Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I can't believe this is happening....I have to get new shoes 1 week before a 1/2IM....Clifton 2 alternative
Quote | Reply
Long story, but I just now realized that my Clifton 2 shoes, that have only 250 miles on them, are causing foot & calf issues. The last 2 pair of Clifton 2 shoes I've had lasted me 400+ miles until I had foot/calf issues, so this is an unpleasant surprise. I don't think I can run in them on Saturday for the HITS 1/2IM.

Not sure I'm comfortable getting another Clifton model, and I'm not sure what else would be a good alternative. I have been using Clifton 2 for A LONG time. So, what would be a good alternative? If I purchase tomorrow, I can run 2-3x @ 2-3 miles each day to attempt to break them in.

EDIT: prefer a zero drop with a bit of cushion, similar to the feel of the Clifton.

Thanks for any help.
Last edited by: mjpwooo: Jan 1, 18 18:27
Quote Reply
Re: I can't believe this is happening....I have to get new shoes 1 week before a 1/2IM....Clifton 2 alternative [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone is different, but I thought the Clifton 2 was a huge disappointment after the original. The Clifton 3 was a big improvement but heavier than the original. Fit2Run stores are dumping the Clifton 3 now since the Clifton 4 is out. The latter is even heavier and I'm done with that series. Best of luck in your decision.
Quote Reply
Re: I can't believe this is happening....I have to get new shoes 1 week before a 1/2IM....Clifton 2 alternative [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Everyone is different, but I thought the Clifton 2 was a huge disappointment after the original. The Clifton 3 was a big improvement but heavier than the original. Fit2Run stores are dumping the Clifton 3 now since the Clifton 4 is out. The latter is even heavier and I'm done with that series. Best of luck in your decision.

I visited that site, and they don't have my size on the website. I may check them out tomorrow as the site may not reflect what's in the store. I think I'm also going to have to go to The Running Center in North Tampa, as I *think* I trust them more than Fit2Run.
Quote Reply
Re: I can't believe this is happening....I have to get new shoes 1 week before a 1/2IM....Clifton 2 alternative [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out the Altra Escalante or One V3’s. I loved my Clifton 1’s hated the 2’s. I moved on to Altras and haven’t looked back.

Escalante upper is a knit and very flexible, maybe even allows too much movement when cornering. The One V3’s have a more significant upper. They are both very light. Mine weigh out the same on a gram scale. If I had to pick one shoe it would be the One V3’s, but I enjoy running in both.
Quote Reply
Re: I can't believe this is happening....I have to get new shoes 1 week before a 1/2IM....Clifton 2 alternative [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new Altra Duo looks exactly like what you’re looking for. Not out for a bit though. I think mid-Jan in specific stores. It’s like a zero drop Clifton 1 with a wide toe box. Can’t wait to try a pair myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don’t need to flip out about a new pair of shoes for 13 miles. Buy something and run twice in them and you’re fine. It’s 13 miles.

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply
Re: I can't believe this is happening....I have to get new shoes 1 week before a 1/2IM....Clifton 2 alternative [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
You don’t need to flip out about a new pair of shoes for 13 miles. Buy something and run twice in them and you’re fine. It’s 13 miles.

You are correct. It's an A Race, and I have been pretty healthy recently; just don't want to reverse that trend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll be fine! Amazon seems to have them, you'll have them in 2 days or less. Just use the insoles from your old shoes and really no need to 'break them in' after that.
Quote Reply
Re: I can't believe this is happening....I have to get new shoes 1 week before a 1/2IM....Clifton 2 alternative [Zissou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Loved my Clifton 1s, and often go back to an old pair even though I now have Clifton 2s in the front of the rotation. However, for my forthcoming marathon, I decided to stick with my 2s but now developed sharp pain in my upper tibia. Might go back to the 1s or move on to something else.

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also had the same calf problems. I went with the Stinson lite and loved them, Hoka went to a different look and went with the Clifton 3, they hurt my legs until brokeen in about 3 wks. I looked at the reviews on the new Clayton 2 and ordered them, love them from the first run. This is my shoe, I will be getting another pair for rotation. Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Re: I can't believe this is happening....I have to get new shoes 1 week before a 1/2IM....Clifton 2 alternative [Jesusbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got Ghost 10s......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the same thing before a 1/2 IM because of achilles issues that I think were caused by the Cliftons, and went with Ghosts. It worked fine and I've been good ever since.
Quote Reply
Re: I can't believe this is happening....I have to get new shoes 1 week before a 1/2IM....Clifton 2 alternative [Jesusbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jesusbike wrote:
I also had the same calf problems. I went with the Stinson lite and loved them, Hoka went to a different look and went with the Clifton 3, they hurt my legs until brokeen in about 3 wks. I looked at the reviews on the new Clayton 2 and ordered them, love them from the first run. This is my shoe, I will be getting another pair for rotation. Hope this helps.

Did you use the same shoe size for both the Clifton 3 and the Clayton 2?
Quote Reply
Re: I can't believe this is happening....I have to get new shoes 1 week before a 1/2IM....Clifton 2 alternative [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes the same size. I wore the clifton 3 around the house for 2/3 wks and then I could run in it but the Clayton 2 was good to go out of the box. I ran this a m and no problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I want to try them, but a little leary since I blistered in the Clayton 1s. I wear a 10.5 Clifton 3 and the store only had Clayton 2s in 10. They fit fine length wise but seemed a tad narrow so I thought I would hold out for size 10.5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is what I had read about the Clayton 1, I have had no issues with the 2 so far. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hoka sucks period. Every shoe that I’ve tried ends up blistering me after 80-100 miles.

But to your problem specifically, take a deep breath. Get a shoe you like, put it on, and go race. Modern shoes don’t need to be broken into.

My personal favorite, if you don’t want to use racing flats, is Brooks Launch, and Saucany Ride. No need to go more cushion than that for a HM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll second the Altra Duo based on the description and the one review I read at [url=http://www.roadtrailrun.com/...ax-cushion-zero.html]Road Trail Run[/url].

I see they are available [url=https://www.fleetfeetsports.com/...m-duo#sku=AFM1838F-4]here[/url] already. I'll probably get a pair once they're available in the EU although I clearly don't need them...
Quote Reply
Re: I can't believe this is happening....I have to get new shoes 1 week before a 1/2IM....Clifton 2 alternative [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree the Altra Escalante is the best feel I have run in. Feels fast but very cushioned. I have the same problem that on corners they feel like they roll too much. I love the One2 and One3 for races, but they don't get great milage/wear rate.
The Torin is a great compromise if you want a high wear shoe.

The Torin is thicker than the Escalante, but the Escalante feels softer and more responsive. They did something magic with that sole.
Quote Reply