Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Seasoning FN Cast Iron
Quote | Reply
Okay, the bottom of our Wagner says to place oiled skillet in preheated oven to 300*F for an hour. Put into use and lightly re-oil before storing I've read elsewhere to use a higher temp and repeat the process a number of times to achieve polymerization. The rest was pretty much the same, except saying its okay to use mild soapy water to clean.

Cooks, chefs & scientists, what say you?
Quote Reply
Re: Seasoning FN Cast Iron [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a cook, chef, or scientist, but here is what I have learned:

A 'basic' seasoning is essentially what you described. I would say that is the bare minimum to get your pan ready for cooking. The first few times you cook with it you may find food sticking to the pan. The more you cook with it, the better that seasoning becomes. You know your pan is good when you can cook eggs and they just slide off the skillet leaving nothing behind.

The less seasoned your pan, the more careful you have to be with cooking. Heat the pan (takes longer with cast), add the oil, let the oil heat up, then cook.

I've never washed my pan with soap. I have a cheap, soft scrub brush I use just for that pan (our main scrub brush also dispenses soap, so, don't want to use that). Always very lightly oiled before storing.

Seems to be working pretty well for me. Usually do steaks and any meat require searing, eggs and bacon, etc and I can make one mean frittata in it.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a good video on YouTube narrated by a girl, but you never see anything other than the pan and her hand.
She said to oil thinly and put in oven at 500 degrees. Make sure to coat all surfaces since it is 1 piece of metal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coincidentally, i have one in the oven right now. I bought a victoria 10" off amazon last week. I planned on using flax but dont have any more so i used crisco. Coat every inch inside and out and put it in at 450 for an hour.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply