Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road Bike - Touring Conversion
Quote | Reply
I hope its better to post here, rather than on the triathlon forum...as this is not triathlon related.

My wife and I would like to start doing some touring on road bikes (bike pack style but not off-road requiring the use of MTBs). I currently have a 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.5 (Link embedded with specs and dimensions. The bike has been pretty great and utilitarian. I know I can get a lot more out of this bike as I extend its life by turning it into something that it wasn't intended for. I feel I have this luxury as I also own TT and MTBs.

I plan to put a tent and all other essentials on my bike leaving my body mostly free and clear...maybe a small pack. I will also be clipping on some aero bars so that I can vary my body position over longer rides. How long are we looking to ride? anything from 150 miles to 1000 miles over a long weekend or a two week period, depending on what we can swing.

Unfortunately, I need to ask you for your help. I am pretty darn handy...but I don't have anyone local that is will to teach me much about modifying my bike and the local bike shops just seem too busy to show me how to do the work myself (Yes, I realize it is not in their interest to show me how to do the work as I would only be paying them to show me once instead of many times.)

What I need help with is as follow:

• How much tire can this bike handle? What will my clearance allow, and how much play do I have with the brake calipers? I didn't see anything about tire clearance on the specs I was able to track down online.
  • What gear have you used for touring and what would you recommend as high quality and or essential. (This could be anything: Tires, Tubes, Lights, Tents, Foods, Hydration, etc.)
  • If you have been touring, perhaps specifically in the NE USA, is there a route that you enjoyed? (We would love to do something like a winery touring bed and breakfast style adventure.)

Budget constraints are not really an issue for us. I mean, we are not going to drop $10,000 on gear and want to be smart, but if something has proved to be a real value for you we are not going to say no to the item if it makes sense.

Because this is such a big as, specifically on the technical side of what items and tires will fit, I want to say thank you in advance for any replies.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike - Touring Conversion [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bicycled around the World on a Koga Miyata World Traveller, made for touring. They make the bikes in Holland and it comes ready to go with racks and everything on the bike. For touring in the U.S you don’t need a designated touring bike but they are far better for touring, it’s just not the same on a road bike.

You really want Tubus racks, Brooks seat, and strong wheels to handle the weight, nothing worse than equipment that breaks down while touring.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike - Touring Conversion [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think we are years away from needed serious touring bikes. I would like to use what we have and get as much out of the items as possible. That being said, we do not mind the idea of downsizing our lives...as we have been doing for a few years now. Too many possessions.

The reason w are a few years away is that we have small children that we cannot leave for long periods of time...though, I would love to tour the world.

Thank you for the advice on the racks!

PS/Edit: I do have to ask. Do you think this bike wouldn't hold up on a....cross state ride? Say Philadelphia to Pittsburgh.
Last edited by: LifeTri: Dec 26, 17 22:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered using a trailer? This might relieve some of the stress issues from the bike. I used to tote the kids around in a trailer using my road bike with little ill affects to the behavior of the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike - Touring Conversion [TooSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TooSlow wrote:
Have you considered using a trailer? This might relieve some of the stress issues from the bike. I used to tote the kids around in a trailer using my road bike with little ill affects to the behavior of the bike.

Amen to the trailer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does bike have rack mounts?

What size tires are on there now, is there some spacing. Ideally use 28c tires

Yes you can do some light touring on that bike. Friends of mine in 1973 did cross country tour on Raleigh International racing bike with std campy equipment and tubular tires....

Another option, why not put smooth tires and crank up your MTB, this will handle your hills weighted down. Bar ends to add some hand variety. This would be my choice, there are even racks that just hang off seatpost
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
I hope its better to post here, rather than on the triathlon forum...as this is not triathlon related.

My wife and I would like to start doing some touring on road bikes (bike pack style but not off-road requiring the use of MTBs). I currently have a 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.5 (Link embedded with specs and dimensions. The bike has been pretty great and utilitarian. I know I can get a lot more out of this bike as I extend its life by turning it into something that it wasn't intended for. I feel I have this luxury as I also own TT and MTBs.

I plan to put a tent and all other essentials on my bike leaving my body mostly free and clear...maybe a small pack. I will also be clipping on some aero bars so that I can vary my body position over longer rides. How long are we looking to ride? anything from 150 miles to 1000 miles over a long weekend or a two week period, depending on what we can swing.

Unfortunately, I need to ask you for your help. I am pretty darn handy...but I don't have anyone local that is will to teach me much about modifying my bike and the local bike shops just seem too busy to show me how to do the work myself (Yes, I realize it is not in their interest to show me how to do the work as I would only be paying them to show me once instead of many times.)

What I need help with is as follow:

• How much tire can this bike handle? What will my clearance allow, and how much play do I have with the brake calipers? I didn't see anything about tire clearance on the specs I was able to track down online.
  • What gear have you used for touring and what would you recommend as high quality and or essential. (This could be anything: Tires, Tubes, Lights, Tents, Foods, Hydration, etc.)
  • If you have been touring, perhaps specifically in the NE USA, is there a route that you enjoyed? (We would love to do something like a winery touring bed and breakfast style adventure.)

Budget constraints are not really an issue for us. I mean, we are not going to drop $10,000 on gear and want to be smart, but if something has proved to be a real value for you we are not going to say no to the item if it makes sense.

Because this is such a big as, specifically on the technical side of what items and tires will fit, I want to say thank you in advance for any replies.

Matt

Since you are talking bike packing and not touring your bike will be fine as long as you keep it light. I did a couple of light fast overnights last year on a Specialized Allez Sprint with no issues.

Tires- I can't believe your local shop is too busy to eyeball what tires will fit in your frame. I'm guessing 26 will fit but 28s might. Get as wide as will fit.

Gear- Get good bags, I use a mix of Revelate designs with some Salsa stuff mixed in. Tons of good bags out there and with bags cheap is cheap. Most large pieces will be over $100 with small stuff being $50-$80. Check out "path less pedaled" on you tube for reviews of most major makers. I would start with a tailbag and some sort of handlebar harness or bag. What else you need will be determined by what you decide to carry. You will most likely end up with a half frame bag and a top tube bag of some sort but may not need both.

Tent, sleeping bags, sleeping pad. If you are going the Bed and Breakfast route you need none of this, if not pay attention to both weight and packed size. Hammocks win this category if you can sleep in them, I can't. A hammock is your tent, needs no poles packs small and negates the need for a sleeping pad.

Remember that for this, anything you can NOT take with you will increase your enjoyment of the ride.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply