Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Commandant of the Marine Corps: "There's a War Coming"
Quote | Reply
I sincerely hope not. But if one does come we'll win it (however we're defining "win" these days).

"The commandant of the Marine Corps, Gen. Robert Neller, told troops Thursday that “there’s a war coming” and urged them to be prepared.

“I hope I’m wrong, but there’s a war coming,” Neller told Marines stationed in Norway, during a visit there, according to Military.com. “You’re in a fight here, an informational fight, a political fight, by your presence,” he added.

The commandant pointed to Russia and the Pacific theater as the next major areas of conflict, predicting a “big-ass fight” in the future.

“Just remember why you’re here,” he said. “They’re watching. Just like you watch them, they watch you. We’ve got 300 Marines up here; we could go from 300 to 3,000 overnight. We could raise the bar.”

Neller’s visit comes amid tensions between Russia and NATO allies. Russia warned neighboring Norway that the presence of American troops could hurt relations, after Norway decision to host a new unit of U.S. soldiers through the end of 2018."

So, either that guy in the White House is Vladimir Putin's bee-yotch or he's steering us toward war with Putin and Russia. It can't be both.

That is, unless he and his sugar daddy Vlad have cooked up a diabolical scheme to justify the hundreds of billions each country wants to spend on national defense in the coming years... ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Last edited by: big kahuna: Dec 23, 17 11:03
Quote Reply
Re: Commandant of the Marine Corps: "There's a War Coming" [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, well, just wait until they start stealing oranges. Unripe oranges!
Quote Reply
Re: Commandant of the Marine Corps: "There's a War Coming" [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coming? We've always been at war with Eurasia. We were at war with Eastasia and probably will be again at some point. This guy needs to keep up.

Our populace does not want a serious war. Our populace is not ready for a serious war. Hell, I'm not ready for a serious war. I think we are too far removed from one to really understand what it would be like. A war with Russia or China , heaven forbid both, is unfathomable at this point.
Quote Reply
Re: Commandant of the Marine Corps: "There's a War Coming" [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Coming? We've always been at war with Eurasia. We were at war with Eastasia and probably will be again at some point. This guy needs to keep up.

Our populace does not want a serious war. Our populace is not ready for a serious war. Hell, I'm not ready for a serious war. I think we are too far removed from one to really understand what it would be like. A war with Russia or China , heaven forbid both, is unfathomable at this point.

They're called "near peer rivals" in the military. War with either of them would be, in the words of the Commandant, a "big-ass fight." Like you, I shudder to think of how that would play out.

Quote Reply
Re: Commandant of the Marine Corps: "There's a War Coming" [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
Yea, well, just wait until they start stealing oranges. Unripe oranges!

I'm staying away from that thread, buddy. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Long ago, before your time, we had a similar situation dubbed "The Cold War".

Long story short Rocky Balboa won!

Shortly after many defense companies disappeared as did the jobs. War is an economic engine in and of itself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WAR IS PEACE
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope they don't raise taxes in order to pay for it.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Commandant of the Marine Corps: "There's a War Coming" [LuckyLo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuckyLo wrote:
Long ago, before your time, we had a similar situation dubbed "The Cold War".

Long story short Rocky Balboa won!

Shortly after many defense companies disappeared as did the jobs. War is an economic engine in and of itself.

"Before my time?" I served during the Cold War and even did my part as an officer to bring down the Evil Empire, starting with the Berlin Wall in 1989. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigK, A big thank you for your service! I caught a glimpse of your memoirs in the Unfit Navy thread.

I have two nephews that recently enlisted in the Marines and they are itching to prove themselves however this plays out.
Quote Reply
Re: Commandant of the Marine Corps: "There's a War Coming" [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our populace does not want a serious war.

The voice of the populace is drowned out by the military complex that needs a war to justify their existence. And as long as it's framed in the right way by using key words like freedom, terrorism, Islamo-fascism and MAGA, everyone will go along.
Quote Reply
Re: Commandant of the Marine Corps: "There's a War Coming" [LuckyLo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuckyLo wrote:
BigK, A big thank you for your service! I caught a glimpse of your memoirs in the Unfit Navy thread.

I have two nephews that recently enlisted in the Marines and they are itching to prove themselves however this plays out.

So we have this gung ho General and your two nephews that are just itching for the world to have a war. Personally I would prefer peace as would most people on the planet.
Quote Reply
Re: Commandant of the Marine Corps: "There's a War Coming" [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
LuckyLo wrote:

So we have this gung ho General and your two nephews that are just itching for the world to have a war. Personally I would prefer peace as would most people on the planet.

I've said it before: war is the natural state of humankind. People of course want peace. Right up until they think they can win a war and take something that they really want or need. Oil. Gold and other riches. Natural resources. Land ("living room"). You name it.

If it got down to the short strokes, and a people absolutely had to have something and had the means to take, they'd take it, whether the people they're taking it from want to hand it over or not.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
LuckyLo wrote:

I've said it before: war is the natural state of humankind. People of course want peace. Right up until they think they can win a war and take something that they really want or need. Oil. Gold and other riches. Natural resources. Land ("living room"). You name it.

If it got down to the short strokes, and a people absolutely had to have something and had the means to take, they'd take it, whether the people they're taking it from want to hand it over or not.

How very Christian ;)

Glad I am an atheist.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
LuckyLo wrote:

There is a certain % of the population that actually wants to believe this. They are often held up as the men who win wars. But in reality they are the same assholes that start them in the first place.
Quote Reply
Re: Commandant of the Marine Corps: "There's a War Coming" [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
LuckyLo wrote:

How very Christian ;)

Glad I am an atheist.

Well, plenty of atheists have started wars, and Communism -- which is officially atheist -- has been responsible for the deaths of hundreds of millions. From my experience, atheists are no better or worse than any religionist when it comes to the whole war thing. They sometimes just have different explanations for why they commit war, is all.

I've been in war and been shot at without result, which is exhilarating beyond belief (not getting shot, I mean). I don't want to see any war ever again, that's for sure. And I don't think the CMC (Commandant of the Marine Corps, that "gung ho general") does, either. But he'd be a fool if he didn't give an honest breakdown to his Marines and ensure the Corps that he's in charge of is ready for war if, at the order of his civilian masters, he has to have the Corps go to the guns, suddenly and with great force.

There's a fine line between being prepared for war, and being excessively aggressive and warlike. Sometimes we succeed in staying on the right side of that line and sometimes we fail. I pray every night that we don't fail and that we manage to stay on the right side of that line.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think the 'gung ho' general wants a war either but it's still his job to make sure that the Corps is ready for and isn't this kind of talk part of it?
Quote Reply
Re: Commandant of the Marine Corps: "There's a War Coming" [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
LuckyLo wrote:

How very Christian ;)

Glad I am an atheist.

That has nothing to do with religion or lack there of, it's human nature. Think what the world would be like if the kim jung ill's of the world didn't have to worry about countries like the USA, to keep him in check.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: Commandant of the Marine Corps: "There's a War Coming" [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
I don't think the 'gung ho' general wants a war either but it's still his job to make sure that the Corps is ready for and isn't this kind of talk part of it?

Yes it is.

Quote Reply
Re: Commandant of the Marine Corps: "There's a War Coming" [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Think what the world would be like if the kim jung ill's of the world didn't have to worry about countries like the USA, to keep him in check.

As far as I can tell, North Korea hasn't done a lot against the world. He's tested some missiles, not a lot different than most countries on earth. He's made some threats, not a lot different than a lot of leaders today. They haven't attacked any country since the Korean War, have never started a war and never gone to war to give other people freedom.

Maybe the threat of North Korea is just a crazy guy blowing hot air. The world has a few of those right now too.

Quote Reply
Re: Commandant of the Marine Corps: "There's a War Coming" [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Think what the world would be like if the kim jung ill's of the world didn't have to worry about countries like the USA, to keep him in check.

As far as I can tell, North Korea hasn't done a lot against the world. He's tested some missiles, not a lot different than most countries on earth. He's made some threats, not a lot different than a lot of leaders today. They haven't attacked any country since the Korean War, have never started a war and never gone to war to give other people freedom.

Maybe the threat of North Korea is just a crazy guy blowing hot air. The world has a few of those right now too.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: Commandant of the Marine Corps: "There's a War Coming" [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

A nation's defense posture is usually predicated on other countries' -- including potential adversaries as well as friendly nations and allies -- capabilities and intentions. If a country is a potential adversary, as North Korea is (we've fought a war against them and have only signed an armistice, not a peace agreement, with them), and that country has the intention to do you harm -- and part of how you judge that is through statements they make against you and your allies -- as well as the capability to do so (such as possessing weapons of mass destruction and the means to deploy those weapons) -- then you would be foolish not to have a robust war plan in place, and the willingness to act on that plan, in case things begin to go sideways. You also need to make sure your potential adversary knows what you're prepared to do, if only as a deterrent.

Firing a ballistic missile over the United States, even if it isn't nuclear-tipped at that point, would be a direct provocation and would likely result in a shooting war. Here's to hoping North Korea's continuing provocations in that arena don't end in them foolishly firing an ICBM over any part of the United States, including Hawaii and Alaska. That would be a fatal error on their part.

Quote Reply