Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Happy 2018 starting out the year with a scam
Quote | Reply
Went to renew my car registration online. Fill out some info including birth date which I admit I thought was strange. Enter my CC info and hit next. Get to download a road safety brochure. Find a help number so I google it and it's a scam.

The website I typed in is on my registration form from the state of PA. WTF

ETA - I must have typed something wrong in. I tried it 3 times and got the same bogus site. Now when I do it I'm getting the correct one I think. Beyond pissed off right now.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Last edited by: Leddy: Jan 2, 18 9:32
Quote Reply
Re: Happy 2018 starting out the year with a scam [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Happy 2018 starting out the year with a scam [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the phone but didn't the actual guy end up being in his 60s and in Missouri or some shit?
Quote Reply
Re: Happy 2018 starting out the year with a scam [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
On the phone but didn't the actual guy end up being in his 60s and in Missouri or some shit?
Louisiana. https://www.nbcnews.com/...a-police-say-n833801

Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
Skipjack wrote:

Thanks...somewhat surprising that he is only guilty of swindling "thousands of dollars" (I understand that number will grow)....my faith in humanity just went up a point or two..
Quote Reply
Re: Happy 2018 starting out the year with a scam [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
travelmama wrote:
Skipjack wrote:

Thanks...somewhat surprising that he is only guilty of swindling "thousands of dollars" (I understand that number will grow)....my faith in humanity just went up a point or two..
He is a rough looking 67 y.o. man.

Quote | Reply
Yep it was about that bad. I figured out what I did wrong. When I typed the dmv’s web address bing popped up the top results. I thought I was clicking on state website. Instead I got
Vehicle registration .com. Which is located out of India I believe. Page was designed close enough to the PA site and without looking I hit the register my car tab. Ended up buying myself
a road safety brochure.

Adding to the embarrassment I showed a coworker who immediately pointed out the state picture at the top of the page was West Virginia or something close.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Happy 2018 starting out the year with a scam [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
Skipjack wrote:
travelmama wrote:
Skipjack wrote:

He is a rough looking 67 y.o. man.

Very true..I'd like to know what his morning routine was :)

Speaking of which I need to add activities that increase my attention to detail..I just noticed that he was only one of the middlemen/women in this scam.

It will be interesting to see what the full roster looks like when complete. I'm guessing, based on just this one example, that these folks will have no problems rolling on their partners for better deals.
Last edited by: Skipjack: Jan 4, 18 11:11
Quote Reply