Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why is fabric more aero than skin?
Quote | Reply
I can probably answer my own question, but what is the primary reason of these three?

1) The fabric's texture trips the air better

2) Areas like the armpit get smoothed better ("bat wing" from mid upper arm to mid torso)

3) Obvious hair and vellus hair you cant see is a factor. Would a full body chemical dip in hair removal stuff change skin vs fabric any?

lastly those with experience do you think hi-pro fabric is cooler, hotter, the same? (for those that say cooler or the same, why does everybody un-zip on the run. Even the backs in ITU
Quote Reply
Re: Why is fabric more aero than skin? [Rider17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rider17 wrote:

lastly those with experience do you think hi-pro fabric is cooler, hotter, the same? (for those that say cooler or the same, why does everybody un-zip on the run. Even the backs in ITU

For me, it is the compression of the suit that I am trying to alleviate, not the heat. In other words, I unzip because I can breathe better.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I'm not exactly sure, 1. surface texture almost certainly plays a role otherwise any fabric would do (and some are good/bad); and 3. Specialized showed years ago that leg hair has a pretty big impact (IIRC 15W?), but not so much for arms/face. As for 2. I've not seen any data showing body sculpting suits' effects, but I'd tend to think they can't do that much without causing pain.

My suit certainly feels cooler to me. But under intense effort it is quite constricting and it's sometimes more comfortable to unzip a bit. Does everybody unzip on the run? Or do just a few notable front runners? IDK, asking.
-J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#3 is the big one.

Look at your forearm and how much wider it is when you take the hair into account. Sure air might flow through the hair, but it's tripping turbulent in the process. The main advantage of fabric is covering the hair.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply