Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me understand crank-based power requirements
Quote | Reply
I've convinced my wife that a powermeter is going to propel me to cycling mediocrity and may melt away my dad bod. The hard part is done...

After the go ahead, I've been looking into a few crank-based powermeters and have been a bit confused. I get the measurement tech (strain gauges, etc), but I'm a bit lost on the compatibility.

Stages/4iii come with a crank. Would I need to match the crank brand, or would this be purely aesthetic? For instance, I have the standard FSA Gossamers on my 2012 P2. If I buy a Ultegra Stages, would I then need to purchase a new Ultegra crankset/ BB conversion? Or would the existing FSA crank of the same length work?

Any help or direction is appreciated. Please educate me....

mark
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand crank-based power requirements [m.a.burghart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you set on crank based or a certain brand for any reason? Seems that the new generation pedals (Assioma, PowerTap, GarminV3) are the way to go these days.

As for Ultegra Stages Crank arm working with FSA drive side crank, I do not think that is compatible/possible, but I could be corrected.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand crank-based power requirements [m.a.burghart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Each crank manufacturer has its own proprietary way the crank arm connects to the spindle. So a crank arm from one manufacturer will almost never fit on another brand crank. You can often mix and match within the same manufacturer (e.g. a Shimano 105 on an Ultegra crank) but not always. Some crank manufacturers use more than one system across their lineup so you can not always use a lower end crank arm on a higher end crank from the same manufacturer.
Last edited by: STP: Jan 2, 18 8:22
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand crank-based power requirements [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
Are you set on crank based or a certain brand for any reason? Seems that the new generation pedals (Assioma, PowerTap, GarminV3) are the way to go these days.

If you want to use Look cleats (which I don't).
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand crank-based power requirements [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
@BW_Tri wrote:

If you want to use Look cleats (which I don't).
Yep, I'd love to use pedal based PM as it would allow me to switch between road bike and triathlon bike depending on which I'm focusing during a given period or for specific events. Unfortunately since I use Speedplay and don't want to change, I'm out of luck. I had hoped to use the Brim Brothers cleat based Speedplay product until that failed to materialise. So I shelved my plans to get a PM. I'm now considering it again as the prices have come down enough that I might consider something like a Powertap C1 or Power2max chainring/crank based powermeter that will be confined to one bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand crank-based power requirements [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm... so I'm stuck with likely purchasing a new crankset and (possibly) bottom bracket too. At this rate, I'll be looking into Power2Max a bit more.

I'd be interested in pedal-based power, as transferring between road and tri bike would be great, but cost and availability is a priority for me. And yes, not a LOOK fan...

mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you had a look at DCRainmaker's website for general information and reviews?
If not it's well worth a look.

That site is the best information and general advice on powermeters (among other things) in one place that I'm aware off. Ray updated his "Power Meter Buyer's Guide - 2017 Edition" in November so it's up to date. He lists all the available brands with a summary of his conclusions & pros/cons along with links to highly detailed reviews for a lot of them. His reviews are well worth reading for anything that makes your shortlist.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/11/power-meters-annual-buyers-guide-2017-edition.html
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand crank-based power requirements [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. I have and appreciate the technical details and suggestions Ray makes. Right now I'm at the step of finding what is compatible given my existing components (while keeping cost relatively low), and if not, what I need to upgrade.

mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't that year bike come with a 50/34 front end? If so I'm pretty sure Power Tap's C1 fits that crank and would be the best choice in my opinion.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand crank-based power requirements [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are correct and I still have the compact setup. I'll check into some P1s, they seem to have great reviews.

mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
m.a.burghart wrote:
You are correct and I still have the compact setup. I'll check into some C1s, they seem to have great reviews.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply