Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

End of year swim 10,000m of modified IM swim report
Quote | Reply
Ok so I am not doing any racing for 2 years, in tri, so I don't get to write any race reports that are corroborated on sportstats....so you have to rely on my honesty on "reports" from my own self concocted swimming events.

Below is a summary from today's 10000m swim of modified "IM" (like not much back and breast....that comes next year, but a ton of fly).

Here is the rough report for today's swim:

In the last 2 days I did almost 10,000m after the Dec 25/26 forced shut down taper where I went out on my snowshoes. So since I have a business meeting on Dec 30th during pool hours and on Dec 31st I hope to meet up with some friends who are not swimmers who are running and XC skiing (I want to try to get out on skis and just use my arms mainly), I decided to joing SLOgoing on giving the 10K a go on Dec 29th. Scott Boyd who posted above along with his friend Greg joined. Scott was hung over from his brother's 50th birthday....probably being hung over before a 10K swim is not the best way to start (later in this report, you will read about Scott's dehydration issues, but he did break 3 hours doing all three strokes).

Setting out on the adventure

I decided that my plan should be to do butterfly for 25% of the swimming and add back and breast during my 400 legs.

so each kilometer looked like this

• 100m fly free free free
  • 200m 50 fly, 150 free
  • 400m 50 fly 25 back, 25 breast, 150 free, 50 fly, 100 free
  • 200m 50 fly, 150 free
  • 100m 25 fly,75 free

This was my plan for the first half. In the second half, I would reassess and maybe take out the second 50 fly during the 400m and just do free.

I figured that if I averaged 20 minutes with breaks, stops, nutrition and added 10 min of buffer, then 3:30 for the entire swim would be possible, without killing myself.

During the first half, what I decided to do on each wall push off was to get into a tight streamline and with light push try to emerge just past the flags and rest as much as possible moving no body parts. The down side to this is that you lose too much momentum. In any case I stuck with that.

I was departing each kilometer under 20 minutes total. I was not checking my times, in between, just went on a pace for all 4 strokes that I felt I could sustain and stay in a fat burning zone. I have done enough marathons, half IM's and 50K XC ski races to know how to pace anywhere past 2.5 hours up to 5 hours. Its all pretty well the same thing, but I have never swam longer than 2:14 in my life. That was during an 8K Lake swim this winter, where I bonked in the final 1K or so due to lack of nutrition.

In any case, for nutrition I had two bagels with peanut better and jam and coffee for breakfast. For the 10000m, I had one large bottle of gatorade with added salt, and another bottle with ramen noodles (you know, those noodles you get for 39 cents and add water), in which I added extra salt.

Starting at 300m, every so often I would take a sip of gatorade along with a sip of the noodles liquid. I left the actual noodle part for after 6000m.

For the first 6000m I was holding back on all strokes trying not to pull too hard and focused on streamline in all strokes. I thought about Mark Spitz talking about turning your body into a torpedo, so that was my focus for 6000m...and energy conservation.

Scott was doing 400s as 25 "stroke" and 75 free times 4 and then short break and next 400, 25 times, so we were out of sync and he is a faster swimmer than me at free and back. I think we are on par in breast, and I am faster at fly...in any case, a few times, I took a longer break at the wall so that my fly leg starting my next interval, I could draft his free and then hammer to hang on to his feet for free....typically that did not work because when I tried to draft him doing fly, I was scared I was overcooking myself.

In any case at 5000m, Scott was already at 5700m.

(as it turns out, never ate the bananas nor gels, so my 2+ years of gel free living is still alive)

By the time 6000m came around I popped the lid off my bottle with ramen noodles and that was like turbo fuel....I gradually ate my ramen noodles between 6000m and 9000m. The first time I ate them, I made the mistake of leaving a few chunks in my cheek....dumb dumb mistake, because now you're hammering fly and breathing so hard that air is going through your mouth like putting an F-18 in a windtunnel picking up ramen noodles and shoving them down your wind pipe....but somehow I survived. This wasa the high comedy point of the 'event'

I supposed the other comedy point of the event was when I was around 8500m and Scott was at 9400m or so and he was stopped dead in the middle of the pool like Christiano Renaldo having his worst soccer cramp. Not sure when Scott's "all 4 strokes" ended, but I know the fly disappeared out of the repertoire early. Breast and back dissappeared quite a while later and the use of his legs had already died some time before the FIFA world cup extreme cramping. Out came the pull buoy, but he was getting it done.

When I was some time past 5000m, I felt my legs were good and could assist more. So rather than the slack push off the wall, I started blasting the push and then went with 5 dolphin kicks....soon as my arms got heavier this turned to 7 kicks and sometimes even 10. I realized I had another "tool" in my kit and with all my dolphin kicking drills, I could actually save my arms a bit and at time found myself shooting out past 8m to 10m. Suddenly my arms were getting rest, and could hammer harder, and my legs that pretty well have infinite endurance were contributing more. Suddenly somewhere between 6000m and 7000m using my legs more and more especially off the wall, I felt my speed going up.

My check ins at each kilometer confirmed that departures were getting closer to 19 minutes than 20 minutes.

Once I got past 8000m I realized I was into uncharted territory in the longest swim of my life. That actually forced me to hold back "AGAIN" much like when I got past mile 125 of my first Ironman and I got scared I would blow, so I pulled back the pace. But I did not need to. By 9000m, I knew i would have plenty of juice to give the final kilometer. I basically did my last 800m like I was in an open 800m, not that I was going fast, I just paced it that way.

Final elapsed time was 3:13

2300m fly, 300 breast, 250 back, the rest free, one bottle of gatorade, 1 bottle with ramen noodles with extra salt.

No cramps.

Scott got done in 2:59 with cramps, more free, less fly, more back, I think more breast, and some pull buoy.

7500m into today, I crossed 1250 km of swimming for the year, so clearly the "work was done" for today.

Next year, I would like to do 2500m fly, 1250 back, 1250 breast, 5000m free. Can I do all that and break 3 hours? I don't know, but maybe that is the "A event" that I train for next year. I need to do a lot of work on my back stroke to get to the level that I can do that much and break 3 hours. My breast stroke is not that far from where it won't turn into a total liability.

Honestly, I don't know how you guys do 100x100m free and not lose your minds or lose count. Keeping track today was pretty easy...and not being a slave to the time clock other than checking it at each 1 km marker was nice.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Dec 29, 17 18:49
Quote Reply
Re: End of year swim 10,000m of modified IM swim report [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
VERY NICE, great report Dev!!! As far as how to keep track on 100 x 100, I've never actually done that exact workout but have done lots of long straight swims. I've always just checked the clock every 200, made a mental note of my time each 1000, and gone on like that. I've done 8000, 11,000, and 12,000 yd straight using that system, and numerous (as in 900-1000) 3000-6000 yd straight swims. I almost always descend my 1000s, i.e. each 1000 yd faster than the one before, and try to sprint the last 200.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: End of year swim 10,000m of modified IM swim report [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can see if you know your send off time and it is a nice round number like 1:20, 1:30, 1:45 or 2 minutes the math is super easy. But if your send off time is something like 1:40 or 1:50 it just becomes more trick to eyeball. Or you have a coach on deck keeping track for you and kicking your butt!
Quote Reply
Re: End of year swim 10,000m of modified IM swim report [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I can see if you know your send off time and it is a nice round number like 1:20, 1:30, 1:45 or 2 minutes the math is super easy. But if your send off time is something like 1:40 or 1:50 it just becomes more trick to eyeball. Or you have a coach on deck keeping track for you and kicking your butt!

I was aiming to hold each 200 at or under 3:00, so each 1000 at under 15:00, so ya, in my case it was fairly easy.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice report!

As far as counting 100x100, we did it a few ways, for redundancy

1) the clock. This year we did them on a 1:50 send off, so we knew that every 6th we'd be leaving on the top

2) had laminated sheets made up with a grease pencil to mark off repeats as they were completed

3) some guys did a pattern. Eg 5 swim 5 pull. I started off the first 20 doing the last length in IM order, then switched to all free as my lack of swim fitness caught up with me.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Solid.

I did 60x100lcm today, any more than that and i think i'd need some nutrition. I'll have a crack at the 100x100 some time next year when it's a little cooler, water temp was 28.3c which is a tad warm.
Last edited by: TriguyBlue: Dec 29, 17 21:39
Quote Reply
Re: End of year swim 10,000m of modified IM swim report [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not done a 100 x 100m, but we did a 50 x 100m at masters just before xmas on a 1:30 swim and rest. There were four of us in the lane, and myself and another swimmer of equal ability took turns at swimming lead for 5 x 100's. The other two just drafted behind the whole way as they would have struggled to hit the turnarounds. We knew therefore that when both of us had swapped once, that was a block of 10 x 100. Meant we only had to keep track of 5 x 100's at a time, and keep a cumulative score.

We also started at 13:00 on the digital clock poolside, so each lane knew how long it would take to hit the 50 x 100 at their given pace should we lose count.
Quote Reply
Re: End of year swim 10,000m of modified IM swim report [Ironmike78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can see how this system would work well as it allows you to turn off your brain for a half the time and just not have the responsiblity of counting. I kind of enjoyed doing it as modified IM though. If I look back at my year of swimming the only time I swim more than 200m of free in a row is the 500m during my warmup. If not I am doing all strokes every day and never continuous free anymore. The only exceptions were 5 lake swims I did this year (6K, 8K, 5K, 2K, 5K). I had no issue flipping to continuous freestyle with no wall push offs. That's the funny thing, when I used to be training for triathlon, I felt like swimming the other strokes was a waste of time and pushing off the wall and getting far down the lane streamlined and dolphin kicking was "cheating" and would have no applicability to open water. As it turns out thanks to Jason straightening me out, both have huge applicability to open water. During my 8K swim, I came through 3.8K in 58 minutes and was working a lot easier than if I was in an IM and the closest I did in an IM swim recently was 62 minutes "training specfically for triathlon swimming" (the words in italic bold should be read as "doing the wrong things in tri swim training for tri performance").

I am definitely intrigued to become better at breast and back stroke. I THINK I need a nose clip for the back stroke part....water coming into my nose interferes with enjoying more of this stroke.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to join but had to opt for the 5k straight free, was a good challenge pushing myself. Out of curiosity, if I could do a decent flip turn how much time could I knock off the 1:32:10 That it took me?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear you about the water up the nose part. I think I'm going to get some nose clips for practicing underwater dolphin on my back...burning noses are no fun.
Quote Reply
Re: End of year swim 10,000m of modified IM swim report [D.O.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know, maybe 2 seconds per 100m, so 1:30 to 1:40 over 5000m?

In my case I am forced to do open ended turns due to my disc issue. I am hoping in the new year to try getting into flip turns again. Let's see.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Dec 31, 17 5:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply and good luck getting your back to cooperate!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's awesome. Congrats :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

I am definitely intrigued to become better at breast and back stroke. I THINK I need a nose clip for the back stroke part....water coming into my nose interferes with enjoying more of this stroke.

Dev

Snort like a horse, Dev! That's what keeps the water out, even if it doesn't look or sound very elegant. And while dolphining underwater on your back, think instead about the positive air pressure (almost a small exhale) needed to keep water out of your nose while learning this skill.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: End of year swim 10,000m of modified IM swim report [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you doing meters, correct?
here we do yards, 100 x 100 on 1:40. Counting easy: top for every 3. you stop after 2h46m20". no pull no break. just plain boring. only distraction is watching others coming in and coming out, even hs team :)
Quote Reply
Re: End of year swim 10,000m of modified IM swim report [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Dev

Snort like a horse, Dev! That's what keeps the water out, even if it doesn't look or sound very elegant. And while dolphining underwater on your back, think instead about the positive air pressure (almost a small exhale) needed to keep water out of your nose while learning this skill.

OK thanks for the tips....will try that!
Quote Reply
Re: End of year swim 10,000m of modified IM swim report [Andre Bennatan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andre Bennatan wrote:
here we do yards, 100 x 100 on 1:40. Counting easy: top for every 3. you stop after 2h46m20". no pull no break. just plain boring. only distraction is watching others coming in and coming out, even hs team :)

1:40 for yards is 1:50 for meters, so every 6th is at the top, but multiples of 6 or multiples of 3 are still difficult to keep track of....I think th engineer in me counts in multiples of 10 or multiples of power of two.....anything else is just too difficult.

Also why do all you guys keep asking me if I am doing meters or yards?....CHECK THE THREAD TITLE. Sorry for picking on ya, but it's like the 25th time on a swim thread where someone asks me if I am doing meters or yards after I post that I am doing meters!!! I'm over in Canada, so most of our pools are in meters anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also why do all you guys keep asking me if I am doing meters or yards?.//

Ok now I'm confused, you are not doing yards, and when you say IM swim you are not talking about a 2.4 mile ironman swim? What the hell, next you gonna tell me that you are swimming short course meters too!! What about toys, how many implements are you using in these 10k swims? Lets get it all out there please so we can adhere to the actual rules of this thing..(-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice work Dev. I love reading about the adventures you’re thinking up.
Regarding the pace clock, 1:40 and 1:50 are as easy as 1:20 and 1:10. It’s just that the send off is going backward around the clock. For 1:50 it would be 60,50,40,30,20,10,60.

I got in with my team to do 100/100 on 1:40 LCM, but my left trapezius has been giving me problems the last week or so. I hoped to do 50 and wound up going longer. Ultimately, I got through two hours (7200) before I decided I’d be better off playing it safe.
Quote Reply
Re: End of year swim 10,000m of modified IM swim report [Trexlera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Regarding the pace clock, 1:40 and 1:50 are as easy as 1:20 and 1:10. It’s just that the send off is going backward around the clock. For 1:50 it would be 60,50,40,30,20,10,60.

I got in with my team to do 100/100 on 1:40 LCM, but my left trapezius has been giving me problems the last week or so. I hoped to do 50 and wound up going longer. Ultimately, I got through two hours (7200) before I decided I’d be better off playing it safe.

maths, maths, maths

hope the shoulder stops bugging you soon.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey no worries but if you notice, i was replying to mr halifax. as for you, i always thought you were in nice or somewhere over there. i better pay more attention
Quote Reply
Re: End of year swim 10,000m of modified IM swim report [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

maths, maths, maths

hope the shoulder stops bugging you soon.
Thanks. I’m currently dithering over whether I should sign up for the bridge swim.
Quote Reply
Re: End of year swim 10,000m of modified IM swim report [Andre Bennatan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andre Bennatan wrote:
hey no worries but if you notice, i was replying to mr halifax. as for you, i always thought you were in nice or somewhere over there. i better pay more attention

All good my friend! I should clarify even under meters that it is short course meters vs. long course meters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clearly going Andy Potts in regard to shaving down. Probably lost 3 seconds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andre Bennatan wrote:

Yup, SCM.

I think I overdid it, doing 50x100 after literally zero swimming in the last 6 weeks. Getting back into masters tonight I slightly tweaked something in my shoulder doing backstroke.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jan 2, 18 19:29
Quote Reply