Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

British Economy Set to Overtake French Economy by 2020
Quote | Reply
Rule, Britannia! ;-)

Looks like a Buoyant British economy is set to power past France by 2020.

"Britain's economy is now predicted to overtake France's in 2020 as experts admitted they had been too gloomy over Brexit.

The Centre for Economics and Business Research (CEBR) had claimed the economy would slow down because of a drop in consumer spending and investment.

But last night the think-tank admitted it had got this wrong, saying: 'In practice this has not happened.'

Its economists accepted the fears they expressed last year that Brexit would leave the UK behind the French economy for five years were exaggerated."

Couple of things:

1. This is the Daily Mail we're talking about here. To me, it's kind of like the Fox News website of the UK, just with more bikini-clad celebrities on the sidebar. It's a news source, of course (and man, can they get news out quickly), but it's sometimes not a "news news" source.

2. Good deal for the Brits if true! Maybe the big business/finance folks there have factored Brexit into their long-term planning now and are looking for where opportunities for improvement lie. (Though I hear ex-PM Tony Blair admits he's doing everything he can to reverse Brexit and keep the UK in the European Union).

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: British Economy Set to Overtake French Economy by 2020 [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would Britain ever want to jump back in with the EU...I bet its a net positive for them over time.
Last edited by: blueraider_mike: Dec 28, 17 6:04
Quote Reply
Re: British Economy Set to Overtake French Economy by 2020 [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueraider_mike wrote:
Why would Britain ever want to jump back in with the EU...I bet its a net positive for them over time.

I think one of the phrases often repeated in Europe (and there are still plenty of Brits who maintain they're not, in fact, "European") is "Ever-closer union," or words to that effect. Labour definitely wants a Brexit rescission if it can be pulled off (and probably much of the Tory elite), so does most of the mainstream media (BBC, the Guardian and the like), and polls there show a majority of the Millennial mob is mad for the EU.

But British PM Theresa May -- who was in favor of remaining in the EU but who also, since the vote result last year, now says "Brexit means Brexit" -- seems to be slowly but steadily working towards exit from the European Union, and maybe folks in Britain have just finally accepted that it's a done deal and are now just trying to line up the best outcome for themselves and their businesses (and British culture and society) they can?Your guess is as good as mine.

Quote Reply
Re: British Economy Set to Overtake French Economy by 2020 [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) i am British and Irish and consider myself european - something may who voted leave do not

2) if it had stayed as a free trade area we'd almost certainly still be in but adding the free movement of people and the expanding role of the commission, parliament and ecj and brits would vote out

3) we should maintain visa free travel for leisure but there is no guarantee

4) the problem for Britain is the stopping of free movement of goods and services. Even if we get a fta. To date no euro fta includes services and 80% of UK is services

5) the city of London will remain important as a financial center

6) no firm will move financial services from London to Paris for tax reasons...........

I am a bit ambivalent about it. I live in france though for how long remains to be seen...........for tax reasons

I think the best outcome would be a free trade agreement covering goods and services , a UK visa system allowing qualified workers and visa free travel. I suspect thats a bit of a pipe dream

That said the EU has bigger problems. France is bankrupt. Hungary and Poland could give zero fucks about the EU commission which is going to be a big problem in the coming years.

The basic problem for the EU is that 26 of the 27 Nations are not quite german enough...... which should be scary in and of itself
Quote Reply
Re: British Economy Set to Overtake French Economy by 2020 [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
1) i am British and Irish and consider myself european - something may who voted leave do not

2) if it had stayed as a free trade area we'd almost certainly still be in but adding the free movement of people and the expanding role of the commission, parliament and ecj and brits would vote out

3) we should maintain visa free travel for leisure but there is no guarantee

4) the problem for Britain is the stopping of free movement of goods and services. Even if we get a fta. To date no euro fta includes services and 80% of UK is services

5) the city of London will remain important as a financial center

6) no firm will move financial services from London to Paris for tax reasons...........

I am a bit ambivalent about it. I live in france though for how long remains to be seen...........for tax reasons

I think the best outcome would be a free trade agreement covering goods and services , a UK visa system allowing qualified workers and visa free travel. I suspect thats a bit of a pipe dream

That said the EU has bigger problems. France is bankrupt. Hungary and Poland could give zero fucks about the EU commission which is going to be a big problem in the coming years.

The basic problem for the EU is that 26 of the 27 Nations are not quite german enough...... which should be scary in and of itself

You just taught me more about the issues revolving around Brexit than I've learned in two years of reading the British news websites over there. Thanks a lot! :-)

Quote Reply
Re: British Economy Set to Overtake French Economy by 2020 [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couple of things bout that CEBR report.

First, it predicts we will jump over France, but also (less widely reported) be jumped over by India. We’ll end up in the same place overall, at least until 2023 when Brazil will push us back down a spot.

Secondly, the Leave movement was famously populist, which led one of its leading proponents to say pre-Brexit “I think we’ve all had enough of experts”. Leavers who hated predictions that the UK economy would suffer post Brexit are now happy to lap up predictions by the same outfit as to what the economy will do now.
Quote Reply
Re: British Economy Set to Overtake French Economy by 2020 [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg66 wrote:
Couple of things bout that CEBR report.

First, it predicts we will jump over France, but also (less widely reported) be jumped over by India. We’ll end up in the same place overall, at least until 2023 when Brazil will push us back down a spot.

Secondly, the Leave movement was famously populist, which led one of its leading proponents to say pre-Brexit “I think we’ve all had enough of experts”. Leavers who hated predictions that the UK economy would suffer post Brexit are now happy to lap up predictions by the same outfit as to what the economy will do now.

I gathered that CEBR kind of has egg on its face over the whole thing. Predictive analytics-wise, we often see the same thing over here.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The city will remain an important banker for Europe. Does anyone seriously think either france or Greece are viable alternatives?

Macron wants the German economy underwriting french public sector. He wants an eu wide finance ministry.

Think about that we have a fiat currency but no central government.

They now want an eu finance minister.........the obvious next step is an eu wide income tax, if not immediately then in the future

All countries courts are subjugated to the ecj

I am not naive, we have no where near the bargaining power brexiteers believe we have and no one wants to really cut a free trade deal with the UK. What are we going to buy? Chlorinated chickens?

We can't become a Singapore on the edge of the EU because we'd immediately move on to a tariff and inspection scheme and there are somethinf like 800 trucks of automotive parts crossing the channel daily. That will fuck the JIT supply chain.

I suspect we will get the shitty end of the stick but eastern Europe is the real concern. They are treating the UK like the black death but then they have Hungary, Poland and Ukraine who have much bigger social issues and there is nothing that upsets the EU liberals more than human rights issues
Quote Reply
Re: British Economy Set to Overtake French Economy by 2020 [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fuck Michael Gove that bespectacled goofy looking twat

I think I'd take JC over him or the other there village idiots.......
Quote Reply
Re: British Economy Set to Overtake French Economy by 2020 [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:

I just love the way Brits swear. I really do. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:

I just love the way Brits swear. I really do. :-)

That had everything except cunt. It needed a good cunt thrown in. Cunt. ;)

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: British Economy Set to Overtake French Economy by 2020 [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love that word but my wife says I have to stop calling her it......

Joke.....maybe

I did use it this morning though (not at my wife) I find it very effectively expresses my mood
Last edited by: Andrewmc: Dec 28, 17 8:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:

Joke.....maybe

I did use it this morning though (not at my wife) I find it very effectively expresses my mood

My wife despises that word. But I get around that by pronouncing it differently. "SOO-int," instead of the correct pronunciation. Whenever I say it, my wife asks me what it means and I just say, "Oh, it's Greek for idiot." Works every time. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:

Joke.....maybe

IKEA wasn't that bad.
Quote Reply
Re: British Economy Set to Overtake French Economy by 2020 [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No it was some twat driving a Citroen with padded sides drifting across two lanes as I flipped him off...........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:

To join in the sweary fun: He might be a ignorant spunkbubble but at least he's clear about where he's at. JC and the Labour fucksticks are trying to play to both sides rather than staking a clear policy on Brexit.

I do get the feeling JC, being a lifelong rebel and unreconstructed communist, wouldn't know what the fuck to do if he actually got power. A bit like Brown really. Maybe his mate Chavez gave him a little book of sayings to help before to shuffled off this mortal coil

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: British Economy Set to Overtake French Economy by 2020 [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed

Though I really though by now even yvette and chucka etc would have stood apart but it turns out the lure of power...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Agreed

Though I really though by now even yvette and chucka etc would have stood apart but it turns out the lure of power...

Yep, I had great hopes for them. They at least appeared to have some integrity to go with their intelligence.

Strange times indeed

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mutti, Mutti...what hath you wrought? ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Started long before her and people like martin schulz, juncker, that parochial little village mayor ski instructor barnier and verhofsted are every but as culpable and draghi is a c##t!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since I work more on the academic side of things rather than financials that is the side of the matter I am more familiar with. That community is more concerned about the 10-20 year look as the top students in the EU stop going to the top universities in the UK and staying to work. Similar arguments against the tougher immigration rules in the US.

Plus there are all the big scientific and infrastructure projects that the EU can afford but the UK can’t do on their own. The UK had sizable parts in the Galileo and Copernicus projects and they are going to get shut out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Mutti, Mutti...what hath you wrought? ;-)

German Hillary! Man, did we dodge a bullet...and sniper fire too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Started long before her and people like martin schulz, juncker, that parochial little village mayor ski instructor barnier and verhofsted are every but as culpable and draghi is a c##t!

Agreed. Especially about Draghi. What a soo-int. ;-)

And wasn't Schulz trying to push some sort of "United States of Europe" thing? Looks like YouGov polling is showing not much enthusiasm for that (though -- SURPRISE! -- the Germans were the most enthusiastic (but only at 30%, followed by the French at 28%, the UK was way down, at 10% for)).

Quote Reply