Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Suggestions for races that are fully embraced by the community [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
Having thousands of emaciated, spandex-clad weekend warriors gallivanting throughout a community for a weekend is understandably a huge headache for the local residents; however, what races are known for having the local community embrace the event with open arms instead of throwing thumb tacks on the bike course?

I absolutely love this question and thanks for posting it. I learned a bunch by reading this thread.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for races that are fully embraced by the community [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's been mentioned in the thread already but IM Wales is a cracking event and is really embraced (on the whole) by the local community.

It seems like everyone from Tenby is out for the start of the race...

The bike is pretty lumpy with around 9,000 ft ascent but with support like this it's phenomenal...

Here's a short video that shows it off well -

I'm onto my next challenge now but if you want a well supported IM then you won't go wrong with this one!
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for races that are fully embraced by the community [t1mmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on IM Wales.

Bastard of a race, but fantastic support;
(a) 1km transition through the town which is fantastic for 8am on a Sunday morning
(b) brilliant support at most locations on the bike, especially Saundersfoot hill (where the photos in the post above were taken)
(c) 4 loops running past the pubs in the old town as people get more and more "enthusiastic" after a long day drinking...
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for races that are fully embraced by the community [dah5609] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since there were only a few state side submissions I figured I would add my $.02. I was really impressed with how supportive and welcoming the city of Cambridge, Maryland was for Ironman Maryland. Granted my experience may of been unique, but before, during, and after the race everyone was extremely supportive and offered to help in anyway they could. The highlight of our trip was a couple buying my wife and I's breakfast after we chatted with them for a while and kept saying how they when the triathletes are in town for both Eagleman and Ironman Maryland. I will say, I think Gerry Boyle has a lot to do with this as he is incredibly engage with the community and athletes in general.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply

Prev Next