Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What was your polar plunge like?
Quote | Reply
I want to find the true bad asses here.

I will start, though I expect to be dethroned quickly.

23 Fahrenheit air temp, 37 Fahrenheit water temp. An inch or two of snow. Run in, dunk head, swim around, and run out in a matter of maybe 2 or 3 minutes.
Last edited by: Koala Bear: Jan 1, 18 16:42
Quote Reply
Re: What was your polar plunge like? [Koala Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The one in Chicago was cancelled today - about 10 mins total of skin exposure and deemed too dangerous by the FD --- it was pretty chilly - wind chill about -16F or about -25C for those so inclined... brrr...

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You realize you’re posting in the no one gives a shit about this type of thing forum right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:
I want to find the true bad asses here.

I will start, though I expect to be dethroned quickly.

23 Fahrenheit air temp, 37 Fahrenheit water temp. An inch or two of snow. Run, dunk, swim, out in a matter of maybe 2 or 3 minutes.
Doing stuff like this is sort of stupid, sort of epic. Good for you for doing it!

I would never match your effort, but I went to the local indoor pool last week. They had emptied it over the Christmas break and refilled it with fresh water. However, the pool's water heater wouldn't start up afterward. And there's never much heat for the air there. I didn't have a thermometer, but the air temp was about 50 F and the water was less than 70 F. I ended up having the pool to myself, and I toughed it out for 1750 yards.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chincoteague canceled there's

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:
23 Fahrenheit air temp, 37 Fahrenheit water temp. An inch or two of snow. Run in, dunk head, swim around, and run out in a matter of maybe 2 or 3 minutes.
Awesome. You're a maniac, sure, but it's still awesome.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only did this once. It was about 2001 I think. Air temp was -5C. Water was 1C ( 33 freedoms).

We were told to run in 3 times. But only up to your neck. Each time I went in it was worse. But I got a t shirt!

Toronto cancelled theirs this year. Not that I was going to participate...

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't do it but this was the one local to me. All they could manage was to cut a hole in the ice that people could jump into one at a time.

http://www.cbc.ca/...ld-weather-1.4469184
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of my favorite books.Swimming to Antarctica Published – Lynne Cox

I messed around with this stuff a number of years ago .It's really weird.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Water temp - 60F

Air temp - 60F

Ruined by the IG-look-at-me-selfie masses.

Someone called the local news.

Fuck this world.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Air temp last night in Chicago suburbs: -8
Water temp: 104
A chilly walk with only a towel to the hot tub.
I've done the New Years day plunge in Lake Michigan twice. Both times the air temp was in high 20s to low 30s. Water was 32.
While partly I wanted to do it for fun, I also wanted to experience sudden cold water. I've winter-camped and hiked, crossed frozen streams, skied on questionable surfaces, etc., and wanted to get an idea in a controlled environment what it would be like. Chest and head under the water takes your breath away. I've read people drown from swallowing too much water from the involuntary gasping. Coming out of the water, your whole body tingles like electricity is running through it. I changed immediately into dry clothes, but felt a deep chill in the center of my body for several hours. I'm older now and in no hurry to repeat the plunge. Wouldn't rule it out in the future, but not when it's below zero out.
Quote Reply