Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HR Lies, or 'Help The New Guy Figure Out What Just Happened' (Undoubtedly a series)
Quote | Reply
Hey guys (and gals, obviously),

So, in the spirit of my introduction and the 80 days until my first sprint, I figured I might as well get to training. My thought process was - ok, I don't have a specific 'limited swimming sprint triathlon plan for moderately athletic dads' plan, but running often and biking a lot seems like a good idea. So, on my lunch break I walked over to the gym and did the following:

Chest.
Then I ran.

Applying KISS principles, as you see. More specifically I did a lot of heavy weight/low rep chest movements and immediately went to a treadmill. Initial plan was to run at a steady pace for 20 mins to see how much it killed me. But, I pivoted and went for 30 instead. My question arises about heart rate and what it means. Here's some data:

3 mins @ 4.1 (mph) - HR 153
9 mins @ 4.1 - HR 178
14 mins @ 4.5 - HR 135
24 mins @ 4.5 - HR 99
30 mins (finish) @ 4.5 - 165
32 mins (cool down) @ 2.0 - 130
35 mins (done) @ 2.0 - 120

Now, a couple of things, here. One, at no point in this run was I 'out of breath.' I'm not sure how to translate it into RPE speak, but I was able to breathe through my nose the whole time (and as an aside, my sniffer is horrible). Two, the HR monitor I was using was questionable - I had to rely on the grips attached to the treadmill. Worth noting that the only time the effort was really difficult was maintaining some running form while holding the damn things.

So, it looks like my heart rate spiked at the very beginning (because my body was all, 'Where's the bear?!') then I got into a groove and it got a lot easier, but then towards the end of my run I may have started to get into my upper limit. It didn't FEEL that way - I felt like I could have run all day at that [incredibly slow] pace. But, I just want to make sure that I'm understanding what I'm seeing. If what I experienced is normal, just looking for that confirmation. Or, is it likely that the HR numbers are just off?

All feedback welcome, as usual.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: HR Lies, or 'Help The New Guy Figure Out What Just Happened' (Undoubtedly a series) [m_hoop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The hr numbers are completely wrong, ignore those.

m_hoop wrote:
Hey guys (and gals, obviously),

So, in the spirit of my introduction and the 80 days until my first sprint, I figured I might as well get to training. My thought process was - ok, I don't have a specific 'limited swimming sprint triathlon plan for moderately athletic dads' plan, but running often and biking a lot seems like a good idea. So, on my lunch break I walked over to the gym and did the following:

Chest.
Then I ran.

Applying KISS principles, as you see. More specifically I did a lot of heavy weight/low rep chest movements and immediately went to a treadmill. Initial plan was to run at a steady pace for 20 mins to see how much it killed me. But, I pivoted and went for 30 instead. My question arises about heart rate and what it means. Here's some data:

3 mins @ 4.1 (mph) - HR 153
9 mins @ 4.1 - HR 178
14 mins @ 4.5 - HR 135
24 mins @ 4.5 - HR 99
30 mins (finish) @ 4.5 - 165
32 mins (cool down) @ 2.0 - 130
35 mins (done) @ 2.0 - 120

Now, a couple of things, here. One, at no point in this run was I 'out of breath.' I'm not sure how to translate it into RPE speak, but I was able to breathe through my nose the whole time (and as an aside, my sniffer is horrible). Two, the HR monitor I was using was questionable - I had to rely on the grips attached to the treadmill. Worth noting that the only time the effort was really difficult was maintaining some running form while holding the damn things.

So, it looks like my heart rate spiked at the very beginning (because my body was all, 'Where's the bear?!') then I got into a groove and it got a lot easier, but then towards the end of my run I may have started to get into my upper limit. It didn't FEEL that way - I felt like I could have run all day at that [incredibly slow] pace. But, I just want to make sure that I'm understanding what I'm seeing. If what I experienced is normal, just looking for that confirmation. Or, is it likely that the HR numbers are just off?

All feedback welcome, as usual.

Thanks.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: HR Lies, or 'Help The New Guy Figure Out What Just Happened' (Undoubtedly a series) [m_hoop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
those HR readings are completely bogus. ignore them and get a good HR monitor (chest strap) and try again.
Quote Reply
Re: HR Lies, or 'Help The New Guy Figure Out What Just Happened' (Undoubtedly a series) [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was my thought as well. The 99 really threw me.

Can anyone shed a little light on WHY those are wrong? Like I said, I felt really good and didn't really hit the wall or huff and puff during the run. But, not sure what that means the numbers should have looked like or what the trend line should have been.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because they don't correlate with effort at all. They should increase with effort and, to a lesser extent, time.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it should have gone up very quickly in the first few minutes. then either leveled off at a constant effort or slightly increased over a constant effort. As you increased effort it should have gone up again then either leveled off at that effort or again slightly increased as you became more fatigued. Once you started cooling down is should drop down considerably.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never find the treadmill HR's very accurate. Some treadmill are better than others though. I know some can easily get into cadence lock and be completely useless. That could be what you are seeing with your higher HR readings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello m_hoop and All,

As noted could be HR reading error.

On the other hand ... how much have you been running?

Was this a first effort after a long lay off?

How old are you?

When did you last have an exercise ECG?

4 miles per hour, if accurate, is 15 min miles .... were you race walking or jogging?

That speed is right on the cusp of being able to fast walk it .... or jog it ..... and the energy requirements are usually more for walking.

Perhaps repeat the exercise with a different HR monitor ....

It is also useful to note how long it takes for you HR to return to normal.

Good luck with your training program ... keep after it.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: HR Lies, or 'Help The New Guy Figure Out What Just Happened' (Undoubtedly a series) [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can walk a 12:30 mile, so around 15 minutes per mile should definitely be a walk.
Quote Reply
Re: HR Lies, or 'Help The New Guy Figure Out What Just Happened' (Undoubtedly a series) [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going to make this comment earlier but I dont do anything on the treadmill between 3.5 and 4.5. Its either I am walking to regulate my heart rate at 3.0 to 3.5 range or I am jogging at 4.8 or little higher than that. For me, walking fast around 4.0 is dangerous on a treadmill and running at 4.6 or less is not natural. The other thing is that I always do my cardio before my weights. Do people really start heavy lifting from a resting heart rate? I always warm up with 5-15 minutes of something but right now I go 30 to 40 on the Treadmill and then hit the weights.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

You say you did this at the gym. Could there have been some type of electrical interference?

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow... Day 1 of season one and you're already futzing with data?
I think you've found your sport!
Quote Reply