Re: What's your favorite beer? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't want to spend the extra $1 for a six of bottles, in case it sucked

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favorite beer? [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know where it's distributed beyond San Diego but Benchmark's Blonde is like summer in a can. If you can find it then I recommend you try it. It's my go-to for a lazy Sunday afternoon in the backyard.

Mission's Blonde is good too, though it's more... buttery(?) than Benchmark's. What I mean by buttery is, it's more substantial. It just feels like it's a heavier beer, even though it's not heavy at all. (I lack the vocabulary to precisely describe what I mean, sorry.)

Also, Groundswell Brewing's White IPA is really good. But again, it's a small operation and I have no idea where it's distributed beyond San Diego.

Finally, Lattitude 33's Blood Orange IPA is quite good. I don't like fruity beers like the grapefruit and mango that started coming out maybe two, three years ago, but the flavors in that particular Blood Orange IPA just work. Again, I don't know where it's distributed but I've heard reports that it can be found in Los Angeles County (Long Beach to be precise).

For a more broadly distributed one, though, Ballast Point's Sculpin is my fallback whenever I feel like a substantial beer and there aren't more unique options on the menu.

Not that you asked, but hey, I'm on a roll: I don't buy Stone any longer. No real reason other than I like to support smaller places and Stone's "hit you over the head with hops" style in the beers I enjoy no longer meshes with my tastes. A German once asked a friend, "At what point does it just become hops-flavored beer?" He had a point...

War is god
Quote Reply

Prev Next