Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pan cook a steak? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

The Anova cooker is only $100 btw.

They have become quite affordable. I think the cheapest was around $250 when I was looking to try it.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Pan cook a steak? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I don't grill, I generally follow his method but substitute with a little time under broiler and a little less time searing.

Re: Pan cook a steak? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Fucked one up last night. Way too rare. Outside was perfect but 1 cm in was warm and red. No pink.

We tried this. Once. They were cooked just fine, and they tasted great. But our oven's overhead fan/filter setup couldn't keep up and I set off a few of the smoke alarms and it took about 30 minutes, in mid-winter, all all the downstairs windows and doors/doorwall open to get the smoke and the smell out. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Pan cook a steak? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
windywave wrote:
Fucked one up last night. Way too rare. Outside was perfect but 1 cm in was warm and red. No pink.

We tried this. Once. They were cooked just fine, and they tasted great. But our oven's overhead fan/filter setup couldn't keep up and I set off a few of the smoke alarms and it took about 30 minutes, in mid-winter, all all the downstairs windows and doors/doorwall open to get the smoke and the smell out. ;-)

I have had that happen. Until we got this: https://www.bestbuy.com/...5532.p?skuId=8935532

650 cfm exhaust capacity. 3 speeds. Yeah baby! If you stand outside where the vent ports and put it on high, it nearly knocks you over! Seriously, it is crazy powerful!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Pan cook a steak? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Depends on the cut. For a ribeye I find that spooning butter over it helps break down the fat. For a leaner cut I wouldn't use butter.

I also find for a leaner cut that it really doesn't need much time if the steak is at room temperature to start. I flip it every thirty seconds for a total of 3 minutes in a very hot pan (cast iron skillet on induction hob), then let it rest and it comes out perfect every time.

Butter to break down fat? What kind of craziness is that? And why are you trying to do to "break down the fat". You buy highly marbled, high end steak to EAT the fat. Not break it down and fry it off.

My go to: Sous Vide the steak, sear it either on pan or on the grill. perfection.
Quote Reply
Re: Pan cook a steak? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
I have since changed to sous vide then finish on the grill coated with olive oil and ghee.

This. Got a sous vide last year, and whether your finish on the grill or in a cast iron skillet, it's superior to anything else.

Ghee's probably better than butter, but butter always works. Salt, ghee/butter, then fresh pepper once it's off the grill.
Quote Reply
Re: Pan cook a steak? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
windywave wrote:

I have had that happen. Until we got this: https://www.bestbuy.com/...5532.p?skuId=8935532

650 cfm exhaust capacity. 3 speeds. Yeah baby! If you stand outside where the vent ports and put it on high, it nearly knocks you over! Seriously, it is crazy powerful!

We rarely do a kitchen reno these days without installing ridiculously overpowered hood fans at the request of the client. Many are north of 1200cfm. You could suck a small child up one of those. It's like some bizarre kitchen arms race.

Houses are getting so air tight that when you fire the hood fans up, you can actually see large windows flex inwards as the air is moved out of the room if there isn't a makeup air unit installed. Pretty funny stuff.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Pan cook a steak? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
windywave wrote:

I'm getting stimulated just reading about this bad boy. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Pan cook a steak? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flip steak every 15 or 30 secs for 5 mins in cast iron pan. Use butter also. Has never failed me.
Quote Reply
Re: Pan cook a steak? [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
Flip steak every 15 or 30 secs for 5 mins in cast iron pan. Use butter also. Has never failed me.

So I tried the cast iron pan method yesterday. My wife, who likes her steaks well done said her steak was real good. I, who likes them rare, overcooked it, but I was not flipping it constantly either. I used butter after pulling the steak out of the grill and let it sit for 8 minutes. I must say that the steak was very juicy.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply

Prev Next