Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New to Tri - Winter Running Apparel
Quote | Reply
Hey guys and gals! I'm normally a cross country mountain bike racer and cyclocross racer that has decided to take on a couple of XTerras this year and I've got a running equipment question for you. What do you wear for pants/tights when running in cold weather? It's finally gotten cold enough in Colorado where I feel I really need something on my legs, but I don't know what is standard. At the moment, I'm rocking some awesome sweat pants, but they're pretty miserable to run in!

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: New to Tri - Winter Running Apparel [hammonjj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My favorite running tights for really cold weather are Pearl Izumi Ultra Wind Blocker. Not sure if they even make them anymore. But I've had good luck with the regular Pearl Izumi thermal tights as well. I have a pair of Salomon thermal tights also. They have been good as well.
Quote Reply
Re: New to Tri - Winter Running Apparel [stomponafrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stomponafrog wrote:
My favorite running tights for really cold weather are Pearl Izumi Ultra Wind Blocker. Not sure if they even make them anymore. But I've had good luck with the regular Pearl Izumi thermal tights as well. I have a pair of Salomon thermal tights also. They have been good as well.

This is an incredibly dumb question, but do you wear shorts over your tights or just the tights?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear shorts over my tights personally
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like 2xu's tights. I just use the regular ones, not the thermal, but I might pick up a pair of those. I don't wear shorts over them, but I'm also from a swimming background so I think I care less than most. Just a comfort level thing, either way works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would highly recommend a looser-fitting run pant that is not a 'tight', such as the Saucony Boston pant:

http://www.saucony.com/...el-pants&start=1

Or a Sporthill pant like this one:

http://www.sporthill.com/...unning-stirrup-pant/

I find these to be more comfortable and warmer to a normal tight, and a staple for any distance runner's wardrobe. Just wear some run briefs or short run shorts underneath and you will be all set! I have had some Sporthills for going on 15 years and they are still in great shape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a dumb question. Some people do and others don't. It's just a preference that's more about modesty than function. I usually don't wear shorts over the tights. However, if I'm doing a race that's at a church event (for sake of better example) i'll typically wear shorts.
Quote Reply
Re: New to Tri - Winter Running Apparel [stomponafrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There’s no such thing as a stupid question. Wearing shorts over running tights has actually been documented as being pointless in the running world. Honestly just think about it, what purpose would it serve?

Get a pair of windproof thermal tights and you should be good. They make these things for a reason, which is performance, comfort and range of motion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Dedicated thermal tights are key imo. Improves the motivation factor to go out and run for me. Ive tried a few lower-shelf brands but love a pair of "Mizuni Static Breath" thermals. They are just a smidge loose, and can take a chamois liner underneath, so they have served dual-purpose for cold riding too.
Quote Reply