Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Buying a house that needs work. [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Asbestos was at least a constituent part of concrete for external drains.

Internally we look for where any extension meets the existing house for movement. My current house has had a mobster crack BUT the extension is 20 years old. Expansion joints here were not standard. The temp differential over the seasons is high - up to 45c - so many things may have contributed but there are no signs of any movement either side or in the rest of the property so once it settled it can be fixed.

Damp - mold in bathrooms or north facing rooms that get condensation and poor ventilation in winter

Rotten wood - sills, frames, doors, shutters

The only thing I am generally concerned about is structural. Asbestos inspections are standard for us.

As most of my architectural friends have said when I have been concerned about structural issues. Buildings don't generally fall down ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a house that needs work. [pvolb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pvolb wrote:
Just saw this, Skip. Have you thought about just building a new place rather than fixing that one up? Coincidentally, we just moved to Bluffton on 12/27 for a job I just started and are/were looking at homes in a little cheaper price range than the home you posted. After looking around for a few weeks, we decided to build rather than deal with issues on a home even just 10 years old. There are plenty of extremely nice neighborhoods being put up at your price point where you could just customize from the start.
Cool welcome to the area, where are you building? Construction is hot right now, Bluffton is growing super fast. We had the house we are in now built, only been in it for 3 years. I wouldn't mind building again but the wife isn't sold on the idea, it took 12 months to build the house we are in now. I enjoyed the process though. It was cool to help design everything starting from the architect to working with the builder. Let me know if you have any questions about the area, I've lived here for almost 20 years.
Last edited by: SkipG: Dec 31, 17 10:36
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a house that needs work. [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkipG wrote:
pvolb wrote:
Just saw this, Skip. Have you thought about just building a new place rather than fixing that one up? Coincidentally, we just moved to Bluffton on 12/27 for a job I just started and are/were looking at homes in a little cheaper price range than the home you posted. After looking around for a few weeks, we decided to build rather than deal with issues on a home even just 10 years old. There are plenty of extremely nice neighborhoods being put up at your price point where you could just customize from the start.
Cool welcome to the area, where are you building? Construction is hot right now, Bluffton is growing super fast. We had the house we are in now built, only been in it for 3 years. I wouldn't mind building again but the wife isn't sold on the idea, it took 12 months to build the house we are in now. I enjoyed the process though. It was cool to help design everything starting from the architect to working with the builder. Let me know if you have any questions about the area, I've lived here for almost 20 years.

We’re building in Shell Hall. We actually bought the last available lot. The company I work for is headquartered in Buckwalter Place, so it’s about a half mile from there - I won’t be real thrilled if construction takes out to a year. You’re not kidding about the speed of growth - my parents used to own a place on the island and I’ve been coming this way for 25 years - I remember very well when 278 was essentially just a few golf courses prior to getting on the island itself, not so much the case now.
Quote Reply

Prev Next