Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is this supplement stuff BS? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
It’s always amazing to me that GNC even exists.

Quote Reply
Re: Is this supplement stuff BS? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally BS.

Raised by hippies there are a few herbal remedys that have been tested and proven by the medical field. All of these ingestables aren't regulated at all and you don't know what's in them.

I had used lab door.com to check the accuracy of the ingredients just to make sure it was what I'm paying for.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this supplement stuff BS? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
You name it, I tried it, and that goes back to that horrendous-tasting Carboplex stuff that was around in the 80s and early 90s. Creatine? Loads of it (got cramps in my calves, and not much improvement in my running speed ;-).
Figured some extra muscle mass wouldn't hurt in triathlon, so I tried a supplement with creatine. Couldn't swim 500 yards without getting a cramp in one or both calves. Stopped taking creatine and that was the end of those cramps.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this supplement stuff BS? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
JSA wrote:
racin_rusty wrote:
Yup, if we're eating a proper diet we're getting all of the nutrients we need. There's also a reason why I call Holistic medicine holisticide. A good number of people have died due to holistic stupidity.

Therein lies the rub - most of us are not. I certainly am not.

Truth is you don't have to eat anything near "proper" diet to get the basic vitamins and minerals you need. Even if it is lacking, there is little to no evidence that a supplement will effectively replace what your diet lacks.

It looks like we need a definition for supplement. Because, you now, an apple a day...
Quote Reply
Re: Is this supplement stuff BS? [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
You name it, I tried it, and that goes back to that horrendous-tasting Carboplex stuff that was around in the 80s and early 90s. Creatine? Loads of it (got cramps in my calves, and not much improvement in my running speed ;-).
Figured some extra muscle mass wouldn't hurt in triathlon, so I tried a supplement with creatine. Couldn't swim 500 yards without getting a cramp in one or both calves. Stopped taking creatine and that was the end of those cramps.

You need to drink a lot of water with creatine.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Covered wagon medicine show
Take you to the place where the healing flows
Weak in spirit we got the juice
won't save your soul, it'll shine your shoes
Treated king to kangaroo
Santa Fe to Timbuktu
Don't be fooled by imitation
This is the stuff that cured a nation
We took the tube and the high plains too
Never stopped long just passing through
A drop of the laughter of the maids of France
Makes a hopeless cripple dance

It was really vile weather
When we got to tarred and feathered
You could hear the six guns sound
As they chased us out of town

In India we're all the rave
Discovered that its great as aftershave
Dropped in the sea just off Japan
Swapped 20 bottles for an aqua-walkman
Immunity from ridicule
Improves your brains if you're a fool
And I read in the Middle East
They traded some for a hostage release
Now if you're bald it'll give you hair
If you got straight trousers it'll give you flares
Feeling up you'll get depressed
Out of style here's a brand new dress

The stuff we sell is just the best
Passing all consumer test
Days of heaven, nights of sin
Voodoo stick and sharks fin
When all around you seems like hell
Just one sip will make you well
Multipurpose in a jar
If you ain't ill it'll fix your car
In days of yore for all bad feelings
Washing socks and stripping ceilings
Nowadays its used medicinally
For all known human malady

Quote Reply
Re: Is this supplement stuff BS? [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wonder if thats what did Sheila Toarmina in the first Tri Olympics

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been taking a lot of vitamins during those years of the last 15 when I was training hard. I read a book re. nutrition and endurance types by Costill (I think) who was kinda pointman during the 80's and 90's for a lot of sport science. Then I sat down and did some math re. what it would take to get a fair fraction of the vitamins that Costill was saying I needed. That added up to 3x multivitamins/day with some additional ABCDE, and fish oil.

Sure, it's hard to be both the test group and control group, but I feel strongly that the multivitamin regimen helps me recover faster. Nothing tricky, it's just mass market generic multivitamins from the grocery store.

My diet has never been that great, and it's not going to get better.

I also take a glucosamine product for my knees that are a bit low on cartilage. Sometimes glucosamine/chondroiten pills, but my favorite product is called Synflex. I don't know if it's a matter of bioavailability of the Synflex liquid, or if my glucosamine pills are just crap, but Synflex certainly seems to do better for me. Like the vitamin supplements the science here is iffy, but I've been taking the stuff a long time and I'm convinced that my knees recover (quit hurting) faster if I'm taking Synflex.

Finally, if I'm training hard, I take a protein pill before bedtime and another, if I remember, during the day. I want to make sure that my system has at least SOME high quality protein so that it can make repairs.

I rely on my diet of beer and pizza to make up the balance.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply

Prev Next