Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Power meter suggestion
Quote | Reply
I've decided to get a power meter after *mumblemumble* years and I'm not sure what one since there a lot of choices these days.

As far as what I need: I'd like to keep it $600 or less and I don't plan on moving it between bikes but I do swap wheels for when I do trainer rides. I have a 2011 Trek Speed Concept and a Garmin 920XT that it should work with.

Beyond that, I'm pretty lost with all the options available both new and used. Any advice would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter suggestion [Socket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You probably want a spider- or crank based system; I'd say power2max will probably have something in your price range.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can buy a used SRM for that budget and never have any issues, 2000hrs of battery life, when you do send it in its 2 weeks from your door and back max.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter suggestion [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2nd on the power2max, you can get the new NG eco for $500-600. Or get the 4iiii powermeter if your using shimano, cost less than the stages and much more durable form what I've heard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Powertap has their C1 chainrings on sale for $350. I find it hard to beat that if it fits your application.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter suggestion [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are you seeing Powertap C1s for $350?

Deceptively slow.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter suggestion [Speckled Hen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the Powertap website.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd get a 4iii left crankarm powermeter. Then in the future, you can simply pay the upgrade price and get left/right power if you find you are using power in a serious way.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter suggestion [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sold! Sure, it might be discontinued but it should do the job 🚴
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter suggestion [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:
I'd get a 4iii left crankarm powermeter. Then in the future, you can simply pay the upgrade price and get left/right power if you find you are using power in a serious way.

The word serious and 4iii (and stages too for that matter) do not go together. All the powermeters that glue onto crankarms are imprecise as hell.

For crank power I'd recommend power2go NGeco if on a budget, otherwise classic NG or quarq or SRM.
Last edited by: Dilbert: Dec 30, 17 13:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quarq has a nice aluminum crank option that will simply need a new bottom bracket for your speed concept. Often you can find these at 10-20% off at different online retailers. Purchase a GXP bottom bracket crank then the conversion BB kit. Quarq has exceptional customer service and the product has gained significant stability over the years.

The other option is the powertap C1 chainrings assuming you have a compatible crank, here is their compatibility chart.

Power2max is another option but you have to ensure proper BB compatibility. I am not familiar with their products enough to make a suggestion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got a set of lightly used Vector 2 power pedals for $600USD. Can't fault them and they're super easy to use even though they're my first set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Factory reconditioned P1's are also $629.95 atm
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter suggestion [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second the used SRM as the way to go. Rock solid units. Used they still work. I’ve had 2 used ones over the years. I’ve had one for 10 years now and the thing just works under all conditions. I don’t think I’ve ever lost data or had to fiddle with the set up / connection since it’s gone wireless

The battery thing every two years might sound like a hassle but I’ve never found it to be.
Quote Reply