Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Signs of a deal on Craigslist
Quote | Reply
This is kindof a PSA / FYI post I have been thinking about for a while:

I have been looking for a deal on two different bikes (road and tri) for two friends who have asked me for help. I spent 10 years previously in the bike industry and have stayed pretty attuned to what's going on since leaving 15 years ago.

Anyway, in looking at CL there are some tell-tale signs of a great deal, that seem to run commonly and almost create a persona / profile user of a great deal for you in the making....

First, my sense is in road and tri the sweet spot bargain wise seems to be about 5-7 year old models. Newer and you pay a lot more, older and you get something that has some serious impediments to modern upgrades. Generally you see stuff for 1/2-1/3 of what it sold for new. Examples might be P2 pre 2014 or a Cannondale CAAD 9 or 10 road bike... These bikes are very commonly being sold. I think this is the sweetspot to buy a used bike and have money for meaningful upgrades that will make the bike great.

Next, look for the following:
- An all original OEM bike - look for something that the user bought and felt was fine as is - if they ever really got into riding they typically start upgrading, you want the bike from the one and done tri person, or the person who tried the bike for a season then moved on. It then sat there for five years and now they are finally trying to sell it.
- If there are upgrades they should be limited to stems (like a 45 degree rise stem for more comfort!) or seats
- All original tires, complete with nubbies and no wear on the rear if visible in the photos
- The background of the photos should seem normal, not too much junk or clutter.
- Noobs typically take strange photos of their bikes, i.e. non drivetrain side-profile, irrelevant additional pictures such as a close up of where the seat hits the seatpost, etc.
- When you see the original reflectors in a photo that is a great sign the seller failed to launch
- Valve stem donuts and caps that are identical F+R, they mean that they never got a flat or that they never learned they are not even necessary
- Jacked up computer mounts, really crazy wiring or backward sensors, but better because you can ask to see the odometer
- If there are photos of parts like cassettes and chainrings they don't look worn at all
- poorly positioned seat height, handlebar angle, or seat tilt - guaranteeing the bike was never to comfortable to ride and probably did not get ridden much
- One seller had his ironman race stickers on that I googled to 2010 and athlinks confirmed he had never done another race
- Comments like "I only used this in one race"

I am sure there is more that I am not thinking about but for me these are the things I see when looking for a deal.
Last edited by: endosch2: Dec 31, 17 10:22
Quote Reply
Re: Signs of a deal on Craigslist [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
right now I am spending a lot of time searching for a used tri bike. I'll add a few comments:

A lot of them mention that they got injured and had to give up the sport. I think you throw out a discounted cash offer to these guys and ask them to give you all their extra stuff
The biggest value mistake I have seen is that some will sell a pretty solid bike but they will include a set of racing wheels whereas many sellers at the same price point don't include the wheels. Two sets of wheels is even better one for training and one for racing. These are bikes in the $1200-1500 range with wheels that would cost upwards of $1000 to replace. I wish I knew how to tell when a set of wheels is still good or like new, maybe just spin them and check they are true?
Some cassettes you see with a lot of grease and gunk on them...I think thats a sign of a poorly maintained bike. I look for the clean shiny cassettes.
If there are dings or dents or major scratches I keep looking its not worth the risk and is a sign of abuse.
Right now I think the value in models is 2009-2012 where they still look new and have little use
If they can't spell the bike manufacturer or get the model number correct then they might clueless as to the value. Also some cant post a photo and its worth a followup email to see if you can get pictures as they wont get much interest and are liable to accept a low offer.
Some will list the dollar amount paid for their updgrades. I saw a $300 seat on an $800 bike the other day. I feel like asking the seller to keep the seat and sell the bike for $500. There can be a decent amount of value here..
Similar some will include a bunch of extras worth $300-400. Seriously. Some will include a pretty nice bike trainer and I saw a guy with shoes, bike clothes, helmet etc etc., also i saw a power meter crank
The two bikes I have bought on CL in the last year one was a specialized hybrid including a cateye, helmet, shimano road shoes, bike lock, clip on aero bars, and behind seat bracket all for $150 and he was a mile from my house. I wanted a bike to ride while camping and he was moving out of town and just kept offering me more stuff and then I said okay I'll take it all and he gave it to me for $150. The bike had a bad front brake which i fixed myself and also a worn out middle chain ring that i havent fixed yet I have this bike on a trainer right now. The second bike was for my daughter and I got her a fuji silhouette i think 2009 for $500. They were asking $600 and I got them to take $500. It was full carbon with ultegra and it had nubs on the tires as the women said she had put on new tires in the last year. That one I took to the bike shop for a once over cause my daughter was going to race on it and found out it was never serviced and had a worn chain and cassette. It also had seriously worn brake pads which would have been a sign of heavy use that I didnt pick up on. Anyway I am about $670 total into that one. So it was the one I learned from but its still a solid bike and decent value. I did buy my own tool to check the chain condition now and I know to check for brake pad, tire and chain ring and cassette wear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you,

That was very well written and observant. Subconsciously, I had been noticing many of the same things...but it was nice to read it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a great article. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a bike that I am trying to sell on Craiglist that doesn't fit your description but I might offer, not that anyone on here will buy my bike, but another pathway.

Older frame but with the upgrades showing someone wasn't a low user, but someone growing into triathlons. So, instead of having the same gear on it, it has upgraded gear, newer upgraded gear. And, pictures show that gear to be both very well maintained and in very good shape.

My bike I am selling is a 2004 frame, but every component on it is 2014 or newer. It has miles on it, but the drivetrain shows little wear and the chain measures at .4 on the chain checker.

And I personally would replace the tires on any used bike I buy. They could have a lot of miles, they could have sat for years unused which isn't good for them either as they can crack in places you can't see. Either way, I would get new tires.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Signs of a deal on Craigslist [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanrafaeltri wrote:
I have a bike that I am trying to sell on Craiglist that doesn't fit your description but I might offer, not that anyone on here will buy my bike, but another pathway.

Older frame but with the upgrades showing someone wasn't a low user, but someone growing into triathlons. So, instead of having the same gear on it, it has upgraded gear, newer upgraded gear. And, pictures show that gear to be both very well maintained and in very good shape.

My bike I am selling is a 2004 frame, but every component on it is 2014 or newer. It has miles on it, but the drivetrain shows little wear and the chain measures at .4 on the chain checker.

And I personally would replace the tires on any used bike I buy. They could have a lot of miles, they could have sat for years unused which isn't good for them either as they can crack in places you can't see. Either way, I would get new tires.

I should clarify that I wrote that post to identify how to buy a very lightly used bike at a great price, with money left for upgrades that improve performance. Highly upgraded used bikes usually indicate high use. At the end of the day people rarely ride a frame for 1/2 of its useful life so it may be in your head in shooting for a bike with less than 500 miles vs a bike with thousands of miles. I would jsut hate to buy a bike with 20-30000 miles on it.
Last edited by: endosch2: Jan 2, 18 5:13
Quote Reply