Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why cast iron pan? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I wouldn't use it for things that are acidic like tomato sauce, but I've heard that a really well seasoned pan can handle that as well.

Well thirty years of making spaghetti sauce in a cast iron pan and I had no clue. Mine have held up well. I only had to re-season one once in that time and it must have been something my ex-wife did to it.

Lately I have been using a deep, 7 quart or so stainless steel(and some other stuff in bottom) pan for the sauce as stove stays cleaner since it is deep. Also kids are bigger and eat much more. Also cast iron in that size would be too heavy.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Why cast iron pan? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
The pan cooking a steak, brought up what I will call a fad of cast iron pans.

Or I am totally missing something in the science side as to why this cast iron pan fad is happening.

For vegans they will actually increase the iron levels in their blood. Low iron levels is a bit of a problem for vegans who aren't careful about it.

MYTH, can provide links if you want.

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/...ting-cast-iron-myths

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Last edited by: DavHamm: Dec 31, 17 20:21
Quote Reply
Re: Why cast iron pan? [bazilbrush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe that Le Creuset is enamel coated.
Quote Reply
Re: Why cast iron pan? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You really have problems with uneven heating???? That is one of the benefits of cast iron, because it should be near temperature everywhere. I had/have the problem of being patient and let it heat up properly before I put food into it. I use mine for everything. We've ditched everything teflon and cast iron and stainless is all we have now.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
The pan cooking a steak, brought up what I will call a fad of cast iron pans.

As explained in that thread, I get it for a steak cook. Cast iron has a great heat retention, so as in the case of a steak I get it you want to get the pan really hot, then transfer that heat into the steak, a thin pan will not hold enough heat to tranfer into the steak.

But cast iron is terrible at distributing heat so the pans have hot and cold spots (unless you have them over a massive flame to heat the entire pan, or keep them on the stove for a long time to wait for the heat to distribute, but as we said, they like to hold their heat so it takes time for the heat to distribute evenly).

I totally understand cast iron on an open flame campfire, yup right tool for the job. But frying an egg on a stove makes no sense. Which is why I call it a fad, The science of cooking is growing and spreading, eventually pots and pans will get explained to people.

Or I am totally missing something in the science side as to why this cast iron pan fad is happening.

I know this is the lavender room, but I will break the rules and include some links
http://www.cookingissues.com/...n-cooking/index.html

https://www.chowhound.com/...iron-aluminum-738175

https://www.chowhound.com/...ron-doesn-t-do-best/

I didn't read your links, but I have to say I'm a bit baffled by the "uneven" heating thing. I've never had that issue with my Lodge cast iron pan, nor my La Crueset enameled dutch oven. One of my favorite things to cook in my cast iron is seared scallops, and one would think that some would be done differently than others if there was uneven heating, yet they all have the same perfect crusty sear. Oh, and I don't know why you would try and fry eggs in one. Seems like somebody was going out of their way to try and find a use case that cast iron wasn't very good at.

Quote | Reply
i fry my eggs in them because I can. I can because mine is perfectly seasoned and nothing sticks to it. I always smile and think that my grandmother would be so proud. My cast iron pans are about 60 years old. For the longest time cast iron was the only type of pan i owned.
Quote Reply
Re: Why cast iron pan? [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How often do you make spaghetti sauce? It seems like it would be often if you'd been using something as shallow as a cast iron pan to make it. My norm is to load up on tomatoes and seasonal veggies at the farmer's market when tomatoes are at their peak, spend an afternoon or two making a ton of sauce, and then bagging & freezing it. I roast the tomatoes & then use a massive stock pot to simmer it all down together for a while & an immersion blender to make it saucy. Occasionally I want a simple sauce that's just tomato, seasonings, butter, and basil so I'll grab a can of high quality tomatoes and use those, but it's still easier in a sauce pot compared to my large cast iron pan. But there are a lot of cast iron uses that just can't be beat any other way.

H- wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't use it for things that are acidic like tomato sauce, but I've heard that a really well seasoned pan can handle that as well.

Well thirty years of making spaghetti sauce in a cast iron pan and I had no clue. Mine have held up well. I only had to re-season one once in that time and it must have been something my ex-wife did to it.

Lately I have been using a deep, 7 quart or so stainless steel(and some other stuff in bottom) pan for the sauce as stove stays cleaner since it is deep. Also kids are bigger and eat much more. Also cast iron in that size would be too heavy.
Quote Reply
Re: Why cast iron pan? [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
How often do you make spaghetti sauce? It seems like it would be often if you'd been using something as shallow as a cast iron pan to make it. My norm is to load up on tomatoes and seasonal veggies at the farmer's market when tomatoes are at their peak, spend an afternoon or two making a ton of sauce, and then bagging & freezing it. I roast the tomatoes & then use a massive stock pot to simmer it all down together for a while & an immersion blender to make it saucy. Occasionally I want a simple sauce that's just tomato, seasonings, butter, and basil so I'll grab a can of high quality tomatoes and use those, but it's still easier in a sauce pot compared to my large cast iron pan. But there are a lot of cast iron uses that just can't be beat any other way.

That is weird man. To make spaghetti sauce you just fry up some ground beef and throwing in a jar of sauce. Clearly you don't know much about cooking.

;)

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Normal people also know that ground beef comes from cows not stores and that factory made tomato sauce sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just made ham and eggs in mine, would have thrown in some hash browns but had a big lunch. Tomorrow it'll be a ground sirloin burger. So, it's versatile, easy to use, virtually indestructible, provides great results, and easy to clean.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining
Quote Reply
Re: Why cast iron pan? [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ive never made fresh tomato sauce and your post has me wishing tomatoes were in season!

Putting this on my to do list. I freaking love buying produce at the farmers market

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t. Apparently I ran too far from my white trash, Prego-infused childhood. /pink/

H- wrote:
Quote:

That is weird man. To make spaghetti sauce you just fry up some ground beef and throwing in a jar of sauce. Clearly you don't know much about cooking.

;)
Quote Reply
Re: Why cast iron pan? [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh man, you’re in for a treat if you make it. So easy to do as well, at least if you use an immersion blender. It’s relaxing and meditative & satisfying to share with friends.

veganerd wrote:
Ive never made fresh tomato sauce and your post has me wishing tomatoes were in season!

Putting this on my to do list. I freaking love buying produce at the farmers market
Quote Reply
Re: Why cast iron pan? [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ol Dan Tuckers'frying pan was most certainly iron. Ain't never heard he washed in a skillet!

sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: Why cast iron pan? [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ready4Launch wrote:
You really have problems with uneven heating???? That is one of the benefits of cast iron, because it should be near temperature everywhere. I had/have the problem of being patient and let it heat up properly before I put food into it. I use mine for everything. We've ditched everything teflon and cast iron and stainless is all we have now.

Read the links I provided. There are a lot of myths and misinformation about cast iron. Don't feel like trying to correct all the misinformation.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Why cast iron pan? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok,

So my take away from this is 2 things.

1) Apparently the even heat distribution, in the base of a skillet is not very important, cause lots of folks here don't have issues.

2) the myth's surounding cast iron are heavily believed.
In brief, unless simmering or stewing for more than 30 min acidic food is fine in cast iron pan, they have huge temperature variations across the base of the pan, on gas or electric or induction, modern soap will not ruin the seasoning (but Lye will) I think those are the big three.

Thanks for the input, wont be going cast iron as its to heavy for the wife, and I don't want to worry about having to smooth out the bottom to not scratch the surface glass.

Just Triing
Quote Reply

Prev Next