Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: January Swim Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM set today after a beast of a set at 5am Monday:

WU - 400, 300, 200, 100
MS - 4x(8x50 odds @:30, evens @:40, 400 pull every 4th 25 fast)
8x100 fins @1:05/1:15

5400 scy
Made all but the 3rd and 4th on the last set of 50s on :30. Probably best set I’ve done to date. Ouch!

https://twitter.com/mungub
Last edited by: mungub50: Jan 30, 18 7:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
You doing it from a push?

I MIGHT be able to sneak out to the pool tomorrow at lunch, we'll see.....

Jason, yes, I will do it pushing off the wall. Still unsure if diving is a good idea until all my orthopedic and nerve issues are sorted out....so doing what I can with what I have....the good news is that i have come a long way in the pool in 2 years. The bad news, is that I I still suck doing things on land although I am back to a bit of treadmill jogging even though walking still sucks, so its progress.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: January Swim Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pool was closed yesterday due to chlorine issues. I ran 8 mi, did some core work, and rode 12.4 miles.
Today I ran 7.7 miles w/ 2.1 @ 8:27 pace and 3.1 @ 8:20 pace, then I swam 925 yds

500 swim
50 kick
100 swim
50 kick
200 swim
25 kick

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: January Swim Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
pool was closed yesterday due to chlorine issues. I ran 8 mi, did some core work, and rode 12.4 miles.
Today I ran 7.7 miles w/ 2.1 @ 8:27 pace and 3.1 @ 8:20 pace, then I swam 925 yds

500 swim
50 kick
100 swim
50 kick
200 swim
25 kick

Went to the gym at lunch to get in a run on the tmill, but decided to hop on the bike instead. They have a couple of sufferfest videos (along with a whole bunch of spin class type videos and a few "scenery and music" vid) hooked up to the big screen. 45 minutes of hell, now my legs are in the hot tub to recover.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it will go like this.....47-60-55-45 if it all works out like i think it will. //

Well let us know how it goes, SCM right? And you back/brest looks like mine used to in the old days, just about even splits for me, so pretty shitty swimming that slow on back. I have gotten better relative to my peers though, paying attention to mistakes I made in my youth and doing some more off the wall underwater stuff.

I was out of the water for nearly 2 weeks after a really good start to the year, stupid cold and cough, but back in now. Did this yesterday;

5x100s@1;40 (1;25's) 5x100IM kick@2;10( 2;00 to 1;54) 6x150p@2;15(2;03 to 1;59) 2x50 breast@1;10(47/44) 100SD 2100SCY

In your honor perhaps I will do my broken 200 IM tomorrow, even though I'm not really ready for that...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slipped a 200scy IM TT into my workout today. Went 2:42. Didn't get exact splits, but know I was at ~:36 on the fly leg and felt like ~:36 on the free leg. I'm also a pretty crappy backstroker, and I really flubbed the 75y turn, so my best guess is that I even-split the back and breast legs at ~ :45 each.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: January Swim Thread [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice job with the 200IM. It has been killing me as it was not that long ago that I would just put a little pressure on a swim and do a high 2;30's, go hard and go low 2;30's for 200IM's. My brain has not wrapped itself around that those old times have passed and I now have to readjust my thinking.

Recently got back into thinking about this and did a 2;38 broken at the 50's. Went (38/41/45/34)2;38. I think that will be my eventual goal to break that time in a full out tt. I really dog the fly now or it is curtains on the middle two 50's...
Last edited by: monty: Jan 30, 18 16:08
Quote Reply
Re: January Swim Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Masters tonight should've been 3000m but cut the last set short with double thigh cramps and cramps in the right foot. Before that we did 5x(100 quick on 2:00, 50 ez on :60). I did the first 3 free, last 2 IM (1:15, 14, 13, 21, 24. Hurting on the last one, then a set of 10x25 breast on :40 FAST did my legs in. Last 4 were breaststroke pull, it was all I could do).

The intervals on the bike really killed my legs today.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Nice job with the 200IM. It has been killing me as it was not that long ago that I would just put a little pressure on a swim and do a high 2;30's, go hard and go low 2;30's for 200IM's. My brain has not wrapped itself around that those old times have passed and I now have to readjust my thinking.

Recently got back into thinking about this and did a 2;38 broken at the 50's. Went (38/41/45/34)2;38. I think that will be my eventual goal to break that time in a full out tt. I really dog the fly now or it is curtains on the middle two 50's...

Well that was a bit of a disaster today. My body was just off. I had nothing. I spent 1000m warmup up in all strokes did some kick work with fins and gave the 200IM a go. My fly was as planned and did not overcook but on the back leg I got a ton of water in my nose and fell way off pace. I was almost 70 seconds on the back leg and hit halfway at 1:55. Then the breast leg was crazy slow almost 70 seconds again and then closed with a 44 second free....ended up at 3:54.

Today I was swimming at the 50m LCM pool on the way to a customer meeting. I actually had not swam either 50m back or breast in more than a year continuous in LCM, so I probably need a ton more work there. In any case I was 14 seconds slower than I thought I could do. I may try tomorrow again in SCM to see if I am a bit faster. Would be nice to have a 3:4x time to start the year.

I need to build on this shitty 200IM time to do a 400m IM test before March 31. It is amazing how fast all of you swim. This is not like biking or running where you just do more and get faster. Very humbling!

Yes I suck at this but dammit I will suck less by Dec 31 st
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I may try tomorrow again in SCM to see if I am a bit faster. Would be nice to have a 3:4x time to start the year. //

A 400m IM will be a lot faster in a SCM pool, turns are very important as well as the extra breath every once in awhile. Go for it and know it will be a 3;4 something...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I may try tomorrow again in SCM to see if I am a bit faster. Would be nice to have a 3:4x time to start the year. //

A 400m IM will be a lot faster in a SCM pool, turns are very important as well as the extra breath every once in awhile. Go for it and know it will be a 3;4 something...

although my turns are bad, I THINK it is still going to be faster. For me just a break from both the breast and back stroke and having around 3 seconds of turning and kicking/gliding/pull out will break it up a bit. I will report back after today's attempt.

Good news is that I am heading to the hospital to get the cyst that they found in between my 3rd and 4th metatarsel shrunk down with a draining and a cortisone injection. It turns out that my nerve root is compressed at the spine and nerve ending in the foot, sending the entire leg into a tailspin at certain angles (especially on land...it is also problematic during free and backstroke, not in fly and breast where the legs work together). Let's see if this procedure helps my quality of life....I really hope after this I can walk normally again and maybe even start riding without leg spasms.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7.5 mi run 68:04
725 yd swim

300 swim + 50 kick + 350 swim + 25 kick

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

Well, I tried today and it was not to be in the SCM pool. Ended up at 3:52...probably 3:50 to 3:51 by the time I really hit the wall, but I only saw 3:52 on the clock I so I am going with that. That is my Jan 31 baseline. Yeah, I know it is pretty bad for someone who swims as much as I have been doing....no wonder triathletes, cut their losses in the pool and head out on the bike!!! Having said, that I am off to get my foot cyst treated and if this can reduce the nerve impingement down there and it reduces the subtle leg spasms on the free and back then I think that pause/stall on both strokes that happens until I can pull my leg back into the correct orientation goes away and I don't have this constant accelerate and decelerate in each stroke and I can carry my speed better between strokes and be smoother....so fingers crossed. Wish me good luck 3:45 better go down by end of Feb or you guys can try and banish me from this thread. Just faster turns with no leg spasms might take me down to 3:45, forget about the actual stroke! FYI, I did a hard 100 fly-free and that was 1:33. My 100 fly today was 1:34.

Like all things, you work with what you have a maximize what you can do with what is working, but a little hope goes a long way to keep you in the game to get things working properly again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
read your posts and decided since it was "stroke day" at masters Id throw my hat in the ring.
200IM (yards bc I live in boston)..
2:29
For the effort I thought I would be better. But no excuses. Will do again next month and I better be WAAY faster.

Pushed several 100s free (within a set) the other day around 56-57 so fitness and speed are there...

Set was: 5 x through
4 x 50 IMs (12.5 each stroke) on 50
3 x 75 as 25stoke 50 free IM order on 1:15
1 x 25 kick on :30
1 x 100 Free on 1:30
times on the 100s were 102,58,56,57,57
Quote Reply
Re: January Swim Thread [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daved wrote:
read your posts and decided since it was "stroke day" at masters Id throw my hat in the ring.
200IM (yards bc I live in boston)..
2:29
For the effort I thought I would be better. But no excuses. Will do again next month and I better be WAAY faster.

Pushed several 100s free (within a set) the other day around 56-57 so fitness and speed are there...

Set was: 5 x through
4 x 50 IMs (12.5 each stroke) on 50
3 x 75 as 25stoke 50 free IM order on 1:15
1 x 25 kick on :30
1 x 100 Free on 1:30
times on the 100s were 102,58,56,57,57

Hey Daved I never thought of doing 50's IM as 12.5m of each stroke....I think my first leg for fly would end up being 1 stroke cause I would just come out of the water at 10m and be done fly in 1 stroke.

Congrats on the 2:29...that is awesome man. If everyone posts a 200 IM time, we can reconvene for the virtual swim meet on Feb 27/28. I'll probably be last place all year in this, but I will try to be "most improved" athlete on the ST fish thread swim meet by end of year. So who else is in?....post your 200 IM time no matter how fast or how crappy (and all you fish guys, don't be sandbagging your time in Jan to kick ass later....I need to be able to win one category in this event by the end of the year, and NO I really did not sandbag for my 3:52, I went as hard as a could and that's all I could produce).

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Masters tonight should've been 3000m but cut the last set short with double thigh cramps and cramps in the right foot.

F'ing foot cramps have ruined more good swim workouts than I can count....and a handful of races, too. Worst race of my life was the USMS 2 Mile Cable Swim National Championship, where I got a foot cramp with more than a mile to go.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok made it up to the altitude pool with Dan today and was quite surprised, guess the smooth water is like a taper for me;

5x100s@1;40 (1;29 to 1;25)
5x100IM kick@2;05(1;53 to 1;49)
500p@7;30(6;26)
Broken 200IM @ 1;00(36/41/43/34)2;34+ 100IM kick(1;58)
6x150p@2;20(2;03 to 1;56) 100IM kick(1;56)
4x50@1;00 odds breast, even free(45/41/43/38)
3000SCY

So knocked about 4 seconds off my virtual 200IM broken, went about 85%, so happy about that. I may be able to do a non stop one sooner than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Ok made it up to the altitude pool with Dan today and was quite surprised, guess the smooth water is like a taper for me;

5x100s@1;40 (1;29 to 1;25)
5x100IM kick@2;05(1;53 to 1;49)
500p@7;30(6;26)
Broken 200IM @ 1;00(36/41/43/34)2;34+ 100IM kick(1;58)
6x150p@2;20(2;03 to 1;56) 100IM kick(1;56)
4x50@1;00 odds breast, even free(45/41/43/38)
3000SCY

So knocked about 4 seconds off my virtual 200IM broken, went about 85%, so happy about that. I may be able to do a non stop one sooner than I thought.

LOL, your broken up 4 min IM (albeit scy but still fast!!!) including your rest is the same time more or less that a logged with no rest!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couldn't get to the pool today, but are times still accepted if I do it tomorrow?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1400 warm up, mix of things like swim, kick, stroke,snorkel

Main Set:
5 x 200y @ 5:00, best average
2:07, :07, :07, :08, :08+/:09-
100 easy after each 200

200 C-D