Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Crispy FN Sweet Potato Fries...
Quote | Reply
How the hell do I do it? Love 'em, but my homemade ones never seem to be up to par on the crispy scale.
Quote Reply
Re: Crispy FN Sweet Potato Fries... [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How thick you cut them? I use a mandolin some olive oil salt and rosemary. 400F for about 10 to 15 minutes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Parboil first. Then deep fry.
Quote Reply
Re: Crispy FN Sweet Potato Fries... [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's been a while, but I was trying to keep them about the same size as a regular potato fry. May try knewbike's idea of parboiling. Anyone try double frying? Kind of awkward with a fire paranoid wife fluttering about and deep frying on the stove.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
It's been a while, but I was trying to keep them about the same size as a regular potato fry. May try knewbike's idea of parboiling. Anyone try double frying? Kind of awkward with a fire paranoid wife fluttering about and deep frying on the stove.

Are you using a fryer? I make mine in the oven so maybe what I am doing is apples to oranges and won't be as crispy as you want
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:

You need an Actifry!! (I don't have one, I've just seen the commercials)
Quote Reply
Re: Crispy FN Sweet Potato Fries... [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have an actifry and love it! I'm not entirely sure that sweet potatoes are sturdy enough for the fryer's stirring stick. Wings & home made 'boneless' pork, woah - can't get enough of it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
We have an actifry and love it! I'm not entirely sure that sweet potatoes are sturdy enough for the fryer's stirring stick. Wings & home made 'boneless' pork, woah - can't get enough of it!

I sense an experiment.

I should have gotten one for my husband for Christmas - he loves wings.
Quote Reply
Re: Crispy FN Sweet Potato Fries... [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The double were(are?) on sale at Canadian Tire, I was very close to upgrading to the 2 layer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Deep fried sweet potato fries are tough to get right. If you overcrisp the sugars will caramelize too much and become bitter.

Either preboil, as mentioned. Make sure to drain really well, then refrigerate or put in the freezer for a bit.

Or deep fry on very low heat until soft. Cool, then fry on high heat like a traditional double fry. Just remember the first cook is an attempt to get as much moisture out as possible. After the second cook, if they are crispy, then soften a lot in the next minute or so, it means not enough moisture escaped.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
425 convection
in large bowl toss 1/4 inch slices with a high heat oil, bread crumbs,salt and whatever else...and please..some 1/2 inch onion pieces.
spread out over sheet tray covered with parchment..let er rip! watch closely..till tinged in brown.. Must serve immediately ...catsup on mine.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: Crispy FN Sweet Potato Fries... [mustangchef] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do similar with sweet potatoes but without the bread crumbs for breakfast home fries.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply