Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

NFL Playoff Teams
Quote | Reply
This bit of trivia showed up in the weekly Bing Predicts article.

"Some of the most storied NFL franchises will not be fighting for a playoff berth in Week 17. According to NFL media research group, NFL Research, this year marks the first time the Dallas Cowboys, Washington Redskins, Green Bay Packers, New York Giants, and San Francisco 49ers will have missed the postseason since 1964. Those five teams have won a combined 21 Super Bowls."

Of course, we'll still have the Patriots and Steelers this year. (Eleven Super Bowl wins between them.)

But I remember 1964 mostly because the Buffalo Bills won the AFL championship that year. The Boston Patriots finished behind them in the AFL East that year. The Steelers were still in the NFL, vs the AFL, and they really sucked back then. (They were in the middle of a 25-year streak of missing the playoffs.) There's still hope for Bills fans!

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Playoff Teams [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're really close to have QB transitions that will affect teams for decades. In the next 5 years Brady, Roethlisberger , Brees, Rogers, Flaco, Smith, Rivers and Manning will all be gone. Between them there are over 10 Superbowl victories. I am looking forward to having some new blood show up at the big games. BTW at least the Bills have been to the big game. My Lions only came close once, losing to the eventual SB winners Washington. How's that for a legacy?

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Niners, Cowboys and Redskins haven't won a SB since the mid 90's. I see no tragic loss with them not being in the playoffs. The only striking team out of the list would be GB but that's easily explainable with A a ron being hurt.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Playoff Teams [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
The Niners, Cowboys and Redskins haven't won a SB since the mid 90's. I see no tragic loss with them not being in the playoffs. The only striking team out of the list would be GB but that's easily explainable with A a ron being hurt.
I'd probably add San Fran to your list with GB, certainly they've had garbage stretches but they've been to four NFCCG in the past 20 years including three straight not too long ago. But the Cowboy's amazingly haven't been to an NFCCG since 1995, the 'Skins since 1991. Other than the poor Lions, those two teams have the longest NFCCG droughts going and every other NFC team has been to at least 2 championship games since they were last there.

That said, it is striking that so many of the historic NFL powers will all miss the playoffs in one season. And really, besides Pittsburgh and NE the more recent dominant teams have fallen on hard times too; Indy, Denver, and Houston are a mess, GB will miss the playoffs, and one of Atlanta or Seattle are out. Those are some of the stronger franchises of the past decade or so that are either on their ass or had a rough year while some upstart and/or surprising teams like Minnesota, LA Rams, Philly and Jax are emerging.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its gonna be Rams vs Chargers, freeway super bowl!! Probably get some pretty long odds on that match up right now, but once playoff time starts anything can and will happen. I will never forget calling to pay off my bets when it was 28-3 late in the game last year, about a 1.6% chance of winning. Of course they could not have figured in Brady into those stats, probably was 3% with him.....
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Playoff Teams [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Its gonna be Rams vs Chargers, freeway super bowl!! Probably get some pretty long odds on that match up right now, but once playoff time starts anything can and will happen. I will never forget calling to pay off my bets when it was 28-3 late in the game last year, about a 1.6% chance of winning. Of course they could not have figured in Brady into those stats, probably was 3% with him.....

Conversely, by the end of the third quarter, I had already spent most of my Falcons' SB winnings last year. =(

Quote Reply
Re: NFL Playoff Teams [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

except it's in Minn :) go Rams in that case.
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Playoff Teams [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
My Lions only came close once, losing to the eventual SB winners Washington.

No they did not come close that year. Wasnt the score like 42 - 0. It was a blow out the Lions were a LOOOOONNNGG way from the super bowl that year.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Playoff Teams [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not much in the way of "Super Bowl winners" pedigree among the remaining teams not from New England/Pittsburg.

Ravens (if they get into the playoffs) - 2 Super Bowl wins
Chiefs - 1 win (Who remembers 1970?)
Jaguars - zero wins
Bills, Titans, and Chargers (at least one of them will get into the playoffs) - zero wins

Saints and Rams - 1 win
Seahawks (if they get into the playoffs) - 1 win
Vikings, Eagles, and Panthers - zero wins
Falcons (if they get into the playoffs) - zero wins

Could be an interesting matchup in the Super Bowl.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Playoff Teams [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
My Lions only came close once, losing to the eventual SB winners Washington.

No they did not come close that year. Wasnt the score like 42 - 0. It was a blow out the Lions were a LOOOOONNNGG way from the super bowl that year.

Funny, but I remember this game being close until half-time but the final score, 42-10, may show my memory was wrong. I do remember (I think?) that Jerry Ball, the Lion's nose-guard, got hurt a week or two earlier on a cut block and was out for the game.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as AB is back and healthy Pit gets theIr 7th. That said. It’s hard that bet against the patriots and refs. Those extra players really help the pats.
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Playoff Teams [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
We're really close to have QB transitions that will affect teams for decades. In the next 5 years Brady, Roethlisberger , Brees, Rogers, Flaco, Smith, Rivers and Manning will all be gone. Between them there are over 10 Superbowl victories. I am looking forward to having some new blood show up at the big games.

Four quarterbacks left, and only Brady still playing of the ones you named. In addition there is Foles, Keenum, and Bortles.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply