Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Heh, Facebook is Dropping its #FakeNews Flags Because They Attract More Interest
Quote | Reply
A complete loss of credibility does have its consequences, doesn't it? ;-)

"Facebook announced that it will no longer use "Disputed Flags" -- red flags next to fake news articles -- to identify fake news for users. Instead it will use related articles to give people more context about a story.

Why it's happening: The tech giant is doing this in response to academic research it conducted that shows the flags don't work, and they often have the reverse effect of making people want to click even more. Related articles give people more context about what's fake or not, according to Facebook."

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Heh, Facebook is Dropping its #FakeNews Flags Because They Attract More Interest [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:

What credibility? It's Facebook, not a news outlet.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Heh, Facebook is Dropping its #FakeNews Flags Because They Attract More Interest [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So Fauxbook was losing revenue due to honesty, colour me shocked!
Quote Reply
Re: Heh, Facebook is Dropping its #FakeNews Flags Because They Attract More Interest [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

What credibility? It's Facebook, not a news outlet.

You and I and most other denizens here know that, but FB tried over the years to play itself off as some sort of purveyor of "real" news. I just think it's humorous that the very #FakeNews flags were attracting even more attention to those links and posts than was the case before they began flagging them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven’t heard anything about credibility issues, but the way Facebook was flagging fake news was to run it by journalists. They have a pool of journalists from places such as “truth meter” who review suspect posts and produce referenced credibility reviews.
Quote Reply
Re: Heh, Facebook is Dropping its #FakeNews Flags Because They Attract More Interest [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
I haven’t heard anything about credibility issues, but the way Facebook was flagging fake news was to run it by journalists. They have a pool of journalists from places such as “truth meter” who review suspect posts and produce referenced credibility reviews.

As if that wouldn't get abused at some point.
Quote Reply
Re: Heh, Facebook is Dropping its #FakeNews Flags Because They Attract More Interest [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
torrey wrote:

As if that wouldn't get abused at some point.

Been a journalist (a very low-paid, part-time, work-when-I-could-get-it journalist, to be honest ;-). Journalists are awesome, completely trustworthy and non-ideological/non-partisan and are of the finest sort, you plebeian.

(Hey; should that last sentence have had an Oxford comma in it? I can never tell. ;-)

Quote Reply