Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Effects of Mismatching Drivetrain?
Quote | Reply
Due to limited budget, my TT bike is a bit of a Frankenstein, put together with parts bought here on ST. This got me to thinking: What is the effect (power wasted) on having mismatched equipment?

As an example: Running a SRAM 9 speed crank, with an ultegra 10 speed cassette, using a 9 speed chain. What is the net power wasted? Do the dimensional offsets impact drive train efficiency? I would have to think that using a 10 speed crank with a 10 speed cassette with a 10 speed chain is ideal. But how much am I really giving up? Is there that much of a difference (due to increased friction or spacing differences with the teeth engaging the chain) using a 10 speed vs. 9 speed chain?
Quote Reply
Re: Effects of Mismatching Drivetrain? [eburgers69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
9 speed chain with a 10 speed cassette is a bad idea. The spacing is different and it will probably cause excessive wear. Crank should be ok. Might want to get 10 speed chainrings but I don't know for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 9 speed chain will not work with a 10 speed cassette. The spacing is wider on the 9 speed chain so it will not work correctly on a 10 speed cassette. The 9 speed chainrings will not cause too much of an issue but the chain and cassette absolutely have to match.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a 10 speed chain... think that cleans up any issue with what you're trying to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
9 speed chain on 10 speed cassette will be
1 NOISEY
2 not shift properly -- ever
3 if you did use it, would wear out the cassette quickly --

a 9 speed chain is WIDER than a 10 speed chain
Quote Reply