Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cycling/Triathlon Products & Services that Don't Exist and Need to Exist [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
Richard Blaine wrote:
...snip...

You are way more serious than I intend to be about race formats.

Don't see how mentioning crashes - they happen all the time in cycling - is insensitive and irresponsible. Sorry for whatever happened to you as it seems to have impacted you more than the knock out concussions than many of us have experienced. Most crashes do not involve TBI, especially during the race. The few that I know of in cycling happened while the rider was training.

It sounds like you want things they way they are and you are set up for that. I on the other hand was tossing out some changes because the OP was asking for changes.

The way it is will probably be the way it stays. Good luck with your TBI as those are devastating injuries that I would not wish on anyone.

(We're getting way off topic here ;-)

I'm not wedded to the status-quo. I'm just a black hat thinker, somebody that always tries to punch holes in other people's ideas. It's a horrible character trait and I apologise :-)

You seemed to imply that young guys would be more interested in racing DL because it's exciting because of the increased chance of crashes. In my opinion that's the same irresponsible thinking as claiming that the NFL is fine because people enjoy seeing 300lb men maul each other into CTE. Most crashes may not involve a TBI, but some do. And, sure, crashes are inevitable, but pushing one form of racing because crashes are more likely is unacceptable, and I'm not going to let that go.

You do realise that every concussion is a TBI, right? There is not physiological difference between my experience and being knocked out cold because you fell of your bike. It's a sliding scale of lasting effects.

And to bring the thread back to where it needs to be here's what I would like:
Some sort of system where I can order parts online, and they get delivered to my door, but my LBS gets its cut.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling/Triathlon Products & Services that Don't Exist and Need to Exist [iamAERO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamAERO wrote:
Home bike fits are the future and they will have the same data available as an in person fit.

A bit of development with Notch sensors would allow for all the 3D data in a Retul bike fit to be obtained from the person's home. The fitter could mail the sensors with prepaid return postage before the fit then have a short calibration session. You could do the same mobility/flexibility testing as at the fitter's place before the fit, then hop on the bike.

It can also be done for run analysis, strength, swimming (they are waterproof), etc.

If you were ever trained on the Retul system, you would understand that there is no way the general consumer is going to place sensors on their body precisely enough to produce data as accurate as an experienced fitter's eye looking at quality video. Sensor placement was almost an entire day of the Retul course. Flexibility / mobility assessments are largely bullshit for bike fitting.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling/Triathlon Products & Services that Don't Exist and Need to Exist [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the best part of these sensors. Anywhere on the forearm and it figures out where you elbow and wrist are. The same goes for all joints. Consumers shouldn't be able to mess it up
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling/Triathlon Products & Services that Don't Exist and Need to Exist [iamAERO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Notch isn't even close yet. Way too much drift right now.

That said, IMU's will be the future of motion capture for many things including athletics, and you're correct, placement isn't nearly as important as something like an active LED marker.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling/Triathlon Products & Services that Don't Exist and Need to Exist [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:

Some sort of system where I can order parts online, and they get delivered to my door, but my LBS gets its cut.

OK back on topic. Perhaps you're an idealist here. What if someone rude with little aptitude for service sets up a LBS close to you to get their "cut"?

Others have written where they have an LBS with minimal overhead. The LBS makes money by doing the service better than the one (you or me) with the parts. I happily pay the price that's less costly than me screwing it up.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling/Triathlon Products & Services that Don't Exist and Need to Exist [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello kileyay and All,

I 'need' some one sided sticky tape ... 3M are you listening? That I can put around the circumference of my tire when it is worn .... the tape will be cold vulcanizing ....... it can have a catchy name like 'retreading' ..... and make my tire good for another few hundred miles ....

.... I will not have to remove the tire .... just tape it and go.

Tape in various mil thickness for racing .... or training ..... or gravel .... and various colors ......

Obviously the tape will be provided by a different company than one that manufactures tires.

https://www.walmart.com/...27044490?wmlspartner

36 feet of tape for $37.19 ...... and about 6.88 feet per wheel with 23mm tire ..... no hassle removing tire ..... = cost effective

• Self-boding and self-curing
  • Withstands 500 degrees F direct, continuous heat (not sure of Crr but great for those long tortuous descents)
  • Stretch and wrap application
  • Corrosion and moisture resistant,

DEI Fire Tape is a multi use, self-fusing tape that can be used to cover wires, seal temporary leaks, and much much more. Made of a non-adhesive silicone rubber, Fire Tape is waterproof, remains flexible, and does not leave a sticky residue after removal. Ideal for use with Fire Sleeve and other DEI hose protective sleeving products, it serves as an excellent insulating alternative to vinyl tapes and wraps. Other uses include wrapping wiring harnesses, covering and protecting wire splices, and electrical wire terminations.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling/Triathlon Products & Services that Don't Exist and Need to Exist [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:

Group/Community Rides IRL: You can find all these people to ride with virtually, but you increasingly cannot find anyone or a group to ride with on a nice day. There has to be a strategy for us to facilitate group rides in real life, because these shared experiences are what bring new people into the sport and help them get over their fears and eventually walk the marathon at an IRONMAN.

Bike shops today are failing to sustain the community and social aspects of the sport that are its foundation. Digital communities are emerging like this one, but not all of them spread offline. When is the last time you rode with someone you met on Zwift? Someone could and should step in. Strava may be best suited to facilitate local and hyper-local interaction, because their platform is how I have found almost everyone I ride with, outside of slowtwitch, but they are a very focused and conservative company that is content to grow the customer base patiently and keep the product itself simple and effective. As a social institution and agent for community, Strava may be the most valuable service we have. Private messaging on Strava would go a long way, and maybe that's part of the freemium model. Making 'events' for individuals rather than their poorly executed challenges and groups, or for riders in a specific location to get out there together. So basically Zwift, but with real life rides? Meet ups, but like, we can actually meet up. It's nice out.

There is a good app for this, but no one uses it.

http://www.join.cc
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling/Triathlon Products & Services that Don't Exist and Need to Exist [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4iiii has a rechargeable dual sided power meter coming this year.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What really needs to exist, but doesn't, are more options for prescription goggles, esp. racing goggles. If someone came out with prescription swedes, they'd have my business for life. I'd pay a ridiculous markup for something like that.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling/Triathlon Products & Services that Don't Exist and Need to Exist [hutchy_belfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hutchy_belfast wrote:
I want somebody to make a realistically priced vasa ergometer alternative. If they were a bit cheaper they'd surely sell by the boat load.

I agree, I would probably get one if they were cheaper.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling/Triathlon Products & Services that Don't Exist and Need to Exist [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to see Cee Gees take the idea of an angled arm rest (like what Watt Shop does) and incorporate the angle into the pad itself so that it could be used with a standard flat arm rest - hardware remains the same, no issues, we get the tilt we want.

- Drew

---------------------------------------
I am a living animal, tied to a dying soul. -PKD

Quote Reply
Re: Cycling/Triathlon Products & Services that Don't Exist and Need to Exist [d_smitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d_smitty wrote:
I'd like to see Cee Gees take the idea of an angled arm rest (like what Watt Shop does) and incorporate the angle into the pad itself so that it could be used with a standard flat arm rest - hardware remains the same, no issues, we get the tilt we want.

- Drew

I've wondered about doing this...simply putting an angled shim between the cups and pads. The aero bars will still be at a flat angle. Some bars, like ski bends, would likely be fine. Would others work as well?
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling/Triathlon Products & Services that Don't Exist and Need to Exist [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would work with my Zipp Evo 110s.

- Drew

---------------------------------------
I am a living animal, tied to a dying soul. -PKD

Quote Reply

Prev Next