Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is this how it is supposed to be?
Quote | Reply
Bare with me but this will be one of those whining posts. I am somwhat new to triathlon and gone from sprint to 70.3 over the course of 3-4 years. 2018 it is time for my first full distance Ironman. However, I am not new to sport and have biked and run committed for many years.

Despite the best health and condition ever, these last 12 months have been a pure injury feast. 12 months ago I broke my right wrist and had cast for 6 weeks. 2 months later, a very mild ankle sprain. 2 months after that, start of a prolonged right knee issue (jumpers knee-ish) affecting bike and run. After 9 months of strength training and 3 different fysios still not at 100% (appears to be poor activation and glute strength on right side or?) and now I am lying here again with a more severe ankle sprain. Needless to say it is the same (right) foot.

Is this the way it is supposed to be? There does not seem to be an end to all injuries, despite cautios training and lots of strength training. Only comfort is that both broken wrist and sprained ankle is somewhat due to bad luck, but I wonder. Should I just get used to constant rehab or is there hope? There is no chance to get into great shape and do a full IM with constant rehab periods. Looking at strava everybody else seems to be doing great always...

For what its worth, I am 46, rather light weight (69kg) and train 10-12 hrs per week.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this how it is supposed to be? [Naughtfern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately I think at least some of your issues are age related. I have about 8 years on you, but I have found that since about 45-50 I am always rehabbing something. Your issues sound more like bad luck, but it just takes longer to heal and get back to normal.

You might try adding something like power-flow yoga to your routine. The all around strength and flexibility improvement seems to help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Bare with me..."

No thanks...

There is an element of luck w/regards to staying healthy and getting consistent injury free training. You seem to be of the mindset that weight training will help prevent injuries, but this is not necessarily the case. 10-12 hrs/week is not a lot if you are including "plenty of weight training".

A lot of people get into a cycle where they get injured, and then try to come back too quickly and then get re-injured again...they've always got some injury they are complaining about but when you look at their training they are all over the place with their training as a result of the injuries.

You don't tell us how you sprained the ankle, but perhaps there are footwear or activity choices you could improve on?

Good luck, everyone in this sport deals with injuries so you are definitely not alone. Being able to train consistently looks easy on strava but a lot goes into it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Injuries do come in waves, and take longer to recover from over age 40. Still, that's a lot of setbacks for a year. I too struggled with recurrent ankle sprains from basketball injuries; one possibility if you haven't tried it is using more minimalist-stack shoes, as it's much, much harder to roll your ankle with barefoot or super-low stack shoes, than compared to the huge platforms that a lot of motion control shoes come with.

Also, pay particular attention to your run mileage and speed buildups - the running is usually the source of most of the injuries that will set you back for weeks/months. Build up SLOW.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this how it is supposed to be? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you are right. Just started with some yoga and flexibility is certainly an area for improvement.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this how it is supposed to be? [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Realise I was a bit sloppy with details. 10 - 12 hrs is usually without strength work but lately is has been with due to the knee issue. I have played things safe (or so I thought) and recently started increasing mileage on bike and run to get up to 15 hrs.

In terms of shoes, I change shoes often but usually high drop (standard asics) as I used to have some achilles problems in the past. At todays sprain, it was Brooks ghost but sometimes I use hoka.

The sprain came from a "classic" inversive movement whilst running across a curb and changed direction slightly to avoid a cyclist. Now pain in the anterior talofibular ligament (which is the same place as earlier this year). At least this will force me to do some serious ankle/foot strengthening...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a wobble board to build more ankle strength.
Run somewhere that requires less dodging people :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Naughtfern wrote:
Realise I was a bit sloppy with details. 10 - 12 hrs is usually without strength work but lately is has been with due to the knee issue. I have played things safe (or so I thought) and recently started increasing mileage on bike and run to get up to 15 hrs.

In terms of shoes, I change shoes often but usually high drop (standard asics) as I used to have some achilles problems in the past. At todays sprain, it was Brooks ghost but sometimes I use hoka.

The sprain came from a "classic" inversive movement whilst running across a curb and changed direction slightly to avoid a cyclist. Now pain in the anterior talofibular ligament (which is the same place as earlier this year). At least this will force me to do some serious ankle/foot strengthening...

Here's my advice: TRAIN LIKE YOU DON'T HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE.

If you train like that, you will look before you leap, slow down, choose not to lift that much weight, if injured you back off sooner, you address things that bother you right away, brush and floss teeth more often, don't drink to excess, etc.

The key to consistency is health and health is the key to results.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As said. Luck is a factor.

I think most humans struggle with sports injuries because they were not active in childhood or took a break in their lives from fitness. Bodies need constant stimulation to be at their best. Sedentary years hurt our durability. We atrophy in ways that a visible and ways that are not.

Thus for folks joining the sport later in life I would recommend months to a year of strength and flexibility training before fully jumping in to strenuous activities like long distance running. Muscle mass will also help in the case of crashes and falls.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this how it is supposed to be? [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Here's my advice: TRAIN LIKE YOU DON'T HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE.

If you train like that, you will look before you leap, slow down, choose not to lift that much weight, if injured you back off sooner, you address things that bother you right away,
===========================================================
this seems to be on the right track. but, as others have said, sometimes bad years come, despite all efforts to prevent them. alas, i've found this applies to all areas of life.
peggy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yoga is how I managed to completely tear my hip labrum that was holding its own for years. (I'm 44, had my other labral tear repaired at 34).

Most likely you are doing things too fast, too erratically, and not fixing basic flaws in muscle imbalances/movement patters, leading to repetitive injuries.

Lightheir is spot on about the advice on gradually transitioning to lower stack shoes, when done right, this can be a life changer. Done wrong, it will give you Achilles tendon injury.

Gotta be consistent, and anything new you have to start up really, really slow.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply