Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thanks for all the help... stick with 155s cranks or perhaps a bit longer?
Quote | Reply
My profile picture shows my last TT position that I could ride for hours in. That bike was destroyed when I was run over from behind Feb '15. Finally on an XS Giant Advanced Pro TT and was going to set myself up in the same position but was hoping to get some input from the slowtwitch family. My pad reach is 49 and my pad stack is 51 so long and low.

Video of me before my accident:

When I was on 155s I had to concentrate to stay backwards when I stood up and my weight was pretty far forward. I would also try to sit further back to push earlier in the pedal stroke but perhaps I should have altered my orientation on the qrings? Nonetheless I am wondering if I need to get my saddle back as well as go with a bit longer cranks? On the P3C my saddle tip was right at the BB but I intend on riding a snub-nosed saddle. I ride 165s on the road bike so was thinking that perhaps 160s might be a good compromise??

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by: xntrickly: Jan 1, 18 12:50
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks for all the help... stick with 155s cranks or perhaps a bit longer? [xntrickly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the concentration you report was more related to bar setup than crank length. Something that tilts so you can brace against the bar better may help. And you really don't want to tighten your hip angle any further (which longer cranks would do)
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks for all the help... stick with 155s cranks or perhaps a bit longer? [xntrickly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
155 are almost certainly a better choice for you than 165s. I think you are attempting to violate one tenet of choosing a crank length, which is having a really dialed in position before changing lengths. Your pedaling mechanics look pretty good (set height, setback), but your comfort doesn't look great (reach, forearm angle, extension cant, elbow width?)

As cyclenutz suggested, you are mistaking a comfort issue with a crank length issue.

On another note, it is really common for riders who are using shorter than 165mm cranks, to get a lot of bullshit information and suggestions from their cycling buddies. Especially the faster riders (who seem to have more cycling buddies). Not saying this is you, but you seem like a faster rider...
Last edited by: FindinFreestyle: Jan 2, 18 5:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing I’d suggest is ditch the s bends and go for a shallow upward sloped extension. That normally helps make it easy to hold position. It looks like the pads are pointing down slightly. Try getting them flat or slightly tilted up as a first step.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks for all the help... stick with 155s cranks or perhaps a bit longer? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
I think the concentration you report was more related to bar setup than crank length. Something that tilts so you can brace against the bar better may help. And you really don't want to tighten your hip angle any further (which longer cranks would do)

Firstly thanks for taking the time to respond. I've also been perusing comments in the "Cranks and crank length as personal as pedals and shoes" thread and your input is appreciated. Yes as I recall I would have been more comfortable if I had been able to tilt the pads up a bit so that I could be braced backward a bit. My thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks for all the help... stick with 155s cranks or perhaps a bit longer? [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkippyKitten wrote:
One thing I’d suggest is ditch the s bends and go for a shallow upward sloped extension. That normally helps make it easy to hold position. It looks like the pads are pointing down slightly. Try getting them flat or slightly tilted up as a first step.

Agreed Skippy... the new TT frame has the stock extensions which are ski bends but I would prefer the slightly upward sloping ones like those seen on the missile bars or something similar. Cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks for all the help... stick with 155s cranks or perhaps a bit longer? [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
155 are almost certainly a better choice for you than 165s. I think you are attempting to violate one tenet of choosing a crank length, which is having a really dialed in position before changing lengths. Your pedaling mechanics look pretty good (set height, setback), but your comfort doesn't look great (reach, forearm angle, extension cant, elbow width?)

As cyclenutz suggested, you are mistaking a comfort issue with a crank length issue.

On another note, it is really common for riders who are using shorter than 165mm cranks, to get a lot of bullshit information and suggestions from their cycling buddies. Especially the faster riders (who seem to have more cycling buddies). Not saying this is you, but you seem like a faster rider...

Thanks for the kind words; I'd like to think I'm faster heh heh. The bars that come on the Advanced Pro TT are far more adjustable than the USE Tula bars but I'll likely be looking for some gently sloping extensions... been looking over at tririg.com site at some of his stuff but need to see if I need more drop before I go shopping. Thanks for taking the time to add your input as it is greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you need more pad adjustment on the Trinity - Profile Design pads have the same spacing and give a lot more options (wait for Race armrests to be released).

I put Zipp 110 extensions on for one of my guys who has a Trinity. But I'm not that stoked with the wrist angle they give. The USE alloy extensions are cheap and give lots of angle options. The ideal would be some angled spacers under the armrest and a double bend extension so they follow your arm closely.

If anything with your cranks, I'd look at shorter as there is a hint of restriction in your pedaling action. But first I'd focus on making the bars support you better, which might help stretch your back a bit more.
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks for all the help... stick with 155s cranks or perhaps a bit longer? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
If you need more pad adjustment on the Trinity - Profile Design pads have the same spacing and give a lot more options (wait for Race armrests to be released).

I put Zipp 110 extensions on for one of my guys who has a Trinity. But I'm not that stoked with the wrist angle they give. The USE alloy extensions are cheap and give lots of angle options. The ideal would be some angled spacers under the armrest and a double bend extension so they follow your arm closely.

If anything with your cranks, I'd look at shorter as there is a hint of restriction in your pedaling action. But first I'd focus on making the bars support you better, which might help stretch your back a bit more.

Thanks very much (again) for all of the help. I'll be looking for the different pads and extensions and will start with your suggestions. I'm also thinking that I might need to look over at tririg.com as they have those extension holders that are very low and I like the extentions they have over there as well. Cheers.
Quote Reply