Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Seven Summits Project: Complete! [ejd_mil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ejd_mil wrote:
Unbelievable would be an understatement! Congratulations to you and your son. And glad you all came back safe and sound.

Mountaineering, let alone high altitude mountaineering, is a very high risk sport.

To the other question regarding climbing in Bolivia - I went up the Pequeno Alpamayo - normal and direct route (i believe SW wall). 2 - 4 pitches of steep climbing. Unfortunately, no possibility for protection though... There is also Ilimani and the like (but havent been on it). In Ecuador, Cotopaxi is a classic. Also Iliniza Sur had a nice technical direct route. And there is Cayembe and Chimborazo (both i tried without summiting due to weather constraints). Plenty of beautiful mountains and beautiful routes to explore.

On a philosophical note - how many attributes of success do you think cross over between mountaineering and triathlon?
Hi thanks Cotopaxi is one i am considering. Oh and I think many attributes crossover as far as the discipline required, mental fortitude and plain grit. But for me the high, both literal and figurative, is much more for me these days in climbing. The thrill and beauty of the alpine environment makes my heart sing!
Quote Reply
Re: The Seven Summits Project: Complete! [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't mean too be defensive sounding. I did make a comment on the "debate" around this and how we view it--you can read about it earlier in the thread. I have no problem with someone having one view or the other. I do disagree with several of Yoda's comments but am not interested in debating it here.

I do find it a little tiring, this tearing down, conflict thing that seems to be in vogue these days...but that is off point relative to the original topic of this thread....

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: The Seven Summits Project: Complete! [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(regular ST forum reader, but finally created an account to jump in on this thread)

Congratulations on the seven summits! Successfully making it up and down this list of mountains is purely badass. Period.

I met you and Anders while climbing Aconcagua back in 2013. Not sure if you remember me (Levi), but congrats again to both of you. I was very happy to learn the news when I stumbled onto this thread. It's an amazing accomplishment and something to be extremely proud of. Even more impressive given how widely 'climbing the seven summits' is known, yet how few people have actually achieved it. I would agree with you that Kosciuszko is part of the seven given it was the original definition and is still widely popular. But that's just another opinion. I suspect this will get fully settled right after everyone here agrees on the ideal crank length.

To hopefully leave a more positive note on this thread... Aconcagua was my last major climb. I had plans for Denali shortly after, but with a new baby on the way (now babies) trekking off for weeks at a time wasn't in the cards. I'm sure it will be again one day. I did, however, need to find something closer to home that still provided an outlet for training, planning, hard work (suffering), and obsessing over every last detail of gear. Hearing about your experience with triathlon on the climb somehow stuck with me. I gave a local race a try and got hooked. I've been racing ever since. You didn't know it, but thank you for helping to point me in the direction of triathlon!
Quote Reply
Re: The Seven Summits Project: Complete! [mlbTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Levi, nice to hear from you! I remember the whole team and the experience vividly! It was really tough being the only one to not make it but it taught me a lot that was critical for my success the following year in some pretty brutal conditions....

I’m psyched you took up Tri! I remember talking to you about it on that expedition. Maybe you should come and join Anders and I at IMFL?

I hope you have a great season and let’s stay in touch!

rc

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply

Prev Next