Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hmmmpf! Companies Are Using Facebook to Exclude Older Workers From Job Ads
Quote | Reply
Apparently, dozens of companies -- including Amazon, Verizon, UPS and Facebook itself -- use Facebook to exclude older workers from job ads. "It's blatantly unlawful," said one employment law expert.

Many companies run job ads on Facebook, mostly because there are hundreds of millions of people who check the social media site daily (disclosure; I used to be on Facebook but left it entirely some time ago). A good example of how the employment discrimination gag works can be found in a recent Verizon ad on FB:

"A few weeks ago, Verizon placed an ad on Facebook to recruit applicants for a unit focused on financial planning and analysis. The ad showed a smiling, millennial-aged woman seated at a computer and promised that new hires could look forward to a rewarding career in which they would be “more than just a number.”

Some relevant numbers were not immediately evident. The promotion was set to run on the Facebook feeds of users 25 to 36 years old who lived in the nation’s capital, or had recently visited there, and had demonstrated an interest in finance. For a vast majority of the hundreds of millions of people who check Facebook every day, the ad did not exist."

Here's the ad:

"Verizon is among dozens of the nation's leading employers — including Amazon, Goldman Sachs, Target and Facebook itself — that placed recruitment ads limited to particular age groups, an investigation by ProPublica and The New York Times has found.

The ability of advertisers to deliver their message to the precise audience most likely to respond is the cornerstone of Facebook’s business model. But using the system to expose job opportunities only to certain age groups has raised concerns about fairness to older workers.

Several experts questioned whether the practice is in keeping with the federal Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, which prohibits bias against people 40 or older in hiring or employment. Many jurisdictions make it a crime to “aid” or “abet” age discrimination, a provision that could apply to companies like Facebook that distribute job ads."

https://www.propublica.org/...rimination-targeting

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Last edited by: big kahuna: Dec 24, 17 6:24
Quote Reply
Re: Hmmmpf! Companies Are Using Facebook to Exclude Older Workers From Job Ads [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So?

If I don’t want to hire old people then I’m not going to hire old people. So why waste money advertising a job opening to people I’m not going to hire?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Hmmmpf! Companies Are Using Facebook to Exclude Older Workers From Job Ads [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
So?

If I don’t want to hire old people then I’m not going to hire old people. So why waste money advertising a job opening to people I’m not going to hire?

It's possible age discrimination, which is illegal. Employers can set parameters and requirements for applicants, but absent being able to show that "old people" (at what age do job applicants officially become "old people?") wouldn't be able to handle the physical or emotional aspects of the job being advertised, employers generally can't discriminate on the basis of age. I'm not sure that Verizon would be able to demonstrate an exception to the rule based on the financial services jobs it was advertising for.

Quote Reply
Re: Hmmmpf! Companies Are Using Facebook to Exclude Older Workers From Job Ads [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I disagree with the law.

I should be able to associate with and hire whoever I want for any reason.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Hmmmpf! Companies Are Using Facebook to Exclude Older Workers From Job Ads [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
I disagree with the law.

That’s nice, but that ship has long since sailed. Welcome to the United States of America.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
I disagree with the law.

I feel you, buddy. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
I disagree with the law.

Then much like your argument for the second amendment, you should work to change it. But you still have to follow it.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya , The Seatbelts have been told in round about ways that we were too old to play at some clubs. I get it.. What the fuck ya gonna do? I could start a Polka band.timeless.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who wants to work for a company that doesn't want experienced employees? Most young 'uns are too dumb to know how dumb they really are.
Quote Reply
Re: Hmmmpf! Companies Are Using Facebook to Exclude Older Workers From Job Ads [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So somebody that is blind shouldn't be hired as a taxi driver?
Quote Reply
Re: Hmmmpf! Companies Are Using Facebook to Exclude Older Workers From Job Ads [mustangchef] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mustangchef wrote:
Ya , The Seatbelts have been told in round about ways that we were too old to play at some clubs. I get it.. What the fuck ya gonna do? I could start a Polka band.timeless.

Or have some of the guys buy a bottle of Grecian Formula. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Hmmmpf! Companies Are Using Facebook to Exclude Older Workers From Job Ads [triathlete37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triathlete37 wrote:

Under the law, employers must make "reasonable accommodations" for those who are disabled or "differently-abled." The taxi driver position would, by necessity, require at least correctable vision, using eyeglasses or contacts or the like. If an applicant was blind there would be no reasonable accommodation possible, though the company could consider other positions where blindness could be accommodated, such as dispatcher or scheduler perhaps, or other similar work.

Age discrimination is a fact of life in business and industry. Anyone who's 50 or older who's tried to shop a resume around invariably finds that out. It becomes much more difficult to gain employment in some industries, though the service and similar industries seem to have no problem with hiring applicants who are age 50-plus. My airline services company certainly doesn't. We have many men and women in their 50, 60s and even several who are in their early 70s (they're usually there to work solely to obtain the health insurance plans we offer for employees and their families, at cost to them).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the use of "your" for "you're" a display of incompetence by people who write these things for a living or is it an attempt to speak the language of millennials who spend all their time online and don't know the difference?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
I disagree with the law.

As someone who's 58 and may be looking for a new or different way of earning a living soon I actually agree with this, while it would suck to lose a job because of age I do believe company's should have the right to hire who they please
Quote Reply
Re: Hmmmpf! Companies Are Using Facebook to Exclude Older Workers From Job Ads [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
Is the use of "your" for "you're" a display of incompetence by people who write these things for a living or is it an attempt to speak the language of millennials who spend all their time online and don't know the difference?

Yes! ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Hmmmpf! Companies Are Using Facebook to Exclude Older Workers From Job Ads [triathlete37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triathlete37 wrote:

Huh?

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triathlete37 wrote:

Age on its own doesn't carry a skills limitation, quite the opposite in fact.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:

Yes! ;-)

Fourteen posts for someone to notice "stupid is as stupid does". I am happy to be nearing retirement and not having to look for another job.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Apparently, dozens of companies -- including Amazon, Verizon, UPS and Facebook itself -- use Facebook to exclude older workers from job ads. "It's blatantly unlawful," said one employment law expert.

Many companies run job ads on Facebook, mostly because there are hundreds of millions of people who check the social media site daily (disclosure; I used to be on Facebook but left it entirely some time ago). A good example of how the employment discrimination gag works can be found in a recent Verizon ad on FB:

"A few weeks ago, Verizon placed an ad on Facebook to recruit applicants for a unit focused on financial planning and analysis. The ad showed a smiling, millennial-aged woman seated at a computer and promised that new hires could look forward to a rewarding career in which they would be “more than just a number.”

Some relevant numbers were not immediately evident. The promotion was set to run on the Facebook feeds of users 25 to 36 years old who lived in the nation’s capital, or had recently visited there, and had demonstrated an interest in finance. For a vast majority of the hundreds of millions of people who check Facebook every day, the ad did not exist."

Here's the ad:

"Verizon is among dozens of the nation's leading employers — including Amazon, Goldman Sachs, Target and Facebook itself — that placed recruitment ads limited to particular age groups, an investigation by ProPublica and The New York Times has found.

The ability of advertisers to deliver their message to the precise audience most likely to respond is the cornerstone of Facebook’s business model. But using the system to expose job opportunities only to certain age groups has raised concerns about fairness to older workers.

Several experts questioned whether the practice is in keeping with the federal Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, which prohibits bias against people 40 or older in hiring or employment. Many jurisdictions make it a crime to “aid” or “abet” age discrimination, a provision that could apply to companies like Facebook that distribute job ads."

So if they advertised in print media, which only old geezers read, would it be illegal due to discrimination against young folks?

Clearly it should be.

Any job opportunity that’s not personally delivered to every job seeker should be illegal. Hmmph.

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Re: Hmmmpf! Companies Are Using Facebook to Exclude Older Workers From Job Ads [stal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stal wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Here's the ad:

So if they advertised in print media, which only old geezers read, would it be illegal due to discrimination against young folks?

Clearly it should be.

Any job opportunity that’s not personally delivered to every job seeker should be illegal. Hmmph.

Not the same thing at all. Any millenial that reads the magazine would see the add. With facebook targeting, they are purposefully excluding many groups that do in fact use Facebook.
Quote Reply
Re: Hmmmpf! Companies Are Using Facebook to Exclude Older Workers From Job Ads [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given Facebook's record lately, it wouldn't be surprising if they've actively excluded other portions of a demographic.
Quote Reply
Re: Hmmmpf! Companies Are Using Facebook to Exclude Older Workers From Job Ads [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:
stal wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Here's the ad:

Clearly it should be.

Not the same thing at all. Any millenial that reads the magazine would see the add. With facebook targeting, they are purposefully excluding many groups that do in fact use Facebook.

Actually, it's the exact same thing. Anything that unproportionally affects a group of people....is racist. Or ageist in this case.

Take a look at the Center for American Progress website on racial disparities in policing. It will explain it to you. Get woke man.

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Re: Hmmmpf! Companies Are Using Facebook to Exclude Older Workers From Job Ads [stal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, it's not the same thing. Not even close. The unwillingness to use print media is a choice of a demographic on it's own accord, Facebook OTOH is deciding which people see the advertisements.
Quote Reply
Re: Hmmmpf! Companies Are Using Facebook to Exclude Older Workers From Job Ads [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
No, it's not the same thing. Not even close. The unwillingness to use print media is a choice of a demographic on it's own accord, Facebook OTOH is deciding which people see the advertisements.

Actually it is the idiots at Verizon that decided. They chose the demographics they wanted to see the ad. They could have just as easily selected income level, geographic location, gender, or any number of other options that Facebook allows for ad targeting. That is what makes the incompetence shocking: A large company's HR department, a primary job of which is to prevent the company from getting sued for shit like this, would be stupid enough to select the age of people who will see its job listing so they are not view by a protected class.
Quote Reply
Re: Hmmmpf! Companies Are Using Facebook to Exclude Older Workers From Job Ads [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My bad thanks for pointing that out. In a way Facebook is complicit inasmuch as they allowed the option to even exist.
Quote Reply