Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cracked floor tiles in shower
Quote | Reply
Our shower has a crack running across the floor of the shower. Came up during inspection. I can't remember if we debated it with the seller but I know it was discussed. Basically was told it's probably been that way for decades. Well now it's leaking into the dinning room. Merry fucking Christmas to me. Looking at the water spot I can see it's been patched in the past so I'm pissed that was never disclosed.

It looks like the crack in the shower was grouted. Some of the grout looks gone and around the drain also looks like what ever was there is gone. I had planed on grouting and silicone caulk around drain. Someone mentioned caulking the crack instead of grout which I am leaning toward. Looking on internet today I saw mention of epoxy on crack.

My plan as of now is scrape out old grout and use silicone on the crack and drain. Renovating that bath at this point is not in the budget unless when I open the ceiling to dry it's worse and or more leaks. Unless anyone has a better suggestion or epoxy is better ?

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Cracked floor tiles in shower [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a bummer. I hate to tell you this, but tile and grout are not waterproof. In fact, if the shower pan was done correctly, you could theoretically not even have any tile on the shower floor. No matter what you do with the grout and tile, you still have a problem with the waterproof membrane in/on/around the shower pan. There are many ways to make it waterproof, but unfortunately for you, all involve removing the tile floor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No idea on what to do but I'd look over the inspection report and see if there's any recourse there. Did the inspector run the shower and check for any water damage/leak in the dining room, knowing there was the crack? They may not have been as thorough as they should have been and I'd at least look into whether there's any recourse there, that inspection is your only way of knowing if any of these 'gotcha' things exist in the house. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I woke up one day and found a puddle on my bedroom floor. I thought one of the dogs had an accident.

8k later, we now have a new bathroom.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Re: Cracked floor tiles in shower [North] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
North wrote:
That's a bummer. I hate to tell you this, but tile and grout are not waterproof. In fact, if the shower pan was done correctly, you could theoretically not even have any tile on the shower floor. No matter what you do with the grout and tile, you still have a problem with the waterproof membrane in/on/around the shower pan. There are many ways to make it waterproof, but unfortunately for you, all involve removing the tile floor.

This, more or less.

Grouting, caulking, epoxy, etc are all bandaid solutions. They may work temporarily until whatever you fill the gap with cracks again or flakes away but you're more then likely just kicking the can down the road.

North is right: to really fix the issue, you need to redo the membrane under the floor tile.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Cracked floor tiles in shower [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
No idea on what to do but I'd look over the inspection report and see if there's any recourse there. Did the inspector run the shower and check for any water damage/leak in the dining room, knowing there was the crack? They may not have been as thorough as they should have been and I'd at least look into whether there's any recourse there, that inspection is your only way of knowing if any of these 'gotcha' things exist in the house. Good luck!

The crack in the shower is in the inspection. Nothing about a leak. I painted the dining and didn't notice the patch job. It wasn't until I got up close to it that I noticed it had been repaired. There's a spot in or bedroom ceiling I noticed was repaired when I painted that room. My guess there was water from clogged gutter. What bothers me about both was I do not remember any mention of leaks in the house. I've found at least two so far. It's been a year and a half since we bought the place so not sure I could or would go back and do anything.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Cracked floor tiles in shower [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
North wrote:

This, more or less.

Grouting, caulking, epoxy, etc are all bandaid solutions. They may work temporarily until whatever you fill the gap with cracks again or flakes away but you're more then likely just kicking the can down the road.

North is right: to really fix the issue, you need to redo the membrane under the floor tile.

I'm not sure what's under there. My guess from talking with other in the neighborhood is it's a bed of concrete packed in between the joists. I have seen that in at least one other house in the area. You can see the concrete (or cement not sure which it's called) when you take the drain cover off. It's not a small job which is why I guess I'm looking for a band aid for now. Probably why it was never fixed in the past.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
North wrote:

This, more or less.

I'm not sure what's under there. My guess from talking with other in the neighborhood is it's a bed of concrete packed in between the joists. I have seen that in at least one other house in the area. You can see the concrete (or cement not sure which it's called) when you take the drain cover off. It's not a small job which is why I guess I'm looking for a band aid for now. Probably why it was never fixed in the past.

"Wet bed".

We had a pipe leak in our 2nd floor bathroom a few years ago (got to love coming home from a night out and finding it's raining in the center hall). We took advantage of the fact the plumber needed to basically tear the whole floor up, and the insurance payout for the damage, to just get the whole bathroom remodeled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
North wrote:

This, more or less.

It's probably a sand and cement base. But there should be a one piece water proof membrane under that which ties in to the drain and wraps a foot up the shower walls (or over the curb wall, if the side wall is glass) essentially making a water tight tub in the shower bed. Grout will crack, and cement is porous and doesn't hold water. There has to be something else there.

I'd probably opt for caulking over grout for now, never tried or heard of the epoxy solution.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
It's probably a sand and cement base. But there should be a one piece water proof membrane under that which ties in to the drain and wraps a foot up the shower walls (or over the curb wall, if the side wall is glass) essentially making a water tight tub in the shower bed.
Leaking showers are such a problem here in Oz that a new standard has recently been released that requires a water proof membrane under the sand/cement screed, the screed must then be sloped with the current fall to the waste , and then another membrane over the top of the screed, and then tile.

And yes, the only permanent solution is to rip up the shower base and start again...
Quote Reply
Re: Cracked floor tiles in shower [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew69 wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
It's probably a sand and cement base. But there should be a one piece water proof membrane under that which ties in to the drain and wraps a foot up the shower walls (or over the curb wall, if the side wall is glass) essentially making a water tight tub in the shower bed.
Leaking showers are such a problem here in Oz that a new standard has recently been released that requires a water proof membrane under the sand/cement screed, the screed must then be sloped with the current fall to the waste , and then another membrane over the top of the screed, and then tile.

And yes, the only permanent solution is to rip up the shower base and start again...

That's interesting. We just have the one membrane under the cement base. My tile guy does roll on this gelatenous rubberized product that is water proof, over the sand and cement base, for good measure. He puts two coats on, then tiles over that. Been tiling 30 years and never had a call back for a leaky shower.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive had two callbacks in 25 years. Both membranes were done by others when I was too busy to do it myself (same house, clients were not impressed to have two leaking showers!). Learn learned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Home Depot books and youtube videos are your friend. Educate yourself and DIY. There is a waterproof layer under the tile, which has been punctured and is leaking. Grout or caulk is like wondering if a band-aid will solve your chest pains.

Google 'schluter pan' or 'kerdi shower pan'. These are pre-sloped waterproof shower pan kits that are ready to accept tile. Go to any good tile store and the guy at the contractor desk will be happy to show you how these systems work and answer your questions.

Buy a demo hammer and remember to wear eye protection. Congratulations on your new honey-do project.
Quote Reply
Re: Cracked floor tiles in shower [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a feeling we will be doing a full renovation on bathroom when the time comes. This project I’ll be leaving to the pros. I just don’t have the free time.

Quote Reply