Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Coach have any duty to protect/guide a client?
Quote | Reply
Ok, I’ll start out with the typical disclaimers
-it’s their money and body, people can do as they please
-people do crazy shit all the time, how is this any different
-if it makes them happy.....
- why so judgmental????? I’ve been injured most of the year so my workouts have been more the sniping from the sideline type. :)
- it’s none of my business. Check.

Have a friend that’s relatively new to the sport (first tri was I think 2016). First IM was November 2016. His stated goal is get 12 to kona as fast as he can. Think he did 3 this year including 3 in 5 weeks.

Talking to him recently, I knew he was doing ultra man in February, and asked what else he had planned. He said seven IMs. That’s UM plus 7 IMs from February to November. About 1 IM per month. This is fully endorsed by his coach, I don’t know if they’re well known or not but they have become popular in this area recently

I can’t even imagine training for that schedule. He’s a 15 ish hour finisher for what it’s worth (not judging the time, just noting he isn’t seeming to do any damage that might be caused by 7 nine hour finishes). This is just my opinion having done a few and having seen people come and go in 14 years of racing, but I can’t imagjne this is good either for this persons long term health or longevity in the sport.

But the question for me is not whether he should or shouldn’t do this (his business, his money, etc see above), but does / should a coach have any obligation to rein a schedule like this in? Or is it simply serving the 12 to kona goal and take the money and have him sit on a trainer for 8 hours (he does this)?

Happy New Year!
Last edited by: ChrisM: Dec 31, 17 10:49
Quote Reply
Re: Coach have any duty to protect/guide a client? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that many IMs sounds expensive

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would tell him to knock it off.

Maybe two Ironman distance races per year for the next three years and see how he holds up to the training.
Quote Reply
Re: Coach have any duty to protect/guide a client? [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

And stupid

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've got a young lady in our area that's on the "12 as fast as possible" trip and always hurt. Wonder why.
Last edited by: logella: Dec 31, 17 12:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would hope at the minimum the coach-athlete had this conversation before starting to work together. If so, then no there isn't any obligation. Their agreement was predicated on the understanding. Or the coach could totally suck and just want to collect a check and plans on just training him long all the time.

From a training perspective (while I would NEVER recommend it) I've worked with several athletes that this wouldn't negatively impact in a major way. I'd be concerned about their long term durability but depending on the stress it takes for them to finish a 15 hour IM, it might not be that big of a deal.

For example, say the athlete is a 1:20/7:00/6:30 for an IM. He swims masters 3x a week, loves to ride his bike and really never stands a chance to be a good runner. You could theoretically train him all year to do an IM swim, ride a long steady 112 miles and never have him train more than 2 hours for a run since he will run walk it anyway.

Last year I worked with a 58 year old who did 4 different IM races. I wasn't thrilled with his choices (we'd worked together for a few years). I basically laid out the plan and gave him the green light. I explained that our ability to work on certain things will be limited because we have to keep the volume high. He didn't care. He wanted to go out, have fun and if got a pr, then great. I worked with what he gave me and he had a good first race and mediocre other races. But he was happy. At the end of the day, I always view my job as helping the athlete meet their goals. As long as that isn't a moving target, I don't have a problem supporting different goals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone comes to me wanting to do 12 IM's to make KQ, I'm making that last as long as I can from a business standpoint...1 a year and I'll see you in Kona in 2028.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Ok, I’ll start out with the typical disclaimers
-it’s their money and body, people can do as they please
-people do crazy shit all the time, how is this any different
-if it makes them happy.....
- why so judgmental????? I’ve been injured most of the year so my workouts have been more the sniping from the sideline type. :)
- it’s none of my business. Check.

Have a friend that’s relatively new to the sport (first tri was I think 2016). First IM was November 2016. His stated goal is get 12 to kona as fast as he can. Think he did 3 this year including 3 in 5 weeks.

Talking to him recently, I knew he was doing ultra man in February, and asked what else he had planned. He said seven IMs. That’s UM plus 7 IMs from February to November. About 1 IM per month. This is fully endorsed by his coach, I don’t know if they’re well known or not but they have become popular in this area recently

I can’t even imagine training for that schedule. He’s a 15 ish hour finisher for what it’s worth (not judging the time, just noting he isn’t seeming to do any damage that might be caused by 7 nine hour finishes). This is just my opinion having done a few and having seen people come and go in 14 years of racing, but I can’t imagjne this is good either for this persons long term health or longevity in the sport.

But the question for me is not whether he should or shouldn’t do this (his business, his money, etc see above), but does / should a coach have any obligation to rein a schedule like this in? Or is it simply serving the 12 to kona goal and take the money and have him sit on a trainer for 8 hours (he does this)?

Happy New Year!

It is pretty hard to make a judgement with these facts. While I don't think "racing" an incredible number of Ironmans is good for your health, I also think that if you bang out the swim / bike (at an super easy pace, maybe even 2-3 breaks on the bike) and then jog / walk, power walk, or just plain, walk the run. You will be out there for a good 8 hours but it isn't the same as racing. As I see it, I truly believe a lot of endurance athletes could benefit from a therapist, often times, coaches sort of play that role without certification. Regardless we all don't really know the discussion that have taken place regarding the coaching agreement, training, and race execution plan.

Now to some extent the coach should have duty to properly explain the risks of such a schedule, but again, maybe those risks have been made and the athlete chooses to go forward regardless.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Coach have any duty to protect/guide a client? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Now to some extent the coach should have duty to properly explain the risks of such a schedule, but again, maybe those risks have been made and the athlete chooses to go forward regardless.

That's what I was thinking. The athlete is an adult, and let's just say the athlete had the idea first THEN talked to the coach. The coach might think, well this isn't the best idea but it seems like he is going to do it, so maybe I can help him along and do it in a less-bad way.
Quote Reply
Re: Coach have any duty to protect/guide a client? [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kevin in MD wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

That's what I was thinking. The athlete is an adult, and let's just say the athlete had the idea first THEN talked to the coach. The coach might think, well this isn't the best idea but it seems like he is going to do it, so maybe I can help him along and do it in a less-bad way.

The funny thing is I was discussing this guys schedule this on Facebook and someone from a different part of the country pm’d me and said “sounds like he’s coached by X,” and nailed it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Kevin in MD wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

The funny thing is I was discussing this guys schedule this on Facebook and someone from a different part of the country pm’d me and said “sounds like he’s coached by X,” and nailed it.

sounds like he has a "lifestyle" coach

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, the coach has a responsibility to not hurt an athlete. If he takes the athlete's money whether he/she endorses the plan or not, he needs to tell the athlete this isn't a good idea and if the athlete doesn't listen then the coach needs to walk away. But this gets right at the heart of the problem in triathlon coaching right now, everyone is certified but very few are qualified.

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I met a women during one of my IMFLs who was pregnant maybe 5-6 months and doing her 6th or 7th IM of the year. Her fiance did some 6-10 IMs a year. She joined his lifestyle to do the same races he did. She ended up pregnant and when IM only offered a small refund she decided to do all the races she signed up for with him. She did the swim and bike and then walked the run. I believe IMFL was her last one of the year.

Some people are crazy....like what are they thinking. Wonder how much he will spend in the year and in the goal to get 12 IMs done?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Chris, I don't yet know who this is (athlete or coach) but since we live in the same hood....I suspect I'll know soon. Initially this was a tough call for me; if a client contacts me and says "I need to get to Kona via this path in one year, it's all I care about." I'm probably try and talk them down from what seems like a VERY risky plan. If they resist and say "either you help me or I'll find someone who will" well then I'm probably taking on the athlete and I'm going to do my best to help guide this process and avoid the anticipated pitfalls. That "initially" part passed with your note later in the thread relating to the out-of-towner who predicted the party at the helm. That makes me worry that this type of thing is....what?....common? Could that possibly be true!

BTW, this doesn't just happen at the AG/Mdot arena. I know a coach in Boulder with no education beyond their own elite athlete experience (funny how I can give all that away and because it's Boulder we still have 3-5 names that come to mind) and they are stringing along an elite athlete who's just hanging on to a pro-card by the skin of their teeth. That too is a very difficult call to make - should the coach say "look, we've been in development mode for 5 years and it's clear we have to make a change - either goals or coach 'cause we haven't seen the improvements needed"...or....some other acknowledgement.

To some extent the coach-athlete relationship is a bit like a marriage; nobody, beyond those two people involved, know the truth of what is going on within the relationship. So just as you prefaced your OP - I can't judge and it's not any of my business until the coach calls me saying "hey, I'm struggling with an athlete and I'd like some advice".

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

12 will get him in the Legacy program but not the starting line. If I remember correctly, at about this point in time, it takes about 14 to 15 finishes to get to the start at Kona.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Last edited by: hblake: Dec 31, 17 14:16
Quote Reply
Re: Coach have any duty to protect/guide a client? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

And stupid

Would be cheaper to buy an auctioned one almost wouldn't it? Also don't get the drive to do Kona. I can understand someone who has done it for so many years and never got close earning their right to go but someone off the bat deciding do enough IMs in two years cheapens what the legacy program to me stands for in my eyes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. They are upping their game in 2018. Definitely a bit crazier than the 3x in 6 weeks or so that he did in 2017. Agree that this seems like a recipe for disaster. I think this coach and athlete are enabling each other. Athlete is looking to get to Kona quickly and coach loves the exposure of having athlete complete a whole bunch of them. Neither can say no to each other. I sort of get the Kona thing but the UM is a new development. There is no way he is going to make the time cut offs. Also, don't you have to apply for UM?

Let me know when you want to stage and intervention...only half pink
Quote Reply