Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running a 70mm riser stem on a Tri bike
Quote | Reply
Hello,

First of all just wanted to say that this is one of the best forums I've been ever been on. Super helpful advice all-around.

In trying to fit my slight oversized Planet X Tri bike (XL size), I am looking at either a 70mm 17 degree or 35 degree stem. Right now I am running a 110mm adjustable stem. I found a comfortable position with the stem at 35 degrees. However the 110mm stem length too long as I can't comfortably get my elbows at a 90 degree angle on the aero bar pad. I figured shortening the stem length by 4 cm will help with this.

Is a 70mm 17/35 degree stem too twitchy with tri bars or will it be ok if it makes for a better fit?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Running a 70mm riser stem on a Tri bike [gazoome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think you'll have any problem with the 70. I'm not sure you'll find a -35.

Ritchey does a Comp stem in a +30. It doesn't say you can't flip it. But it doesn't say you can' either. Special Comp comes in -12, -17, and -24. They come with shims that will add/subtract 4 degrees. So the -24 will get you to -28. Finally, Ritchey's adjustable comes in a 90. going to -35 may get you close to 70. I'm just too damn lazy to do the math.
Quote Reply
Re: Running a 70mm riser stem on a Tri bike [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually found a stem online that's 70mm long and 35 degrees. It's like 15 dollars. Let me know and I'll send you a link.

Still trying to figure out if 35/17 degrees is best based on spacers and position.

Anyway so 70mm stem length is not an issue on tri bars?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(Not a pro fitter, just opinionated)

Don’t see that you’ll have a problem with a 70mm stem. But remember it won’t be as high as a 110mm stem...

However, two things
1) there is no reason for your elbows to be at 90 degrees. Most people would have them more open

2) a short tall stem on an XL bike sounds like an unusual fit. Got any pictures of you on the bike? Warning, your fit will probably get torn to shreds :)
Quote Reply
Re: Running a 70mm riser stem on a Tri bike [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
2) a short tall stem on an XL bike sounds like an unusual fit. Got any pictures of you on the bike? Warning, your fit will probably get torn to shreds :)

I concur, post pics for general consensus before opting for a 70 super rise on your tri bike.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Dec 31, 17 6:53
Quote Reply
Re: Running a 70mm riser stem on a Tri bike [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
there is no reason for your elbows to be at 90 degrees. Most people would have them more open

+1.
Quote Reply