do? - AirBNB question [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Go back and stay in the same house again. Buy crawfish and crab legs. Hide them in closets, couches, cupboards, ... Make sure to drag your dick across every surface in the house you can think of. But make sure to take out the trash.

Ha, I like that. Maybe put some in the toilet tank instead of doing an upper decker.

I did drag my dick across the floor, but that is normal when I get out of the shower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. Be honest and just tell of your good and bad experiences there.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You paid a $130 cleaning fee and still had to take the trash out ?

Is that normal for an airBNB ?

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Better be good in your review. I suspect the home owner is a Haitian voodoo princess.
Quote Reply
Re: WWLRD - What Would Lavender Room Do? - AirBNB question [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:

Yes and no. It is one of the highest cleaning fees I've seen. I am guessing she used it to offset a lower listing price for people who look only at the per-night price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
Ha, I like that. Maybe put some in the toilet tank instead of doing an upper decker.
This. Revenge is a dish best served cold :-)
rick_pcfl wrote:
I did drag my dick across the floor, but that is normal when I get out of the shower.
Oh Im sorry to hear you have no legs.
Was it an accident or were you born that way?
Quote Reply
Re: WWLRD - What Would Lavender Room Do? - AirBNB question [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
Better be good in your review. I suspect the home owner is a Haitian voodoo princess.

It was in New Orleans, so you're probably right.
Quote Reply
Re: WWLRD - What Would Lavender Room Do? - AirBNB question [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:

Last time i stayed in an airbnb, they cleaned, made the beds, put fresh towels, did the dishes, and brought in fresh flowers. It was totally unexpected. It was in mexico. There was no cleaning fee but i tipped the teebage girl $150 for the week and she looked like shelost her mind.

Your lady sounds excessive. Id pay the $25 but the cleaning fee is bullshit. Next time take before and after photos, thats what i do just in case, for situations like yours.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone who was a host for short terms and still rents a furnished unit (one month minimum), and as a person who uses AirBnB when I travel.....

I would write a factual review and just say what happened. Be very careful about putting in any value judgements or making any assumptions.

Say something like “unbeknownst to me my daughter broke a masked, the host said it was $25 even. I found the same mask for $8.90...”

Really make an effort to write in your review only things that you know to be 100% true.

Also, in the future, carefully read all the check-in instructions and ask the host to clarify things if you have questions.

We put in our instructions to take out the trash, put the bedding in the washing machine, clean up, etc.

Some people do, some people don’t. We have never contacted a guest scolding them for not taking out the trash however. We even had one guest that stayed for 2 months and apparently never cleaned anything. The place was a mess. We refer to that guest as Ms. Piggy (she actually kind of looked like Ms. Piggy from the Muppets).

We did mention her lack of cleanliness in the review.

Judging this solely on what you wrote it sounds like this host is a bitch.

I hope this situation doesn’t sour you on using home sharing in the future.

And, again, if you leve a review just stick to the facts.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: WWLRD - What Would Lavender Room Do? - AirBNB question [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"There was no cleaning fee but i tipped the teebage girl $150 for the week and she looked like shelost her mind. "

I think the going rate for teabagging is more than $150, no?
Last edited by: eb: Jan 2, 18 17:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:

That seems pretty excessive for a cleaning fee, but I suppose it depends on the size of the place and where it is.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: WWLRD - What Would Lavender Room Do? - AirBNB question [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It definitely hasn't turned me off to Airbnb. I've probably spent 200 nights in Airbnb homes in the last 1 1/2 years. It has saved me a ton of money while allowing me to stay in quiet places that are 10 times better than hotel rooms.

Good advice on the factual review. I don't want to write anything that could open me up to a lawsuit or anything else.
Quote Reply
Re: WWLRD - What Would Lavender Room Do? - AirBNB question [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Leddy wrote:

That seems pretty excessive for a cleaning fee, but I suppose it depends on the size of the place and where it is.

It was a shotgun house with three bedrooms, small living room, bathroom and kitchen. It was well taken care of and nicely decorated.
Quote Reply
Re: WWLRD - What Would Lavender Room Do? - AirBNB question [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Leddy wrote:

Just a general piece of information... The way Airbnb works is that the cleaning fee is upfront and already agreed upon. I don't think rick_pcfl had to pay the $130 just because he didn't take the garbage out. He just had to read an eyebrow raising request for an explanation, but that's it.
Quote Reply
Re: WWLRD - What Would Lavender Room Do? - AirBNB question [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Leddy wrote:

Just a general piece of information... The way Airbnb works is that the cleaning fee is upfront and already agreed upon. I don't think rick_pcfl had to pay the $130 just because he didn't take the garbage out. He just had to read an eyebrow raising request for an explanation, but that's it.

This is correct. Thanks for explaining it.
Quote Reply
Re: WWLRD - What Would Lavender Room Do? - AirBNB question [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I know, I use Airbnb all the time and host two units on it occasionally.

I just meant for a cleaning fee of $130 you'd think the cleaners would also take out the one trash bag...

Usually if the place has a low cleaning fee you are expected to do some tidy up yourself. Maybe start a load of laundry, leave dishes/kitchen clean etc. In my experience at least.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: WWLRD - What Would Lavender Room Do? - AirBNB question [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
"There was no cleaning fee but i tipped the teebage girl $150 for the week and she looked like shelost her mind. "

I think the going rate for teabagging is more than $150, no?

Goddamn my typos turning me into an illegal sex tourist!!!

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don’t sweat the petty stuff and don’t pet the sweaty stuff.

I would just be glad the place was nice and the mask wasn’t a $500 piece of art and move on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Good advice on the factual review. I don't want to write anything that could open me up to a lawsuit or anything else.

It’s not the lawsuit you need to worry about.

If you write a review that sounds bitchy and emotional and contains extraneous information, like having to get to a breakfast hotspot :), you could be seen as a “problem guest” by other hosts.

Just keep it factual and unemotional.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply